86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Pickup 4x4 Transmisson Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 Pickup 4x4 Transmisson Removal Question

I'm trying to pull the transmission out and I removed the rear drive shaft easily. The front drive shaft I unbolted from the front axle but cannot get it to come apart. So I thought I'd just take out the bolts on the rear end of the front drive shaft that bolts to the transfer case. Having problems getting a socket attached.

My question is why will the front drive shaft not detach from the front axle? I shook the crap out of it trying to pull it out and nothing. Granted this truck has been parked out in the weather elements since around 1999. Haven't really had any issues with tearing it down until now. This transmission is trying to kick my butt.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
are you saying you cant get the splined section to pull apart? or are you saying you got all 8 drive shaft bolts off and its stuck on there? I find it pretty common for them to stick it place, I just stick a little cats paw or small pry bar into the recessed edge of the flange and pop it off. those bolts on the tcase end are a pain to get to though.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
There are two things causing the front driveshaft to be stuck in there. One is that it's probably stuck to the flange from years of being in there. Like keycw said, a pry bar should break that seal no problem. The second thing is that the driveshaft has a small nub that protrudes on both ends. The nub fits into a corresponding recess in the flange at both the differential and transfer case. This means that either the space between the transfer case and differential needs to increase, or the length of the driveshaft needs to decrease in order to get the driveshaft out. The driveshaft does have a slip joint but it doesn't get exercised during use like the one on the rear axle so it's quite possible that the slip joint is seized. Both the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly and the front differential are rubber mounted so you should be able to get enough flex to remove the driveshaft. It's just a matter of getting the right leverage.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You might also pull the zerk out of the slip joint to relieve any pressure in there. If the slip joint was recently and enthusiastically greased, there could be an effective hydraulic lock preventing the slip joint from collapsing.

As far as getting at the transfer case flange bolts, a couple of things.
- remove the dust cover, if you haven't already.
- Get a wobble extension in 3/8" drive and a short thin-wall socket to get better access. Rotate the drive shaft for best access. Having the nut you're working on rotated to the bottom of the flange is not the ideal location for access. The downward angle of the cardan joint will prevent easy access. You want the nut along side the flange.

- Final thought. The bolts in the tcase flange are (I'm pretty sure) pressed into place, so you'll have to remove the driveshaft from the front diff before you can get enough room to get it off the tcase anyway. The shaft won't collapse enough to get it off the pressed in bolts.

Last edited by RJR; 06-25-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I feel a little silly now. I used some penetrating oil on it. I never could find a way to remove the front shaft from the back side (transfer case side). However, I was able to use a pry bar, hammer, and some He-Man super strength to get the front off. It was seized up pretty bad. Thanks for the advice on such a simple question. You guys rock! I'm sure I'll have tons more questions soon. I know for a fact I'll be making a new thread tonight. Encountered some electrical stuff that I have no dang clue about.