86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 P.U. 22RE overheating & losing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
How are you bleeding it? Keep the cap off, elevate the front end if you are able to ( make the radiator the highest point in the cooling system) and let it run for a while, adding coolant when needed. It takes a while usually so be patient . Maybe try 60/40 mixed coolant.

I'm not sure whether it would make a difference if you ran the motor with the cap on or off, but it might take pressure in the system to properly circulate the coolant?

Either way, get the thing running, and let it heat up. You propably WILL want to run the radiator cap, as the radiator's water level will start rising and come out the top, when the coolant begins to warm. Once the things starts getting hot, carefully pop the cap and you'll propably have a pretty good release of steam, indicating that you had air in the system. Top it off and repeat a few times until you can be sure.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh boy, you guys are trying to get the man to burn himself, lol

personally, I will NEVER remove the cap from a hot radiator any more, not after having one blow up in my face one day...

I guess if you pile on a bunch of rags around the cap and under your hand, you should be safe, but for god's sake BE CAREFUL DOING THAT; 190 degree coolant is NO JOKE!!! it will burn your skin the same way 190 degree steel would

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by YFZsandrider
Well, for one thing- if you start the motor and let it warm up, then with a rag or towel, pop the radiator cap and if steam is coming out, then you've got air in the system, allowing it to boil(or to a lesser degree, it will make some serious steam).

Even if you fill your radiator after having the coolant lines exposed, you may, and propably will still have some good air pockets in the system. So run the thing with your heater blowing, and let the temp get up, but not dangerously high. Then turn it off, and carefully check the radiator level. Top it off if necessary. It might take a few attempts to let all the possible air gaps surface through the radiator.

Also, while doing this, check to see how hot the heater is blowing. If that temp guage says warm or hot, and the heater is blowing cool, the you've got a pocket of air that just happens to be in the heater core.
How are you bleeding it? Keep the cap off, elevate the front end if you are able to ( make the radiator the highest point in the cooling system) and let it run for a while, adding coolant when needed. It takes a while usually so be patient . Maybe try 60/40 mixed coolant.
I'm not sure whether it would make a difference if you ran the motor with the cap on or off, but it might take pressure in the system to properly circulate the coolant?

Either way, get the thing running, and let it heat up. You propably WILL want to run the radiator cap, as the radiator's water level will start rising and come out the top, when the coolant begins to warm. Once the things starts getting hot, carefully pop the cap and you'll propably have a pretty good release of steam, indicating that you had air in the system. Top it off and repeat a few times until you can be sure.
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

personally, I will NEVER remove the cap from a hot radiator any more, not after having one blow up in my face one day...

I guess if you pile on a bunch of rags around the cap and under your hand, you should be safe, but for god's sake BE CAREFUL DOING THAT; 190 degree coolant is NO JOKE!!! it will burn your skin the same way 190 degree steel would
Tnx guys ! and no Im not goin to make the engine hot then pop the cap off LOL. when I was bleeding it for about 30 mins with rags around it their was a lot of coolant that was rising to the top and some steam when the T-Stat would open up, everytime the t-stat open the level would go down and I would add coolant imediately, btw I did have the heater blowing and it was very hot,how hard could this be ive replaced a lot of radiators in my time water pumps t-stats Ive never had this much problems before, but ill try again its just that Ive used a lot of coolant already andy its starting to get expensive LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 AM

I drove the thing about 100 miles yesterday just to test it, it never overheated just if I stoped for a extended period of time (10 to 15mins ) but really would not totaly overheat, temp would slowly rise to about 3/4 but once I start driving even a little bit it would go back to normal easly not like the other day when it got hot it stayed hot. I checked the coolant level when the engine cooled down and it was just a little low. The truck should be able to stay stoped for extended periods of time without the temp rising and thats driving me CRAZY LOL !
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by calderondean
....Ive used a lot of coolant already andy its starting to get expensive LOL
Antifreeze isn't chreap, but quitre buying it pre-diluted!! Half of what you're paying 10 bucks for is water!! Just buy antifreeze and get an old clear container that you don't use anymore(mine is an old windshield washer fluid bottle), make a mark at the half-way point, and fill half with water, then top off with antifreeze. You could always put the cap back on after you've added a little of your mix to your radiator.

That's my "pre-mix"

oh, and by the way,

when it comes to popping the radiator cap when its hot, don't wait until it's screaming hot, do it when its a little warmed up. stack a couple rags on the cap, and slowly loosen the cap letting the pressure slowly bleed out. Don't do anything stupid, grow a pair, and don't forget to use your brain!

Last edited by YFZsandrider; 08-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, he can use the containers from the premix coolant he has gotten

I would only run toyota red in my truck though

Do you have a fan shroud???
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
I had the same issue, but mine was a head gasket leak. Stopped losing coolant after I replaced it. I never had any leaks either, just lost coolant and could smell it once in a while.
Well, for one thing- if you start the motor and let it warm up, then with a rag or towel, pop the radiator cap and if steam is coming out, then you've got air in the system, allowing it to boil(or to a lesser degree, it will make some serious steam).

Even if you fill your radiator after having the coolant lines exposed, you may, and propably will still have some good air pockets in the system. So run the thing with your heater blowing, and let the temp get up, but not dangerously high. Then turn it off, and carefully check the radiator level. Top it off if necessary. It might take a few attempts to let all the possible air gaps surface through the radiator.

Also, while doing this, check to see how hot the heater is blowing. If that temp guage says warm or hot, and the heater is blowing cool, the you've got a pocket of air that just happens to be in the heater core.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

Antifreeze isn't chreap, but quitre buying it pre-diluted!! Half of what you're paying 10 bucks for is water!! Just buy antifreeze and get an old clear container that you don't use anymore(mine is an old windshield washer fluid bottle), make a mark at the half-way point, and fill half with water, then top off with antifreeze. You could always put the cap back on after you've added a little of your mix to your radiator.

That's my "pre-mix"

oh, and by the way,

when it comes to popping the radiator cap when its hot, don't wait until it's screaming hot, do it when its a little warmed up. stack a couple rags on the cap, and slowly loosen the cap letting the pressure slowly bleed out. Don't do anything stupid, grow a pair, and don't forget to use your brain!
Hey guys the truck is still overheating I got it to stay cool for a couple of days then it will start to loose coolant and overheat Ive tried everything I tnink, so now Im sure that there is something wrong with the head or head gasket. The engine is a rebuilt engine but probaly is a bad rebuilt engine ! does anyone know where or if I can still get a used low miles engine from Japan here in the L.A. area. K Watanabe is the place I use to go but they have been closed for about 4 years now. Pls. HELP Tnx.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont get too hasty, I had my headgasket done for $300 and that stopped my leak. And you should be able to see or smell the coolant somewhere if it's the HG leaking. Mine was leaking into the exhaust system, could see smoke or steam coming out at night with lights shining on it.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 AM

1990 p/u overheating and losing coolant

My 1990 P/U has been losing coolant for the last 8 months and overheating a bit. Last night it started to steam and was out of coolant (which I filled a couple days ago) Just had a new T-stat put in and radiator cap. Coolant is sprayed on the outside of the engine...still bad rad cap? No smell of exhaust in coolant. Rebuilt at 150k (I think).I am by no means a mechanic, but I am trying to figure this out! Help!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yota Girl
My 1990 P/U has been losing coolant for the last 8 months and overheating a bit. Last night it started to steam and was out of coolant (which I filled a couple days ago) Just had a new T-stat put in and radiator cap. Coolant is sprayed on the outside of the engine...still bad rad cap? No smell of exhaust in coolant. Rebuilt at 150k (I think).I am by no means a mechanic, but I am trying to figure this out! Help!
Does it still overheat right after you top off the coolant?

From your description the problem is either the water pump or leak in the radiator since you are seeing coolant on the engine. Is the coolant isolated on a particular part of the engine?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM

No , doesnt seem to overheat when I top off the coolant. The coolant is on the right side of the engine, not very localized.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM

my mechanic looked at it and i have a blown head gasket, need an exhaust manifold, water pump is iffy (still not sure if head is cracked). ughhh should I pay to have it repaired or just sell and get a newer p/u? Would anyone by a truck with a blown head gasket? big bummer
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Yota Girl
my mechanic looked at it and i have a blown head gasket, need an exhaust manifold, water pump is iffy (still not sure if head is cracked). ughhh should I pay to have it repaired or just sell and get a newer p/u? Would anyone by a truck with a blown head gasket? big bummer
That doesn't sound right... Headgaskets typically leak interaly when there is a problem causing white smoke from the exhaust - are you seeing that? Is it missing at all, loss of power... Etc.

Plus, what is wrong with the exhaust manifold? Nothing really goes wrong with them? Like I said, something isnt right with the mechanics assessment.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Its not missing and no loss of power, but I am seeing that thick white steam. Havent gotten the details on the exhaust manifold yet. Losing pressure and going to check to see if head is cracked...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Question

Just talked to my mechanic, said whole job will be about $1100, thats to fix everything (hg, exhaust manifold, water pump, valve job etc). Said a new exhaust manifold (which has a large crack) will cost about $150 new, what are your thoughts on a used one? bad idea? I see them online for about $70...thanks for your help!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM

reasonable?

So a cylinder is shot and since it has been machined too many times i need a new one. As well as a new exhaust manifold since it has a large crack and new water pump...quoted me around $1,500. Does this sound right? any advice? He wants to replace the engine, but I can't afford it. Truck has 206k miles on it.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by calderondean
Im working on a 1993 Pick Up with a 22RE engine. I odered the dual stage thermostat today (90916-03070) but not really sure if that will fix the problem. The truck has a new radiator new water pump new belts and hoses and the engine has been recently rebuilt, but for some reason it tends to run hot and it will loose some coolant everytime I check the radiator,but their is no leaks anywhere I look, has anyone had this problem before please HELP !

I just home from town like 5 mins out n I had engine coolant comin out for like 15 secs then stop period. What could it be?