Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 4rnr no crank or spark after warmup

Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4rnr no crank or spark after warmup

Hi guys,

So I searched a bit, but didn't find anything that looked close to what is happening...just got my 4th Toyota, a 1987 4Runner, 22RE, Auto trans, and in addition to the vacuum leak it seems to have (I currently have gaskets on order when I take the plenum off and troubleshoot the leaks) it has this nasty habit of NOT wanting to crank or even click after the engine is shut off or stalls out (vacuum leak=idle/stall problem). When its cold, it will start right up, but when warm, I'll try to start, and get absolutely NOTHING from the starter. All lights power, buzzer goes off, but no crank or click.

That said, I'll walk away in frustration for 10 or 15 minutes, then she'll start right up again!!

Any ideas would be greatly helpful. This is my first automatic, and am not sure if that's in any way related to this issue...

Thanks!

Gary
Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Start with the simple stuff first, check and clean all of the grounds in the engine area. Also check or replace the cable from the battery to the starter, its common for them to corrode on the inside and cause the no start issues your having.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Will check and advise...thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm, this has happened to me 3 times, ..... every time it's been the starter(they were just getting tired and seizing up...and one time, it was just a POCrap replacement that went out in 2 days, lol).... except for one time, .... it was the Cable to the starter had a bare spot and it arced out and it blew the fusible link..... But then, you wouldn't have gogo juice to everything else if it was that.

When it's doing that, try rapping with a rubber mallet really firmly or brass mallet not so firmly on the solenoid portion of the starter... just to rule out the Solenoid freezing up as a possibility.

When you turn the key, or someone else does, check/have them check to see if you're getting 12V to the starter, ...that would be my first check, no doubt.

Best wishes, man!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Thanks Chef and myyota. I'll see if I can replicate the issue this weekend. I'm hoping the local dealership has my plenum gaskets finally in, so I can tear down the intake and clean, and find my vacuum leaks. The toy idles like total crap, and I have the idle screw cranked out very far, just to make it run *somewhat* OK.

Smoothes out with a shot of starter fluid near the back of the plenum, so will start there after the cleaning session looking for leaks.

Will try to post some shots of the progress, and details on what I find, and what works.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 AM

How about a picture of your 4Runner also, i never get tired of seeing them, i really like the body style. Were in Idaho are you located ?.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 AM

No problem, Fourth..... now KILL IT! lol. ...You know what I mean, hehehe.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Got the gaskets, cleaned the plenum, but somehow managed to lose the "special" bolt that holds the fuel line to the injector. Heard it drop, go tink, tink, then no sound of it hitting the concrete. 2 hours of searching every nook and cranny, and NO BOLT. I'll order another one tomorrow (even checked my bolt bucket, but alas, no).

Plenum was filthy, no EGR gasket, and the plenum/intake gasket situation was marginal at best. New gaskets all around, and now just need the injector bolt.

If you know the one I am talking about, and have a PN, that would be awesome.

Since that was wrapped up, and I couldn't do anything else, I got to work on the tailgate. The PO was evidently the king of lazy, and instead of fixing the passenger side tailgate latch, he just put in some extra weatherstripping tape (Wal-mart special, not just for doors and windows).

Got the latch undone, and found it was the cable, not the latch. I'm soaking the cable in a PB Blaster bath, and have been seeing some results. Maybe I can get away with making this one work...if not better by tomorrow, I'll order another one when I order another one of the wayward mystery injector bolts...

Working on getting pix up...looks like a 48k limit on pix??

PS: located in the Idaho panhandle south of Sandpoint.

Gary
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Great work, Gary....

Now, for pics...

GET A PHOTOBUCKET ACCOUNT! lol

Once you have one, upload your pics to Pbucket and then click 'save and continue to my album'... Once you've done that, you just put your cursor over the picture, where 4 options will pop up in a column.... Click on the furthest one down, the "IMG" link.... it will automatically copy it. When copied, just right click in the text window, here, where I'm typing now, and click "PASTE" .... then post the post and voila, you have a pic up!

Write back if you have a problem, k?

Mark
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Allright...will give that a try
Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM

So easy a child could do it!!

So say goodbye to the busted taillights and rear bumper...heading to the junkyard tomorrow on a parts run...just like going to the candy store!!

Thanks for the pix assistance Mark!

G
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM

No prob, G!

That's one sweet lil bugger! lol. I LOVE the Silver ones. I love em all, really, (the factory colors)... but when these Silver ones are all tricked out? FHEWWWWW! Someone wipe my drool! lol. I also like the Charcoal Gray ones.

Cool, keep us updated, hope you score tomorrow! lol..
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Nice looking 4Runner Im actually thinking of trading my 86 4Runner for a stock 4Runner and some cash if i could find a good deal. Its fully built and ready to roll. I have a bad back and bad knees and can no longer get into it with out standing on a milk crate or something, and even that is very painfull to do.

Here is a picture of my 4Runner.
http://
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM

It's funny you mention it, but my "other" 4runner was a 87 charcoal gray SR5 (with a sunroof) Man I miss that rig, but I don't miss the red interior... I love Toyotas, but that red interior was too much for me. The new one is silver w/gray, and I'll definately take that.

Got a Softopper planned for next Spring. We've got a short summer up here, and I can't justify plopping down $700 for only another month or so of usage this Fall. Plus I've got some "necessary" goodies to get first.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...

G
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Myyota,

Sir that is a fine looking rig! I hope there's a buyer out there that can fully appreciate the time and money you've obviously put into your Toyota.

I am looking forward myself to the build process. Nothing extreme...but we live rural, with some elevation, and a rough road to deal with in the winter. I've been driving Suzuki's for the gas mileage (had 4 of those as well) but want the ground clearance, economy, and reliability that only a Toyota can offer.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 PM

OK...so now the saga continues...

Got the bolt and gaskets from Toyota for the cold start injector. Got her hooked up, but now she doesn't want to start. Cranked for a bit, choke choke, barely run...die.

So I think, what's causing? Little white steam out the tailpipe...maybe some coolant leaking into the plenum/intake? So I remove the coolant line from the plenum on the fitting circled below and plug the line leading to the thermostat housing:

STARTS RIGHT UP!!! Problem is, now I've got white steam coming out of the tailpipe in COPIOUS quantity. Running like a CHAMP, but mucho white steam.

So I let her run for about a minute, thinking it will clear, but no, so I shut down. Now I've got a bit of a bubbling right where the intake meets the head, directly in line with the thermostat housing on the intake. (see blue arrow)

NO PROBLEMS LIKE THIS PREVIOUSLY BEFORE I TOOK OFF THE PLENUM.

So, did I hook something up wrong?

Did I "fix" the vacuum leaks, and now the intake is sucking coolant (however running GREAT!) ?

If there is a leak, could it be a cracked intake, -or worse- HEAD?

I may take Monday and pull off both the plenum (just did that) and intake, and see what I can see on the head. Tomorrow l'll see if I can tighten the intake bolts to the head, and see if that clears up the problem. I think the problem is where the intake meets the head, (the air bubbling) or I hooked up some lines wrong when I put the plenum back on, and somehow got coolant into the plenum (hence the rough starting at first)...but now that it sounds like it is running good, where do I go next???

G
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM

UPDATE!

OK...so the bad daddy circled in blue above was the culprit. P/O had a coolant fitting on there, and when I took everything off (the 1st time) to clean, I must have cleaned out all the junk blocking the inlet, and so when I hooked it back up, it ran coolant into the plenum. Can't believe she ran with all that going on (TOYOTA!).

Got the plenum cleaned (AGAIN) got that port capped, and checked routing on all the other fittings on the intake. Got everything buttoned up, started her right up, and have idle RPM at around 800-900. Took her for a spin tonight (about 60 miles) and the rig performed beautifully. Cleaned and re-secured all leads to the starter, and she starts consistently now. Thanks to all for the advice.

Went to the junkyard the other day after the dealership. The local Toyota shop wanted $40 for the cable that goes inside the tailgate on the 4Runner, and connects to the latch release. I said "NO" and headed for the junkyard. Found a cable off a 2nd gen 4Runner that worked just fine. Also got the little pocket that sits underneath a single-DIN radio (mine is a double-DIN with a cassette player) so when I swap out the one I have that is single-DIN with iPod input, I've got a pocket to fill the space. Also got a replacement lens for the rear taillight.

Total cost for all=$26

Now I've got to tackle the rear window, some bodywork before it gets wet, and get the new stereo installed.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM

suwwwwwwwwweet! lol.

Great news, man! Great finds/buys, too, .....enjoy it!