Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991 4WD Pickup - Can You Tow On All Four Wheels?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 4WD Pickup - Can You Tow On All Four Wheels?

Hi - I am interested in towing my 1991 Toyota, 4WD Pickup on all four wheeels behind a motorhome. I have a V6 engine, manual transmission and auto-locking hubs. I have talked to at least a dozen different sources about this question and everyone has a totally different answer as far as whether it can be done safely without damaging the drivetrain. Does anyone have expereince towing one of these on all fours?

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Leave the front hubs unlocked. Remove the rear driveshaft.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. If you notice from my initial post I have auto locking hubs in the front so I have no ability to "unlock" them. Have you towed one of these before yourself? Everything that I've heard so far suggests potential problems are with the front axle. From what I've heard as long as you leave the transmission in neutral there is no need to disconnect the rear driveshaft.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
As I understand it, the reason one removes the driveshaft is to avoid turning the internals of an automatic transmission, when the internal hydraulic pumps are not running.

A manual transmission doesn't have pumped oil, so it should be fine to turn the output shaft as long as it is in neutral. I haven't found anything about this (yet) in a Toyota publication. Of course, miles on the transmission are miles on the transmission, so disconnecting the driveshaft would be a slight improvement, but you have to weigh that against the work reconnecting it each time you want to go someplace. And if you were worried about miles, you'd get a trailer.

I'm not entirely sure what "auto-locking" hubs are. If they are the factory ADD, they disconnect in the front differential, not at the hubs. But having the half-shafts driven by the wheels is the ordinary circumstance in 2wd, so I can't see how it would be any different towing.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Thank you Scope103. That certainly makes sense regarding the rear driveshaft with a manual transmission. As for the front driveshaft, my Toyota Owners Manual refers to the automatic connection as "auto-locking hubs". Maybe this is just for the convenience of the reader. While I'm not sure exactly how this feature engages, and/or disengages, I am curious if you know. Some have said that my vehicle can be towed safely with manual locking hubs, but not with the auto-lock feature. Any thoughts on why some believe this is a problem? In theory what components in the front drivetrain will be turning with the vehicle being towed with an auto-lock front end?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM

There are many threads on here about this if you use your search feature.

This was a great one.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...hy-not-194612/

Read them before you screw up a nice truck.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jslone
There are many threads on here about this if you use your search feature.

This was a great one.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...hy-not-194612/

Read them before you screw up a nice truck.
Dude, did YOU read it? Evidently not. Because it doesn't apply.

Originally Posted by Alpinexplorer
If you notice from my initial post I have auto locking hubs in the front so I have no ability to "unlock" them. Have you towed one of these before yourself? Everything that I've heard so far suggests potential problems are with the front axle. From what I've heard as long as you leave the transmission in neutral there is no need to disconnect the rear driveshaft.
First, if you have no ability to unlock the hubs, then they're not locking hubs, they would be drive flanges(and you have ADD). Second, your truck didn't come from the factory with automatic locking hubs. It came with free wheeling(manual locking) hubs, or drive flanges if you have ADD. Third, automatic locking hubs are most certainly unlockable, or they wouldn't be considered as "locking"(by definition, if it locks, it unlocks). Fourth, the only way to lock or unlock automatic hubs is to engage the transfer case(as in shifting it into 4H or 4L). Because the action of locking/unlocking them requires the front axle to be turning the half-shafts. Which is hard to explain. But put simply, if it's not in 4WD then they'll remain unlocked at all times. Unless they happen to be locked from previously using 4WD. In which case they can be unlocked by reversing the vehicle's direction last traveled in 4WD. Meaning, if they were locked in forward travel, simply driving in reverse (w/ 4WD engaged) for a short distance will unlock them. Or vice versa. And once they're unlocked, nothing will lock them aside from engaging or continuing to drive in 4WD.

Next, everything you heard about the problems potentially being with the front axle was wrong. Regardless of the hub type. There's a way to keep the front driveshaft from spinning with any of them. And the front driveshat spinning would be the only thing that could potentially cause a problem.

Lastly, most of the potential for problems is really in the transfer case. By leaving it in 2H that will allow for the the oil in it to be pumped to all the bearings needing it(by action of the rear driveshaft/t-case output shaft spinning). Any other selection, besides N, will also turn the front driveshaft, which would minimally cause wear to parts that don't "need" to be turning all the time(or at all while being towed). Selecting N will be where you'll run into problems. Because that will prevent the input shaft from spinning, and in turn prevent it from powering the oil pump. Bearings will run dry...and need I say more? Transmission in N is a no brainer. As that's the only way it can be done. And as stated prior, it's not likely to cause any issues due to lack of lubrication. I say not likely because it's hard to say for sure. So the safest bet is to disconnect the rear driveshaft.

Here's a good thread you should ACTUALLY read: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...estion-227621/

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Is it windy in here?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Thank you very much for your thorough response. I have a much better understanding now why the question of towing flat is so unclear--because there really isn't a clear answer. It makes more sense now why Toyota does not recommend towing this vehicle. Some have reported no problems at all with towing flat while others have suffered a lot of damage. Since there isn't a clear answer I guess the most logical answer is simply--don't do it. Don't take the chance. Guess I'll be looking into a good trailer. Thanks all for you comments!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jslone
Is it windy in here?
I was wondering that myself.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Didn't read any of the threads posted. Expert old dude Marlin of some place called Marlin Crawlers says the Toyota transfer case doesn't get lubed properly when flat towing. Pull the rear shaft.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
In the end a good trailer is easier and no wear and tear on your rig.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
Didn't read any of the threads posted. Expert old dude Marlin of some place called Marlin Crawlers says the Toyota transfer case doesn't get lubed properly when flat towing. Pull the rear shaft.
I could see that in some of the cases where oil is shared between the case and the trans, like many of the 3VZE's, but when the oil in there is separate from the transmission, what's slinging the oil around?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Unbolt the rear driveline at the axle and strap it to the frame someplace, it's 4 bolts and it'll save you a transfer case.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM

People really should read all the posts, and the information found in any links provided in a thread. BEFORE making comments intended to be of help. Cuts down on clutter, and prevents all types of confusion too.

Truth is, well, the truth has already been provided. Not going to repeat myself.

I did however find some more documentation stating that a 1991 Toyota 4WD PU with a manual transmission is towable AS IS. Meaning it's safe to do so without doing a thing. Though leaving the transfer case in 2H is a good idea IMO. And knowing EXACTLY how a transfer case oil pump works, I can tell you with 100% certainty there will be NO DAMAGE caused by lack of lubrication should you take my advice on that. If old man Marlin wants to argue with me on it...BRING IT ON!!! Though I highly doubt he would. He knows better actually.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles?...=971&year=1991

Oh and that windy sound you're hearing is most likely caused by air flowing freely in one ear, traveling through the empty space where the gray matter would ordinarily reside, then exiting the opposing ear.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-19-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM

cant we all just post awnsers without argueing or proving others wrong, this is an imformative thread, not a duel of knowledge........
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM

All I can say in response to that is apparently not. And that it's especially the case in any thread that I happen to post in. But I'm willing to accept 50% responsibility for that, and not 1% more. Because, after all, it takes 2 to tango.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM

If it helps, I did just recently tow my 91 xtra cab with a Uhaul 4 wheel auto transport. It fit really nice and towed great. The prices were really competetive. I guess if you're taking it camping every week behind your camper it would be pricy though. But, like has been mentioned, no wear or danger at all to your rig that might be caused by towing.

Last edited by jslone; 08-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
People really should read all the posts, and the information found in any links provided in a thread. BEFORE making comments intended to be of help. Cuts down on clutter, and prevents all types of confusion too.

Truth is, well, the truth has already been provided. Not going to repeat myself.

I did however find some more documentation stating that a 1991 Toyota 4WD PU with a manual transmission is towable AS IS. Meaning it's safe to do so without doing a thing. Though leaving the transfer case in 2H is a good idea IMO. And knowing EXACTLY how a transfer case oil pump works, I can tell you with 100% certainty there will be NO DAMAGE caused by lack of lubrication should you take my advice on that. If old man Marlin wants to argue with me on it...BRING IT ON!!! Though I highly doubt he would. He knows better actually.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles?...=971&year=1991

Oh and that windy sound you're hearing is most likely caused by air flowing freely in one ear, traveling through the empty space where the gray matter would ordinarily reside, then exiting the opposing ear.
The only clutter I see in this forum is you writing a novel (mostly filled with your own ego) every time someone asks a very simple question.

Since you obviously know everything there ever was/is/will be to know about Toyota trucks, why don't you talk the admins into taking our reply privileges away so you don't have to trip over someone else's reply on your way to being a hero? It's a public forum hot-rod, if someone else wants to reply to a thread you've already been the savior in, they're going to, get over yourself.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikeKid
The only clutter I see in this forum is you writing a novel (mostly filled with your own ego) every time someone asks a very simple question.

Since you obviously know everything there ever was/is/will be to know about Toyota trucks, why don't you talk the admins into taking our reply privileges away so you don't have to trip over someone else's reply on your way to being a hero? It's a public forum hot-rod, if someone else wants to reply to a thread you've already been the savior in, they're going to, get over yourself.
LOL
yotatech needs a "like" feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 4WD Pickup - Can You Tow On All Four Wheels?