YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   1990 pickup issues (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/1990-pickup-issues-306971/)

Xtracab_4x4 02-11-2019 06:38 PM

1990 pickup issues

Hello guys i have a 1990 toyota pickup and i have the issues of it not wanting to start its the 3vze. It cranks but no start it slowly seemed to have this issue with it not starting sometimes or taking a while to start but now it wont start. I changed my spark plugs,wire,cap,rotar, even my distributor also my igniter and coil and not a difference im guessing its fuel but im in the process of changing my fuel filter to see if thats the problem what do you guys think is it an electrical issue or fuel problem

scope103 02-12-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Xtracab_4x4 (Post 52418163)
... what do you guys think is it an electrical issue or fuel problem

I don't know. But I would have tried to find out before changing all those parts.

Start with spark. Put the inductive pickup of your timing light on each plug wire. If it flashes, you've got spark. While you're at it, check the ignition timing (you can't do it "right" without the engine running, but it only has to be close to start).

Check spark timing; spray a short bit of starting fluid into the intake. If it fires and runs for a few revolutions, you have good spark at the right time.

Check the fuel delivery. Replace the fuel return from the FPR with a 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl to suitable container. Start the pump by jumpering FP to B+. I get about 1/2 liter/min.

Check valve timing (the easy way) by checking compression.

Last, check for fuel injection. Crank the engine, quickly pull a plug. Wet with fuel? Dry?

There, in an afternoon you've checked everything. And not spent anything on parts (except the starting fluid).

Xtracab_4x4 02-18-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52418186)
I don't know. But I would have tried to find out before changing all those parts.

Start with spark. Put the inductive pickup of your timing light on each plug wire. If it flashes, you've got spark. While you're at it, check the ignition timing (you can't do it "right" without the engine running, but it only has to be close to start).

Check spark timing; spray a short bit of starting fluid into the intake. If it fires and runs for a few revolutions, you have good spark at the right time.

Check the fuel delivery. Replace the fuel return from the FPR with a 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl to suitable container. Start the pump by jumpering FP to B+. I get about 1/2 liter/min.

Check valve timing (the easy way) by checking compression.

Last, check for fuel injection. Crank the engine, quickly pull a plug. Wet with fuel? Dry?

There, in an afternoon you've checked everything. And not spent anything on parts (except the starting fluid).

thanks man i will try theses out and see what happens 👍

87-4runner 02-19-2019 02:26 AM

Great advice scope103...
well?