Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

16.5" fender to rim torsion measurement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16.5" fender to rim torsion measurement?

Hi all, looking for clarification and a little help with a torsion bar question.

so i've read through these two, and a few other stickies here

http://toyota.off-road.com/trucks-4x...ent-19258.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/torsion_bars/

Question: a consensus from what I've read is that when using a 15" rim, that the measurement between rim and fender can be about 15" without too badly compromising ride quality.
I have 1.5 ball joint spacers, does this mean I'm in the same level of ride quality at 16.5" from rim to fender? (15+1.5?)

I just replaced inner/outer tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, and put on some 5100 bilsteins. It's so much stiffer and tighter than it was, I'm worried I over cranked the bars. But it could just be new shocks and all the other goodies. Want to get this clarified before getting an alignment, rather not pay twice.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by captainslow
Question: a consensus from what I've read is that when using a 15" rim, that the measurement between rim and fender can be about 15" without too badly compromising ride quality.
I have 1.5 ball joint spacers, does this mean I'm in the same level of ride quality at 16.5" from rim to fender? (15+1.5?)
I had to look all the stuff up again - its been a while

As I understand it - the spacer move the spindle "down" while keeping the equivalent torsion bar tension.
I think of it as a suspension drop bracket.
(yeah - it changes the camber geometry - but that's what an alignment is for - to "fix" that - at least at static ride height)

So, yeah - in general - your "adding the spacer height to the fender height" method makes sense to me as being correct
Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ewong

So, yeah - in general - your "adding the spacer height to the fender height" method makes sense to me as being correct
that what I'm hoping. After replacing so much the car feels totally different. Not sure what to expect, no more body roll at all and it got rid of nose dive when braking hard.

Also found the FSM for tightening up the steering free wheel play.. holy smokes! If you haven't done that in a while it makes a world of difference too.