Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

190 hp 3.0 V-6 from CHS Machine 210 Torq

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RBX- thanks for the reply. I was pointing out that my issue was caused by their workmanship/machining/torquing (I didn't overheat, etc...)---but they still- had no answer, and seemed like it was routine for them...
Clok--- at 10k miles, sounds like you are out of the woods for a lot of issues. Hopefully all runs well from here on out. From your previous posts- sounds like you are happy with the motor, glad you are and getting good results.

--- I also think they are "hit and miss". After properly researching them(definitely my bad on that one)- I found good reports--- a lot of bad reports. That's why I'm posting here and other places to help people learn more about them from my mistakes. I mistakenly trusted their Ebay reviews- then learned about the 60 day time limit, etc... Shipping times are normally good for those guys- I bet there are a lot of "buyer's remorse", but unable to put in a Ebay review when they finally have a problem... Especially with ordering time/shipping time/installation time/motor break-in time eating into that time limit. So, nobody can learn about their actual customer service(whether good OR bad...). I was hoping to have a solid motor that didn't fail- and not have to find out about their crappy customer service...

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY- My Good News:
-As previously mentioned. They sent newly rebuilt heads finally- I had them checked out by a local machine shop. They are flat, pressure tested fine. I could see some purple dye around the valve seats- It looked like CHS did inspect them before they shipped them to me.
-I pulled the pan- retorqued all bearings. All were torqued at least to spec.
-Waiting on Toyota to get head gaskets in (will have them in a couple days)- I'm thinking CHS used cheap gaskets- hopefully Toyota gaskets will give me some "insurance" if anything else is "off".
-when I was waiting- I bought a bunch of upgrades for this truck (headers,flamethrower injectors, martin crawler clutch). Might also look into the oversized VAFM mod. If the motor holds together, there might come a time where I don't understand what 3.slow actually means!

thanks,

Jimmy
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a thought, see if there are ARP stud kits for this engine. They do hold better and may eliminate a recurrence.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Skypilot- thanks, I'll look into that. I'm definitely tired of installing/yanking motors on this truck- don't want repeat the process anytime soon...
Old 02-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out my old build. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...le-aav-226237/

I had a very modified 3.0... more so than what CHS is doing. I was turned off by these guys. They were rude, and didn't really want my business... even though I was willing to drop some serious money to get something that had never been done before. I know a few people that had a bunch of issues with them as well.

Here is my advice....

ARP head studs - This is a no brainer. This will pretty much insure that you won't have the issue again.

MLS Head Gaskets - This is the head gasket that I had my builder try out. Since then, this has become used by multiple 3vze builders.

With those 2 combined, you will not have another head gasket go bad.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM

look like CHS has good reviews on e bay well what the new .. I look at Oregon Engine Re builders also but he said he reuses the head bolts never thought about that there cheep to buy ??
Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Any updates on this motor? Anyone else take the plunge??
Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewrunner
Any updates on this motor? Anyone else take the plunge??
I'm going on like 12k miles on mine without and issues oh yeah I had a leaking cam cover plate but other then that she revs and pulls nice 12 miles to the gallon I got a heavy foot , I had the heads ported for an extra $200 and provided my own hi-rev valve springs and I replaced every part that basically connects to the long block lots of cash involved but I wanted a super reliable motor and that's the way she is behaving , the owner at raptor engines is Greg I told him when I ordered my motor I didn't want any funny business and wanted a proper motor from the beginning and that's what I got so far !
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad it is working out.