Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 22RE Turbo No Power when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:40 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 22RE Turbo No Power when in gear

Hello

Just did timing chain the the engine.. All went well, 100% sure the timing is right, engine sounds excellent will rev and come on boost when in park..

Problem occurs when you put it in gear (AT) the idle drops significantly but that is not the worst part. The truck has NO POWER until it comes on boost.. And I mean NO POWER! It is like it is stuck in 5th gear..

So, the truck was a tad lagging before the timing chain replacement but nothing like this.. this truck is undriveable now.

All EGR stuff was removed before and the truck ran fine.. Both cannisters are still installed with vacuum lines attached

The engine bay and tranny area was power Washed AFTER the radiator was removed for the timing chain replacement.. Other than removing the A/C components, all should be the same. The truck has no muffler or CAT. Like I said, the engine sounds excellent just no power..

We checked the AFM via pulling the cover off and watching it move... seems OK.. Disconnected the TPS, no change anywhere. Check the electrical connections.. all seem good.. There are No engine codes being thrown either.

We can hear no vacuum leaks. Is there some special vacuum line that feeds the tranny that may have gotten power washed off?

It is almost like once in gear the ECM will not allow for any fuel to be added?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by JKM; 08-11-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same set up.. 87 RTE 4 runner with auto trans, and I just built the motor(now with 800 miles on it).
I had the exact same problems as you are having until I set the TPS.
It had no power at all, like you are describing and I couldn't get it timed correctly. The exhaust stunk like it was way to rich and I think top speed was about 50mph.
Once the TPS was adjusted properly, I was able to time the engine per the manual at 5*BTDC.
I couldn't believe the difference it made!
You'll eventually want to put a muffler on it though, the motor needs back pressure to run correctly (all motors I think). I'm running 2.5" from the turbo back to a magna flow muffler and no cat.
But before you go banging the rev limiter, Check for correct TDC and pull the distributor to make sure it is set correctly. The best I could get before the TPS was about 12* btdc.
Like I said, it was 100% the TPS with my truck.
If you unplugged your TPS like you said, and it made no difference in how it ran, then you definitely need to adjust it's timing.