Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 Toyota 4x4 Idleing problem

Old 03-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rbissonette
when you clean the IAC and put it all back together how far down do you tighten the nut down on the spring
as many turns as it took to remove it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there has to be a way of adjusting it correctly, if any one knows please let me know
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rbissonette
there has to be a way of adjusting it correctly, if any one knows please let me know
Maybe someone can post a pic of theirs to get an idea where it's suppose to be, but really it will be different after it is all cleaned anyway. Mine is for a 22RE so it would probably be different, otherwise I would post a pic of mine.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skjos
I just cleaned my throttle body and my truck is doing the same thing.
Idles a little high after the cleaning (I was expecting that), but I wasn't expecting the idle to drop and surge when I press on the brake pettle.
I did some more searching and found this post from GSGALLANT:
"There's information that relates that if the idle speed is too high, the ECU will not fire the injectors when the brake pedal is pressed in order to assist in engine braking. I cannot verify this but it comes from 4Crawler so I'll assume it to be true. If the brake booster has in fact been checked and is operating properly, the next time you get surging when pressing the brakes, disconnect the plug from the brake switch under the dash and see if it surges when you press the brake pedal down. If it doesn't, I think you can say the idle is too high. If it does then it's back to square one and looking at the booster. (Don't forget to plug the switch back in.)"

I never disconnected my brake plug, but I did turn my high idle (1,500rpm - after thottle body cleaning) back down to 800-850rpms, and the surging problem vanished.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
please tell just changed my and still can't get my to stop idling up and down and no power feeling in 4th and 5th gear.
Pull off the connector to the TPS on hte right of the throttle body, you will see four pins. Lets call the top one #1 and the bottom #4. Get a meter and put the leads on #2 and #4. The resistance reading should be a few hundred ohms.

Mine was open (0 ohms) so it was royally screwing my computer up. Turn the throttle plate full open, my new working TPS reads I believe 2500k ohms.

Here is a guide, I found it useful with the exception of wide open throttle reading being incorrect (it didn't match my brand new one).
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#TPSAdjustment

Just follow my directions really quick and see what reading you get before diving further into it. Let us know.

A new unit was like $120 at napa... make sure they give you the correct one, they have the wrong p/n in their system when I went for mine. Either the connector will be wrong, or the rotating part that mates to the throttle body will be 45deg in the wrong direction.

Last edited by LS1Steve; 03-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM

I will check the TPS to make sure it is adjusted properly as i just replaced it, as for the brake swith already tried it it made no difference at all. I am in the process of getting cooling system working again flushed the cooling system "nasty S**T" got thAT DONE just in time for the water pump to go out, also changed the fuel filter also in bad shape no change, new intake gaskets and a cleaan intake no change, but did find the hissing sound i am hearing when i put on the brakes is the power stearing pump but cant find any vacumme leaks there
Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM

I already tried to unplug the brake pedal switch, no change. I changed all intake gaskets, no change. New TPS, no change. flushed cooling system(nasty S**t) cahanged thermostat got done just in time for warter pump to go out, will post results when fixed
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Well, I finaly got the truck back together. New timing belt, water pump, oil pump. I drove it around for a little while last night, all seems to be working good, the idle still wants to jump about 500-600 rpm when i shift gears
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM

I would double check the timing, idle speed and TPS adjustment per the FSM. :2cents:
Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 AM

i think im getting closer to the end the truck is now running realy good with the exception of ... when starting the truck it idles perfect at around 1300 rpm, then it will drop to 500 rpm until the truck completely warms up when it will idle where it is suposed to be at 800 rpm I have double checked the timing and the TPS adjusment any other ideas or am i just going to have to live with this one???
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM

I know I'm new and this is a old post. But one I needed yesterday. I had the same issue. And think I got it fixed. So I figured I'd share what happened and maybe help someone else out.
Well about 2 months ago I needed to replace the head gaskets. You might know all the work needed for that. So anything was possible. Everything was running good I drove about 3000 miles. Well went 4wheeling the other day. BAM surging idle after. Well did a lot of searching on that issue.
This morning I did all the tests. Timing was dead on. Idle was 900. TPS working and was never touched so setting it wasn't needed. Vacuum lines all good. I did the booster test listed here. All pasted. Still had the issue. Then I watch a YouTube vid on the issue but on a 22r. It was from silicon clogging the water from flowing right to the TB. So I pulled that apart. On the 3vz its from manifold to the TB. Nothing was there. Well I desided to power flush the system. Not really a good idea but nether is ripping everything a part if I need to work later tonight.
Leaving the TB hose off the manifold connection. I removed the heater hose. Only the left (driver) side. Hook my watering hose with a 1/2 inch fitting to the heater hose. Turned heater switch to heat. Then turned on water low. Flushed heater core and watched as water flowed threw TB hose and manifold. I then turned heater to cold. Shouting core off. Water flowed from manifold good but not from hose on TB. So I used thumbs and plugged hose and nipple. Then when pressured to the point water was running to radiator overflow. I released manifold first. Repeated and released TB. Repeated that a few times. Water was flowing even now out of both. I then turned off water. Replaced hose on manifold. Turned on hose till I heard water going in overflow and turned it off. Removed hose and fitting. Replaced heater hose and turned heater to hot. Started the truck and let it get to temp with heater on high. Then aplyed brakes. Nothing! Let it cool down checked water level. Still good. Idled it back up and still no surge. Not its time to go for a drive and see how things really work under driving conditions. But I wanted to type this when it was fresh in my head. I use this site a lot but never had anything to offer till now. So I hope this helps someone. I'll be back in a few hours to say if problem is still going or is gone.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM

So after 2 hours of driving. Issue has not happened. So I think it was just something clogging the water ways.