YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   1990 Toyota Pickup 3.0 Roadtrip (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/1990-toyota-pickup-3-0-roadtrip-304323/)

JohnnyAK 05-08-2018 10:12 AM

1990 Toyota Pickup 3.0 Roadtrip

Alright, I’m heading from Fairbanks, AK down to Florida at the end of June. I just replaced my wheel bearings, rotors and brakes. Anything else I should just replace for the heck of it? I have a few other things in mind but I’d like to hear what everyone has to say. It has 154,000 on it

old87yota 05-08-2018 10:44 AM

:coffee:

That is a long way to drive! Don't drive too long at one time.

Is the engine due for a timing belt anytime soon? If so, that would be good to do.

Check the drive belts too.

I would also look at all of the fluids and see of it is time to change those out too such as coolant, brake and clutch (if manual) fluid, Transmission fluid/oil, differential gear oil, engine oil before trip,etc.

I would check all of the suspension and steering components to make sure that there is no excessive play in the joints, if you haven't already.

Basically check the regular maintenance items to see where they are at and repair or replace as necessary.

Do you have a spare tire? If so, you will want to make sure it is good to go and at the proper pressure. Nobody wants to find out they have a flat spare!

I am sure I am forgetting things... others will add their two cents.

:safari:

jreb10 05-08-2018 02:41 PM

To amplify on the comment regarding the spare tire, make sure the lowering apparatus is free and operates properly. I live in the rust belt and every fall I make sure to lower and re-lubricate the mechanism, otherwise it will seize. Also it's a good idea to check your jack for proper operation and make sure all the tools are in the kit. I do not like the wheel lug wrench and carry a 4-way wrench that gives me more leverage.

Always a good idea to have plenty of extra fuses of the right size and rating too. I also carry extra accessory belts for emergencies in case one breaks where they are hard to source. And a spare key hidden under the truck has bailed me out a couple of times.

schil01-camper 05-08-2018 02:47 PM

Wow, that is a long ways in an older truck. I'd suggest that you check your compression to make sure the engine is sound. When was the timing belt last done? Do you have a lot of confidence in the state of the engine and pickup in general?

I took off once for a tour of the US once in a 1965 VW bus without adequate preparation. I hit my first snag on the first mountain pass. I was learning how to adjust valves and fashion a make-shift replacement valve cover gasket out of a cardboard box on the side of the road.... A week later I was pulling the engine in Arizona... I only mention this because this kind of trip is really demanding on an older vehicle. You are clearly more prepared than I was as you are thinking about this ahead of time. However, my suggestion would be to hope for the best but plan for the worst. Put a good tool set together, all the spare parts you think you will need. A good jack, quality spare, etc. Make sure you take care of anything that doesn't feel right on your truck now. Tires, any engine issues, any funny noises? Deal with them now or be prepared to do so on the road. Changed your trans fluid recently? Any electrical issues that could derail you mid-trip?

I learned my lesson on that first road trip and now with my '87 camper on a 22re pickup frame I'm fully prepared. A few months ago the fuel pump died on a gravel road far from cell coverage. I had everything (including a spare fuel pump) I needed to drop the gas tank and change a fuel pump on the side of the road. Could have been a mess but it was fine due to planning ahead. Imagine yourself crossing the flatlands a hundred miles from any help. If you have the right kit and know-how (or a repair manual instead) then you can be ready for whatever happens. If you are comfortable with doing repairs as they come up on the road then you don't need to over-do it on the fixing now, but rather put a big list of spare parts together and have them on hand for the 'just in case'. You're going to use the parts anyways eventually I figure so I have pretty much a spare of every critical item in a box in the camper. Many are just used e-bay purchases just so that I have a spare. This is just my two cents. Take it or leave it of course, just thought I'd chime in.

Perhaps get a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and just substitute "pickup" for "motorcycle" when you read it.

RJR 05-08-2018 06:55 PM

Seriously guys? It's less than 5000 miles through mostly first world conditions, not to the moon and back. If this is the OP's daily driver and it runs well now, it will very likely still be running just fine when he gets to Florida. 154,000 miles isn't that high on a 1990 truck. Basically prepare like you would for any longer road trip. Change the oil, freshen and/or top off all the fluids, do any overdue maintenance such as timing belt, make sure the tires, other belts, and battery are good, load up your mobile device with your favorite tunes, and have a good trip.

On the other hand, if the truck has only been driven intermittently, runs poorly, or if maintenance has been neglected, a long road trip is not the time to try to iron out any issues. Vehicles are like houses - they need to be "lived in" continuously or they degrade while you're not looking, and then you can't depend on them.

As far as "not driving too long at one time", that's a good idea for the driver, but the truck won't care. Once it warms up it's in steady state, and parts don't wear out faster because you drove 800 miles in one day rather than 400 miles per day for two days.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to make a trip like that in either of my two 4runners, both of which have more miles than the OP's. It's a question of knowing the vehicle and having confidence in its current state of maintenance.

mholme 05-08-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RJR (Post 52398013)
Seriously guys? It's less than 5000 miles through mostly first world conditions, not to the moon and back. If this is the OP's daily driver and it runs well now, it will very likely still be running just fine when he gets to Florida. 154,000 miles isn't that high on a 1990 truck. Basically prepare like you would for any longer road trip. Change the oil, freshen and/or top off all the fluids, do any overdue maintenance such as timing belt, make sure the tires, other belts, and battery are good, load up your mobile device with your favorite tunes, and have a good trip.

On the other hand, if the truck has only been driven intermittently, runs poorly, or if maintenance has been neglected, a long road trip is not the time to try to iron out any issues. Vehicles are like houses - they need to be "lived in" continuously or they degrade while you're not looking, and then you can't depend on them.

As far as "not driving too long at one time", that's a good idea for the driver, but the truck won't care. Once it warms up it's in steady state, and parts don't wear out faster because you drove 800 miles in one day rather than 400 miles per day for two days.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to make a trip like that in either of my two 4runners, both of which have more miles than the OP's. It's a question of knowing the vehicle and having confidence in its current state of maintenance.

This is very good advice. I've driven old cars across the country and had no hesitation doing it. I did routine service before the trip and just took a basic tool set, coolant, oil and extra belts. And a AAA card just in case. Know the vehicle's current maintenance/health, do regular checks of fluids, belts, tire pressure at every stop and enjoy the trip.

Resting during the drive is very important. I tried to do a long stint once and around my 17th hour behind the wheel, I was getting tired, missed a blown truck tire in the road, ran over it and got a flat. I saw it before I hit it, but couldn't process what was about to happen until it was too late. Get plenty of rest.

old87yota 05-08-2018 07:33 PM

:coffee:

Seriously guys? It's less than 5000 miles through mostly first world conditions, not to the moon and back.

^^ This is why I said "Basically check the regular maintenance items to see where they are at and repair or replace as necessary." Nobody wants to do deferred maintenance on a road trip!
I do not agree with bringing every spare part under the sun. That is a lot of lost storage space and added weight! You just need to make sure the Truck is sound.

If most people actually did maintenance according to the service schedule, you would not really need to worry about long drives.

^^ Yes, I was referring to JohnnyAK driving, not the truck. Safety is what I am concerned with. These trucks are not self-driving!

The truck itself should be able to make it the whole way in one shot, if it weren't for fuel station fill-ups.

schil01-camper 05-09-2018 04:42 AM

Seriously guys?

Yea, I think RJR has the right perspective here.
I've got a small house (i.e. tool and part storage) on my pickup and that distorts my viewpoint I think. I like to be totally self-sufficient in my rig but i don't do that in my daily driver. Well, I'll let the OP take my suggestions for what they are worth and dial them back to a more reasonable level :-)

Gevo 05-09-2018 10:44 AM

DItto..

This past Sunday went on a trip where the car was running for more than 13 hours. 248k miles, also 1990 3.0. If you don't have any problems now you should be fine.

JohnnyAK 08-17-2018 03:04 PM

Made it back

just figured I’d let everyone know the truck made it just fine in 6 days. No problems at all. Thanks everyone for the help

old87yota 08-17-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyAK (Post 52405897)
just figured I’d let everyone know the truck made it just fine in 6 days. No problems at all. Thanks everyone for the help

Awesome! Just like it is supposed to!

coopster 08-19-2018 08:16 PM

What?? No travel-logue? Must've been a pretty cool trip!