86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 toyota pickup 22re wont rev past 3500rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 toyota pickup 22re wont rev past 3500rpm

So i bought this 93 toyota pickup for $550 not running, it has about 177k miles on it, and its from California. ( im in michigan ) Anyways, i got it running, bought new injectors, replaced several things, and now i have a hard time getting up to 70 mph, and it starts pegging out at 3500-4000 rpm, ( truck didnt have a tach so i put some aftermarket one one, hell , gives it about 60 more horse power right? ) so i started to mess with the timing, and that wasnt it, started to mess with the idle and air flows, nothing, so .. maybe its just me, or this truck really has no balls behind it, i understand its a inline 4 pushing roughly 150hp , but you would figure i wouldnt have to redline it to get it to do 60 mph?
ALSO when i go WOT it barely accelerates, but when its like.. about an 1/8 throttle, it'll find a set of balls and start to speed up.. any ideas? rev limiter? if so anyway to remove?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 93yoterexploder
So i bought this 93 toyota pickup for $550 not running, it has about 177k miles on it, and its from California. ( im in michigan ) Anyways, i got it running, bought new injectors, replaced several things, and now i have a hard time getting up to 70 mph, and it starts pegging out at 3500-4000 rpm, ( truck didnt have a tach so i put some aftermarket one one, hell , gives it about 60 more horse power right? ) so i started to mess with the timing, and that wasnt it, started to mess with the idle and air flows, nothing, so .. maybe its just me, or this truck really has no balls behind it, i understand its a inline 4 pushing roughly 150hp , but you would figure i wouldnt have to redline it to get it to do 60 mph?
ALSO when i go WOT it barely accelerates, but when its like.. about an 1/8 throttle, it'll find a set of balls and start to speed up.. any ideas? rev limiter? if so anyway to remove?
More info needed for a good guess as to why you've got these problems. Is it an auto or manual? What size tires? Why wasn't it running when you got it? And what repairs did you have to do to get it going?

Also, the 22re had just over 100hp new off the lot. They were only intended to be small truck engines that had better-than-average durability and longevity with decent low-end torque. Expecting much more than that will set you up for disappointment. The old tired ones have much less power. I didn't test mine before the rebuild, but I would guess it was pushing between 60-70hp at 3500rpm and it didn't like being revved any higher than that. Like you, I had a tough time going over 70, especially if I wasn't cruising downhill!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Manual, stock size tires, andwe have no idea, the guy said it was driving then it wouldnt stay idling, so i replaced the injectors ( old ones were junk,) i replaced them with 4 hole injectors (compared to the stock 2 hole) and yes, im practically leaking gas out of my tail pipe, i adjusted the valves, checked the timing ( had to redo it because old owner messed with it, it was 3 teeth advanced) replaced plug wires , did alot of airleak seals ( gaskets and hoses ) did a vacuum delete (yes it helped alot, i think one of the sensors were bad causing it to run like crap) and i think thats about it.. truck runs great it 93 octane, anything else it seems to lack power, ( i was told these engines didnt like 93).. oh also did an egr delete , i dont think it really did anything, still runs the same with it off.. most people say it really helped their trucks but imma call bull.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 93yoterexploder
Manual, stock size tires, andwe have no idea, the guy said it was driving then it wouldnt stay idling, so i replaced the injectors ( old ones were junk,) i replaced them with 4 hole injectors (compared to the stock 2 hole) and yes, im practically leaking gas out of my tail pipe, i adjusted the valves, checked the timing ( had to redo it because old owner messed with it, it was 3 teeth advanced) replaced plug wires , did alot of airleak seals ( gaskets and hoses ) did a vacuum delete (yes it helped alot, i think one of the sensors were bad causing it to run like crap) and i think thats about it.. truck runs great it 93 octane, anything else it seems to lack power, ( i was told these engines didnt like 93).. oh also did an egr delete , i dont think it really did anything, still runs the same with it off.. most people say it really helped their trucks but imma call bull.
I agree with you on the egr-delete stuff. I tried that before and it seemed to help at the time, but now I have it back on after cleaning, freeing the pintle on the valve and replacing it's hoses. It's fine and is now probably doing what it's supposed to: lowering combustion temps on long highway drives while reducing NOx.

With the extra info you gave, I suspect in addition to having a tired old 22re, you might have some valve and/or piston damage. 3 cam sprocket teeth advanced = 30°!!! That's just too far on a stock 22re and there could've been contact under load as well as the strain of extra compression.

Have you compression tested? Do it once dry and a second time with a shot of oil in each cylinder to help seal the piston and give you an idea about the valves. Perfect compression is a little over 170psi, less than 140 isn't great and under 120 may not fire at all. Don't forget to pull the EFI fuse or you'll spray gasoline.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 AM

The guy said he did a compression test, ( which im at the point where anything this guy says is bull) but when i get the chance ill do the dry/wet test, i have the truck up here at my shop,
Old 09-23-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Well yours runs better then mine with a brand new engine .

About 15,000 miles

You do have a engine with a little over 100 Horse Power much closer to 100 the 150 I am not sure what your expecting !!

Do you happen to know your Curb Weight ??

Mine is close to 4000 pounds on my 87 4Runner
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM

wouldnt be as high as yours i imagine, ill walk out and take a look, the truck should be light, its a 2wd with no options , so i wanna say about 2900-3200? sounds about right? idk ill go look right now ,
Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
That is with me out of the vehicle add another 450 pounds if I get in.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Another thing to keep in mind with the 22re is that it's power band starts around 2000rpm up to about 3800. A road test of a brand new 4runner back in 1985 got 0-60mph in 18.something seconds cause they're slow little trucks. There's nothing to be gained by trying to hit 4000rpm, especially on a high mileage stock engine. I agree with wyoming9, you're expecting too much.

That said, I'd still be concerned about the effects of having run your engine with 30° of advanced timing. If you advanced it at the distributor when you were trying to tune it, you had it even more than 30° advanced. Those fancy adjustable cam gears only allow +/- 10° for a reason. Does it burn a noticeable amount of oil?