Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 22re Charging and EGR Issue

Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 22re Charging and EGR Issue

Ok a couple odd issues I have had after finally getting my new to me 1994 4x4 pickup on the road.

1. Two times in three days the following has happened (happened much more often and did not correct itself without turning off the engine prior to me replacing the battery). I'm driving along and randomly the brake and battery ligjt on the dash illuminate, the voltage gauge shoots up to 18+ volts, and the radio shuts off. About 5-10 seconds later, the brake and battery light turn off voltage gauge drops back to 14.6 volts, and the radio comes back on and everything is normal. No codes are thrown at all. Does this sound like a short with the radio? I have only rewired the radio (switched back to the factory ground), driver side speaker (switched back to factory speaker wires pink/purple), and the VSS (wired a new connector). Wiring or is the alternator screwing up here?

2. I bought the truck with a brand new rebuilt 22re, but it came without the EGR system. I keep getting a code 71 check engine light ever 60-100 miles. How is that possible without the EGR system even being on the truck? How do I get rid of it? I read that the 10k resistor only works for california models, but I dont know.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The radio could be shutting off to protect itself from the high voltage. Very likely a problem with the alternator (regulator), get a rebuild kit (especially if you still have a denso, aftermarket ones are junk).

Lots of models meet the California emissions spec while not being sold in California, you'll need to get the resistor and find the harness section it goes in (if you don't have the right harness you will need to fabricate one).
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
It sounds more like an intermittent failure of the voltage regulator in the alternator. A fancy-enough radio will shut off in an over-voltage condition.

But you could have a wacky voltmeter for all we know. But if it's happened twice in three days, I'll bet you can get it to happen in the garage. Put your multimeter on the battery, and run it for a while. Wiggle the alternator wires if you have to. If you can get the voltage to spike, it's an alternator issue. Take the alt somewhere to have it tested. If it tests "good," you could have an open in the sense wiring.

Code 71 is an open in the sensor circuit. How much more open could it be than "not there"? Code 71 shows you have a California ECU, at least.

Missing an EGR means you're poisoning us all. I'd get the EGR system back where it belongs, and we can all breathe. Others may have different ideas.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. That makes sense on the radio/alternator issue. I'll wiggle the wires on the alternator to see if there is a loose wire or something.

Yes I am aware that the EGR being removed is bad for the environment, but I didn't do it! I don't even have the parts to get it up and functioning, otherwise I would put it back on. I believe I know where the resistor needs to be added (there is a connection on the back of the EFI towards the cab), but I have seen people put the resistor on the male blades. My truck has the female connector wired back to the ECU, so I need to put it there right?