Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1992 4runner AC change over

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 4runner AC change over

Well I know that the old system in the 1992 was originally filled with r12. So time to convert to a r134a system. If anyone out there remembers all the parts to do this I would appreciate the knowledge. I'm going to invest the money for new parts where needed, but I have some good wrecking yards in Portland also if I can get away with using 1994 or 95 parts for this 3.0 V6.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have to replace the dryer and a few hoses, but don't quote me on that. r-134a has higher pressure requirements and the newer systems are copper vs the older aluminum. there are a few straight drop in refrigerants like Hot Shot or Kar Kool that I have used and work great, but you'll have to find out which states you can purchase it in (I think the last time I got some it was from Minnesota). Another one that is fairly new and I'm not sure how easy to get is HFC 152a. There may be others out there that don't require any modifications as well. One last thing would be to check with Toyota, a while back there was an A/C recall on 4Runners. Mine was supposed to be done over 4 years ago but I lost the notice and since my AC "is colder than a Well diggers a$$ in a brass bra" I don't really want it changed. hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM

It helps

Thanks for the info, gives me a point to start at with research. I really don't use the AC much but it's been 90+ here lately and the AC would be nice.
I'm going to Toyota on Monday to ask them the coolants they use in these old systems.

Thanks again
Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM

I believe in Oregon you go to a parts store and pick up a conversion kit for around $50.00. I heard they work fine.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The RIGHT way is to change at least the hoses and the dryer, but yeah, I just used one of the $50 conversion kits. Note that you need to completely evacuate all the R12 out of the system, and you need a capture machine to do that legally. Mine was pretty much totally drained anyways, so I didn't have to worry about it.

NOTE: the lubrication for the compressor is different and incompatible between R12 and R134a. I am fully prepared that my compressor will die at some point and I may have to replace it. I'm just hoping I can make it through this summer before that. Also, the R134a molecule is smaller than the R12 and can leak through the normal hoses, so you may have to recharge it more.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Dang gum! I might just rip my a/c out when it dies. Drive around with Kansas style a/c (windows down driving 80).
Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zealot
Dang gum! I might just rip my a/c out when it dies. Drive around with Kansas style a/c (windows down driving 80).
I do the same thing, but unfortunatly it dosnt work when you are going 10km/h in traffic I wish my a/c would work!!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 PM

AC evacuation with R12

Yeah, I will take it to a shop to evacuate the old R12. I don't think the Ozone layer needs another hit from my old AC. I just want to get the parts lined up and then take it in to have it done. Or at least know what parts will have to be replaced before hand since I just had a mechanic try to charge me $800 for a MAS or VAS actually.
When he quoted me that price, I took him one from a 95 4runner that I got from a wrecking yard for $60 and said get it running and I'm gone. I really need a good shop that knows Toyota trucks in the Tigard or surrounding area.
There are still a couple things that are beyond my ability I need done. I have a vibration in the front axle when in 4 wheel drive, and I would like to have the truck setup correctly on a scope, it runs rich right now and my mileage could be better.

Thanks for the info again
Old 07-09-2007, 03:30 AM

I run 134 in my 90 xcab. I have had no problems for 2 years now but I did choose to dump out the compressor and change the oil out to ester oil. The one single most important thing to avoid is anything with PAG oil in it as PAG combined with the old r12 mineral oil makes a nice ac killing cottage cheese substance. Anything you buy to put into your system needs to be lubrcated with ester as it is compatible with r12 mineral oil.

1) You can pick up a dryer for $15 at NAPA (Don't open it till your ready to install it)
2) 22-24 oz's of r134 referigerant (usually two 11-12 oz cans). Thats if your runner calls for the same .6-.8kg of r12 that my 90 xcab and my friends 88 runner call for. When converting r134 is approx 10% more volume by weight than r12 so you use 10% less 134.
3) You will need the port adapters (under $10 at most parts stores)
4) I bought a bulk pack of the approved green O-rings ($20 at auto zone) and simply replaced every one I could get my hands on (motor was out).

If you felt like driving to Salem I would probably be willing to help ya out. I have a vacuum pump and a manifold set.

edit...I think most shops are required by law to evac an r12 system free of charge if you ask. Besides they will just filter the r12 and resell it.

Last edited by Ganoid; 07-09-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM

I'll take you up on that offer

Well let me get through this month. I'm on call at my work this week, and I'm selling off one of my favorite cars at the end of the month. My 1983 VW GTI which I have had since 1990 is going to a good home.
After that I'm good for time. I'll bring it down to Salem anytime since you've done this before. I'm looking at replacing the front axle right now, just staying with stock gearing and IFS for now.
I will PM you in about a week. I appreciate the offer to help me out, very cool of you.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Wow I didnt do any of that stuff?
I replaced a hose that had leaked the old stuff out, then I screwed on a low and high pressure adapter valves from a kit and finally charged it with an all in one oil and 134 bottle and the AC works great.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Hi John, I know that this is an old post but I'm hoping your still around and can help me. By the way I am Patrick. New to the forum. I am in Oregon and am wanting to convert my AC. I also have the 92 4Runner. I bought the kit from my local parts house and am ready to get started. The problem is that I am not sure which of the ports to hook the freon to. I see two on the drivers side and close to the fire wall. One is up about 4 or 5 inches from the other and has a red cap. The other has black. Not sure which is the low or if I am even on the right track. Can you help with identifying the low port? Have any pictures of your conversion?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
epic bump o.0
you probably should have just started a new thread lol
Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

You need to connect to the low pressure side, I'm pretty sure it's the one closest to the firewall (my truck is up north right now or I'd go out and look) it also should be the bigger diameter line. If I remember correctly you shouldn't be able to hook up the wrong one because the fittings are different sizes 7/16 low and 3/8 high unless its already 134a then it's the smaller metric size, might even be a quick coupling. Also for more verification Low side accumulator to the compressor and high side compressor to the condenser. Oh and by the way I didn't covert to the 134a because I lost the notice from Toyota and I haven't had any problems with the r12 yet. Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

So what this is just a dead string now?

PMwheat/ALL-

Looks like a fairly common issue with these older runners. I tried the a/c on the 92 for the first time today on the way to work and I may not be the most sensitive to cold but it felt lukewarm.

Wouldn't mind doing a write up with illustrations for everyone while I do the repair. Anyone have some solid reading material for a 30min $#!+ break...no really.. Any documentation would be appreciated, and this weekend when I do the repair I can post pics once its icy.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by BeenYota; 04-05-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

I converted mine (dryer, oil flushed and replaced in compressor, o-rings, etc.), but I am a bit disappointed by the amount of cooling. The pressures look normal, but it's not very cold. I'm wondering if you're supposed to replace the expansion valve. I know 134 doesn't cool as well as R12 does. But I think it should be doing better.

Anyone got one that cools well? What pressures are you running?