Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 4runner knocking/tapping noise replaced main and rod bearings and timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4runner knocking/tapping noise replaced main and rod bearings and timing chain

i have a 87 4runner that ive had for about 6 months now was knocking when i got it sounded like rod bearings to me so i dropped my ifs and took my oil pan down took all my caps off and 1,2 were spun and 3 didnt look all that bad and 4 was really bad but for 250,,,, thats to be exspected and i had good oil presure even though all that was found.... i replaced rod,and main bearings plus timing chain.. put it all back together and its still making the noise sounds like its comming from the top and the back.. but when u get under it it sounds like its comming from the oil pan im thinking bent valve??????? and help please
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM

you did the bearings while it was still in the truck? or you just never took the head off? i would go back and take the head off and inspect it. maybe one of your gallys is plugged with shavings and the #4 bearing didnt get lubed? just throwing out guesses. how did you go about replacing everything?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM

yes i pulled the ifs out so that i could get the oil pan off dropped my sending unit and replaced my main and rod bearings torqued back to spec and lubed the bearings before i put back in checked wrist pins while i was in there there was no slop and also replaced timing chain and after i put back together it was about the same and it was missing with holding at 2000 or more rpms and pulled the cover checked cam timing marks and all that everything was right changed the rotor button and cap new plugs and wired but nothing changed and then pulled each wire one bye one while running and when i pulled number 1 nothing changed so number 1 isnt firing for some reason now im getting spark and fule need to do a compression test idk what it could be
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM

So I'm guessing you did the whole thing without taking the motor out? You state that you drop the ifs and oil pan and did everything from underneath. I don't even know if that's even possible. I mean how can you take the main bearings out if the crankshaft is connected too the flywheel and clutch assembly/torque converter. You might want to clear up your story a bit sorry if I'm sounding like a major d*ck.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
If 2-3 of your rod bearings were spun pretty bad, did you check the rods for straightness? also the crank might have been wore down, out of round, or gouged while running with those bearings so if you put standard size back in then you'll have some play and likely knocking sound. I think standard procedure is to pull the crank and have it inspected.

Yes, how did you get the mains out with the crank in? Easily the cap side, but the other half under the crank? did you get something to push the bearing from one end and then it was enough to peek the other side out enough to slip it out from under the crank journals?

Personally, once I would've seen those bearings I would've pulled the motor and did a rebuild.

Last edited by Grego92; 08-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth it is quite easy to get the main bearings out from underneath.The new ones installed.

In my case there was no scoring of the crank engine still runs fine 40 or 50 thousand miles and several years later

Not something I am a big fan of but it can be done.

If the crank was scored or even worn it was a waste of time to put new bearings in and not expect trouble.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 AM

yes was all done underneath the truck and you can roll the bearings in i know it can be done because i did it the crank still looked to be good no scaring or groves or anything you can spin the crank slowly to roll the mains in if your having trouble getting them to go in with out spinning the crank.... were lubed when done
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 AM

and it sounds like its comming from the top and back of the motor on 3,4 maybe but i realized that u can kinda here it in the exhaust?? could that mean bent exhaust valve??
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan_willetts
you can spin the crank slowly to roll the mains in if your having trouble getting them to go in with out spinning the crank....
Ahhh, I get it, good to know for an emergency.

Originally Posted by nathan_willetts
and it sounds like its comming from the top and back of the motor on 3,4 maybe but i realized that u can kinda here it in the exhaust?? could that mean bent exhaust valve??
Maybe the rocker(s) back there are hitting the valve cover or are loose? Make sure the valve cover wasn't cranked down too tight and the valve clearances/tolerances are within spec? .007/.011 or .008/.012 something like that.

I don't have any experience with bent exhaust valves so can't give you any input on that.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
Maybe the rocker(s) back there are hitting the valve cover or are loose? Make sure the valve cover wasn't cranked down too tight and the valve clearances/tolerances are within spec? .007/.011 or .008/.012 something like that.
I'd agree with Grego on that. Could be rocker hitting valve cover if cover is cranked down too tight, also could just be valves need adjusting. Take a video of the noise and post it for us to hear, that may help.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM

already adjusted in spec isnt hitting the cover at all yesterday when we were pulling each plug while running and when i pulled number one nothing changed so theres a problem within its self i found a shop in Charlotte that has 22re long blocks rebuilt with 2 year or 24000 warranty so im thinking of just doing that sounds like less worries and time that way