Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 Toyo 4x4 Throttle body ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 Toyo 4x4 Throttle body ???

I have a 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup 3.0 V6. and need a throttle body. WIll this fit ?

1990 Toyota 4Runner V6 3.0L Throttle Body w/o cruise

Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep. Same year. Same motor.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM

ok, I just bought one that says it was on a 1995 Toyota 4x4 automatic. W/TPS. Whats TPS ? and does it matter if it was on a automatic and I have a 5 speed ?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Okay....wait a minute. I thought you were getting the one you highlighted with bold letters?

TPS is throttle positions sensor. Not sure if a '95 is compatible with a '90 vehicle. You'll have to check on that.

As far as the throttle body differences, I don't know about any changes, if any, were made between atleast '92 and '95 where design is concerned. I don't see any reason why it being from an auto would make a difference for a 5spd, though. Were it the other way around, there would be issues.

Send a PM to DeathCougar. He's a SuperMod here and knows more about year/model differences. Or, try calling him tomorrow at Nix99 (find the phone number on the web). His name is Josh "The Man". That's how you should ask for him, too. <<<snicker, snicker>>>
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Okay....wait a minute. I thought you were getting the one you highlighted with bold letters?

TPS is throttle positions sensor. Not sure if a '95 is compatible with a '90 vehicle. You'll have to check on that.

As far as the throttle body differences, I don't know about any changes, if any, were made between atleast '92 and '95 where design is concerned. I don't see any reason why it being from an auto would make a difference for a 5spd, though. Were it the other way around, there would be issues.

Send a PM to DeathCougar. He's a SuperMod here and knows more about year/model differences. Or, try calling him tomorrow at Nix99 (find the phone number on the web). His name is Josh "The Man". That's how you should ask for him, too. <<<snicker, snicker>>>
I appreciate the help. The ebayer has a Very good rep and said in his description that would fit 88-95.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Okay. Just make sure the TPS will work if you're thinking of using it. Just because the throttle body will work doesn't mean the TPS will. Even ebay sellers with good rep's can be wrong.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 PM

it most likely will work cuz its the same engine..but....your gonna wanna really make sure, unless you have your previous tps, then you could just swap it. i had mine go bad on my '90 4runner i used to have...and if i remember correctly, its a pretty penny to replace it...
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM

Just because it's the same engine doesn't mean it'll work, though. I know atleast from '89 to '92 the TPS connector was different. Razed makes a good point. Cross reference the part number from the seller's TPS and your original one. I didn't think of that. Glad razed is around......XXX
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 AM

lol yeah thats a good ideeeer. we musta posted around the same time. the tps isnt really THAT complex though. like it may just need adjustin but here i am just takin guesses lol
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 AM

You're right. It's not terribly complex. It's just good to know that there's differences sometimes from year to year. For example, you can't use early model injectors on later models for 22re's. They run on different voltage specs. I'm not familiar with all the differences, myself. So, I simply suggest finding out.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 AM

This all started when I took it to A Toyota dealer to change Timing belt water pump bla,bla,bla all that stuff. $850.
The service advisor called me shortly after they started working on it and said the Tech said I need a new throttle body cuz mine was corroded. new one $700 but they could get me a used one for $250.00 I was fed up and got it out of there. Just bought this TB for $40.00

Is the TPS cruise conrtol ? cuz I dont have cruise.

I bought it and have a guy I trust going to do all that work for me. Forgive me guys for being mechanically Dumb. I hope to learn more as I go.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There are different configurations on the 2nd gen Thottle Body Assembly. Finding out about that as my daugther has a 93 that needs her's replaced as the idle air control valve is possibly bad. Need to replace the TBA as the IACV is intergrated in the TBA. Picked up one from a 90 and a 92 and they are both different. what those differences are exactly, I'm not sure yet, but look at yours and visually check as well to see if the one you are going to purchase even looks the same. Both of the ones I found were off 3.0 with automatics but different years. It can be frustrating. As for eBay sellers, if they have been around and are doing this as a business, don't even believe all they post in their write ups. I have seen engine parts posted for Toyota vehicles that claim to be applicable for certain years when that engine wasn't even available for the years he claimed it was for. Educate yourself.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM

The TPS is the throttle position sensor. It tells the ECU how for open the throttle plate in the throttle body is open or closed so the ECU can dictate timing and injector pulse duration. It's not for cruise control.

A throttle body with cruise control linkage would still work on your vehicle. The CC device on vehicles equipped with one, has a cable that runs to this linkage so that is can automatically controlled the throttle plate opening.......for accleration, decelaration, and cruising. But, since you don't have the CC device or the cable, the linkage would simply stay there on the TB unused.

Also, on the automatics, there's a vacuum operated throttle opener that opens the throttle plate slightly more for proper idle once the engine is running. An automatic equipped vehicle requires a higher idle RPM because of the load placed on the engine by the auto tranny. The larger throttle plate opening at idle is the way Toyota designed it to accomplish this task. Otherwise, the throttle plate is more closed for start up. Somewhat of a choke device. This will be of no consequece to you, either, where your 5spd set up is concerned. You may be need to adjust your idle bypass screw or simply disable the throttle opener, though, to bring your idle down. However, were you to have an automatic without this vacuum throttle opener on the TB, it would then be an issue.

These are the only differences I know of. Otherwise, the TB should still bolt up just the same given the upper intake manifold (plenum) design is the same. That is to say where the TB mounts/bolts up to the plenum is the same.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Far out! So auto's should have a throttle opener? Because mine doesn't, and that's right, you guessed it, when I shift into drive the idle drops due to the load. Down to 700 odd. I wonder why the throttle body was ever changed, seems weird. I bought it from the company I work for knowing it had regular dealer servicing and I've been test driving it for 1000's of km's Plus it only cost $200 with brand new tyres

I do have another throttle body kicking around that does have a throttle opener on it. Guess I'll pop it on tomorrow and see if it does what it's meant to do.

The original owner before my company, owned a business that we acquired (truck was part of the deal). I imagine any changes would have been made during his ownership. Didn't realise he was such a muppet, shows how much I know.