86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 pickup 22ret 4x4 Terrible Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1986 pickup 22ret 4x4 Terrible Gas mileage

I was hoping to see what gas mileage people are getting. I have an 86 turbo pickup with an automatic transmission and I only get around 4 days of a full tank. I drive around 20~25 miles a day although I do live in LA so they're all city miles. Anyone have any ideas??? My old 85 with a 22r would give me close to 2 weeks driving the same distance.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well what size tank ??

I used to get close to 500 miles on my one truck

Are both vehicles geared the same with the same size tires.

The weights of both vehicles the same??

So many different factors involved real gallons and real miles .

Then constant use of the right pedal can decrease mileage
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Best mileage I ever recorded in my 4Runner was 20 mpg on a road trip of 100% highway. I have 33" mud tires, heavy bumpers, winch, plus mild lift. I believe my tank is about 14 gallons, so generally speaking I can only get in the area of 250 miles per tank before I'm seriously in need of a gas station. Not sure if your turbo has the same size tank or not, but I can't imagine it would be smaller than 14 gallons. Your estimation of 25 miles per day means you are only getting 100 miles per tank, if your tank is 14 gallons, that means 7 miles per gallon. Does it seem to run ok other than the mileage issue? If so, then I'd check for leaks if I were you. If there are no leaks and it runs decent, then double check yourself, how many gallons does it take to fill it up, maybe your gauge is not working, and if you aren't really paying attention to the number of gallons you might not be putting in what you think you are. I don't know much about the 22ret, but 7mpg sounds pretty bad.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Yea my tank is a 14 gallon . And no the gauge works because when it gets towards the bottom I fill it up with $40 which is around 12 gallons . Both vehicles weigh the same . Everything is the same to my knowledge . Only thing that changed between the trucks is the engine and the transmission .
It does have a weird idle , when it's in park it idles around 850~1000 rpm but when put into drive it drops down to around 800 rpm.
I haven't been the owner of this truck for long so I don't know any of the previous history . I never owned a 22ret before but I just know it in my gut that it's not supposed to be this bad. It gets the same mileage as my 91 with a v6
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You could check the cold start injector and see if maybe it's staying on. Bad O2 sensors could be having the ECU run in open loop and running rich. Check timing. Does the AFM cover look tampered with? Do turbos come with a stock O2 wideband gauge or anything?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
LA, lots of stop and go with endless idling. That is going to put you way at the lower end of MPG.

You didn't answer the gearing or tire question that is a big difference.

The knob behind the throttle makes a big difference also.

I get 16-18 with oversized tires, heavy 265/75's.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM

I cleaned out the cold start injector but how would i find out if its staying on? And as for the gearing I have no idea, how could I find that out? Everything is stock . As for the O2 sensor , theres no check engine light on? is it possible for it to be bad without a check engine light? Theres no wideband gauge.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 PM

Now about the timing, I have tried several times to get it in time but when i put it at 5 degrees it idles just way too high, and no matter where the timing is at , the engine kind of shakes when turning it off. Engine mounts? trans mount?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Even with LA traffic I just KNOW that i should be getting better mileage
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 PM

What is the ignition timing currently?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Batres
I cleaned out the cold start injector but how would i find out if its staying on? And as for the gearing I have no idea, how could I find that out? Everything is stock . As for the O2 sensor , theres no check engine light on? is it possible for it to be bad without a check engine light? Theres no wideband gauge.
Check the vin plate on the door jam, then reference here http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html
for reference information. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...downloads.html
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 PM

I currently have it at 0 degrees with the 2 terminals shortened.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
Best mileage I ever recorded in my 4Runner was 20 mpg on a road trip of 100% highway. I have 33" mud tires, heavy bumpers, winch, plus mild lift. I believe my tank is about 14 gallons, so generally speaking I can only get in the area of 250 miles per tank before I'm seriously in need of a gas station. Not sure if your turbo has the same size tank or not, but I can't imagine it would be smaller than 14 gallons. Your estimation of 25 miles per day means you are only getting 100 miles per tank, if your tank is 14 gallons, that means 7 miles per gallon. Does it seem to run ok other than the mileage issue? If so, then I'd check for leaks if I were you. If there are no leaks and it runs decent, then double check yourself, how many gallons does it take to fill it up, maybe your gauge is not working, and if you aren't really paying attention to the number of gallons you might not be putting in what you think you are. I don't know much about the 22ret, but 7mpg sounds pretty bad.
unless you swapped it, your tank is 17 gallons.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by se7enine
You could check the cold start injector and see if maybe it's staying on. Bad O2 sensors could be having the ECU run in open loop and running rich. Check timing. Does the AFM cover look tampered with? Do turbos come with a stock O2 wideband gauge or anything?
i have yet to see any documented instance where the CSI "stayed on".

OP, that's a red herring. your CSI is not causing poor mileage.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 AM

you cannot guess about the mileage; you need to record information to measure it. the best way is long-term average, whereby you record the mileage for each tank, and you fill the tank each time you purchase gas (rather than buying $10 worth, but don't fill the tank). this will help to show abnormalities if something is going wrong.

fwiw, my '87 5-speed 22re 4runner, running either 30s or 31s, has consistently achieved 19-23 mpg over 4 years, and 70K miles. your pickup weighs less, but you have an auto. i'd still believe you can average at least 14 to 16 mpg, even with city driving. but you won't know unless you record the data.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Idle speed and ignition timing

Originally Posted by Brian Batres
I currently have it at 0 degrees with the 2 terminals shortened.
Idle speed and ignition timing are linked, as you've noticed. So..

Set the idle to spec, then the timing. Next readjust the idle and finish by double checking the timing. It is not unheard of to have to readjust multiple times.

Once you have these to spec you will have more available power resulting in using less throttle and thus less fuel.

Fill the tank (pump untill the back pressure switch shuts of the fuel flow), reset your odometer to zero and recalculate your MPG (mileage ÷ gallons) the next time you fill up. (As mentioned you need to calculate this, a few digits here and there make a big difference)

... Tires and gearing ...
You can not assume these are stock after all this time, nor can you really trust the tag (on the firewall, or on the door jam). Also they came with varied sizes and ratios from the factory or dealer. Which all boils down to you saying "they are stock" doesn't tell us anything useful.

To get axel ratios you need to mark the tire and drive shaft Jack it up and rotate the tire while counting shaft rotation.

Tire size is easy enough, it is on the sidewall. Tell us the size, brand and style as well which rims you have they are likely stock sr5 (aluminum) or steel.
The following users liked this post:
TheBoiKing (02-23-2021)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I might have missed it but I wonder could we have some transmission slippage ??

Since I have never learned to drive an Automatic I seldom think of it .

Hubs locked in ??

Hubs look to be unlocked but due to internal failure still locked

The right pedal use is directly related to fuel use.

Having the Turbo is liking having burners once in a while you need to dump them
Old 12-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Alright here the tires the truck came with when I got it. And I looked up the gearing. It's a G292 so that means it's a 8.0" gear 4.100 ratio and and open diff right ? ASSUMING nothing has been changed. I also had the exact idea to start logging my mileage. So I will start carrying a log book and I will drive it till it starts getting empty and I will refill it till it gets full. But first I will set the correct timing even if it idles a bit high
Old 12-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Old 12-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Selectable hub isn't fully in the free position in that image. This means extra drag/load.

Tires are over sized.

Set the timing then adjust the idle. Like I explained.

Might be worth your time to learn to remove clean and reassemble those hubs.