86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 4Runner (22re) stalls and will not start after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 4Runner (22re) stalls and will not start after warmed up

So this problem came on very abruptly and I could use some help trying to identify the source of the problem. I have a 1989 4Runner with a 22re engine, and the problem is that it wont start or stay running when its warmed up to normal operating temperature. When I let it cool down for about an hour or when its started cold it starts easy and runs just fine until it gets warm. Its random how long it will stay running before it starts to cut out, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 5 hours. If it dies while I'm driving, it feels like the gas pedal is cutting out for a few seconds, it gets no gas at all no matter how much I mash it then it will kick back on and run fine for another random amount of time. If it stalls when I'm stopped, it will turn over fine and act like it wants to start, like turning over at around 500 rpm or catching sometimes and turning over then immediately dying and will only start again after letting it cool down. If i hold the gas pedal to the floor and start it when its doing this, it will start up and idle extremely rough and at low rpm's until i let the pedal up at all. I also noticed my valve cover leaking oil (like squirting out onto my spark plug wires) which it never does, the bolts were a little loose and it stopped after I tightened them a bit (like 4 ft-lbs). Don't know if thats part of the same problem, though.

Earlier this week I replaced the wires, plugs, cap and rotor. I just replaced the fuel pump and it did not solve the problem. I have not checked the EFI main relay or the Circuit Opening Relay yet but I will tomorrow and post what I find. Which sounds most likely after I get a chance to check the fuses and relays? PCV valve, EGR valve, TPS, Fuel pump wiring itself, vapor lock, coil/igniter, something with the throttle body, coolant temp sensor or the brain or something? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi, dont know if youve fixed the problem yet but Ive fixed at least a half a dozen 22re's with these symptoms. Hopefully you have the same thing going on. There is a green colored temp sensor that tells the computer what the engine temp is. When it reads cold it puts extra fuel in to start. The problem is after it warms up its still putting way to much fuel into the engine and it floods. It will not start untill cold enough to handle the extra fuel. Every toy with those symptoms was fixed with a 35 dollar sensor. The kicker is every toy ive fixed by doing this has the code in the computer but does not trip the engine light on. Good luck hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by muddder
Hi, dont know if youve fixed the problem yet but Ive fixed at least a half a dozen 22re's with these symptoms. Hopefully you have the same thing going on. There is a green colored temp sensor that tells the computer what the engine temp is. When it reads cold it puts extra fuel in to start. The problem is after it warms up its still putting way to much fuel into the engine and it floods. It will not start untill cold enough to handle the extra fuel. Every toy with those symptoms was fixed with a 35 dollar sensor. The kicker is every toy ive fixed by doing this has the code in the computer but does not trip the engine light on. Good luck hope this helps!
What code does it throw?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Its going back a couple of years but Im pretty sure its a code 22. Its a code for the coolant temp sensor. I believe there was an ohm test you could do on the sensor and maybe the wiring to it but since the sensor was cheap enough I always just replaced it.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Its going back a couple of years but Im pretty sure its a code 22. Its a code for the coolant temp sensor. I believe there was an ohm test you could do on the sensor and maybe the wiring to it but since the sensor was cheap enough I always just replaced it.
Thanks, ive been having this problem... Replaced just about everything and have a new TPS to put in, I'm going outside to see if I can get a part number off of that sensor. Is it the one over by the coil on the right side of the engine bay?

Btw this is an 86 automatic 22re
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM

In the pick ups Its like under the throttle body if I remember right. There should be two sensors side by side and its the green one. I know there are posts that have drawings and pictures.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 AM

Sorry double posted
Attached Thumbnails 1989 4Runner (22re) stalls and will not start after warmed up-image-2142170224.jpg   1989 4Runner (22re) stalls and will not start after warmed up-image-1195982091.jpg  

Last edited by Buckhunter95; 12-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM

In the pick ups Its like under the throttle body if I remember right. There should be two sensors side by side and its the green one. I know there are posts that have drawings and pictures.
I believe the part you described is the cold start injector, located next to the hot start injector directly underneath the throttle body. One is red and one is green. I'll do some searching, thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Green sensor is the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT). Next to it is the cold start injector. There is no hot start injector.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jerry507
Green sensor is the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT). Next to it is the cold start injector. There is no hot start injector.
Oh okay, yeah, that makes sense, thanks!