Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 4runner 22re no power after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4runner 22re no power after rebuild

I just recently got the truck, it ran fine, but it spewed oil from the front of the head gasket where it mates to the timing cover.. after the tear down i decided that the lower end was fine, it had plenty of power before i took it apart, and the cylinders looked good. So with a new timing chain set, new timing cover piece, and of course all new seals, gaskets, and a clutch kit while i was there, its all put back together, and running. However, it idles really low if you dont give it any gas, and has a hard time "catching" unless you give it gas upon start up. new fuel filter, plenty of fuel pressure, and it has all new ngk or oem cap/rotor plugs/wires and is getting good spark. the timing is spot on 5* btdc and "sometimes" gains power as your driving it down the road intermittently. im thinking the TPS went out somehow magically in the time it was just sitting there during the rebuild.. but i dont know for sure and havent messed with it yet. but im wondering what else you guys think it could be. here is a video of it running and of the weirdly low idle until you give it gas.

i deleted the egr, and the vacuum hardline tree. the only things i have on vacuum is
-brake booster
-fuel regulator (makes no difference with my current problem whether i have it directly connected to vacuum or through the VSV switch)
-and power steering (although it was in my way at the time of video so you will see that it was temporarily disconnected.
-oh and the charcoal canister.. which i may or may not keep on.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I also wonder why there is a bunch of oil buildup in the throttle body/intake. i think its probably time for a PCV valve but i know that it will just give me the same issue if i get the wrong one. Which one have you guys had good luck with? ive never had a car (including many'a'toyota) that has so much oil in the intake. it drips out when i take the fresh air hose off of the front of it.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Time for a compression test!!

Cam timing off ??

Since the EGR is now gone nothing is pulled out of the top of the engine .

Maybe you now want to install a oil catch can

Then perhaps the things you did have a Adverse effect no way to know without being up close and personal.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
There is an audible "hissing" indicating a vacuum leak.

The tps is possibly binding up. Did you clean the throttle body, and did you remove the tps when you did if not you likely relocated some gunk into it. You need to check its signals are in spec and it returns fully to idle.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM

I never took the throttle body apart, i figured i would do that later, i was in a hurry to do the rebuild and get it back together with no huge oil leak. The TPS is untouched, like i said. I will be doing a compression check, however it "sometimes" has a moment of good power if i rev slowly going down the road, and dont just "punch it". most of the time is still bogs though. Im thinking it probably is a vac leak, as i hear that hissing as well. But i have looked and looked and cant find any open vacuum ports. i have even sprayed brake cleaner around the engine (all i had at the time for this test) to see if there is a change in idle, and there was not.

wyoming9 im not sure what you mean by "Since the EGR is now gone nothing is pulled out of the top of the engine ." i removed the egr and all related components since the engine was out of the truck.

Its definitely timed properly. even being one tooth off would make it run a LOT worse than this. at least in my previous toyota experience..

What is the procedure to test the signal on the TPS. i have done that to my subarus before but its been awhile. thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM

ok thanks, i will let you know what the outcome yields..
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
First, the engine is SUPPOSED to die when you disconnect the VAF (you don't have a MAF; different technology). It shuts off the fuel pump.

Look closely at the throttle when you "blip" it. Does it come back to the same place? It sounds like you have a slightly mis-adjusted idle, but once the engine is running the idle doesn't fall all the way back.