Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

120amp Jaguar Alternator Upgrade **HOW TOO**

Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
120amp Jaguar Alternator Upgrade **HOW TO**

For the last few weeks I’ve been looking at doing the Big 3 upgrade and getting a better alternator. I already purchased the 0/1 and #2 wire and ends for the Big 3 upgrade but the jury was still out on what I was going to do about the alternator.

Well yesterday I found on this site that a Jaguar Alternator off a a 1993-97 XJ6 will plug right up to our stock harness and bolt right up to the stock mount by just slightly bending it. Also you have to swap over your v-belt pulley.

This intrigued me so I thought I would swing by the parts store and pick one up and give it a try. That proved to be slightly harder than I thought. Out of three parts companies (with multiple stores) only one had one (autozone) and it was at their warehouse on the other side of town. So I got the alternator for $142.99 + $90 core with lifetime warranty. I asked the manager about the core since the alternator I would have to bring back would not be the same, His reply was, “Just make sure there is an alternator in there and I’m happy”.

So, I get home and get to work taking the pulley off of each and moving the v-belt pulley over to the new Jag Alt. The Toyota pulley really is easy to get off with basic tools. All you need is a 10mm socket on a 3/8 breaker bar or wratchet and a 22mm wrench. As seen below I just slipped the wrench over the nut and rested it on the workbench and then just bounced full upper body weight on the breaker bar and…… Presto the nut comes loose and you just take it right off.

Now taking the pulley off of the new Jag Alt is easy if you have the right tools, otherwise I don’t know how I could have got it to break loose. I tried to do the same as above with the Toyota Alt but the nut is to far recessed to get a good bite on it with a wrench. So I figured that since im not going to be using this stock Jag Pulley I can just grab it with large pliers and the hit the nut with an impact. Bam right off she came… easy a pie.

Now time to put the toyota pulley on the Jag Alt.

***NOTE*** The first alternator that i got would not allow the pulley to fully center itself on the taper of the shaft. I returned the Alt and got a new one. The new one worked just fine ****

All you have to do here is place the toyota pulley on the Alt shaft with the shaft facing up and slowly hand tighten the nut so the pulley can center itself on the taper. Now since it is damn near impossible to get enough torque with two wrenches to get the nut tightened on the shaft well enough i decided to do the following

i wrapped the pulley with a towel and grab it gently with the pliers and then hit it with the impact with two quick bursts. The impact hits the nut so fast that you barely have to hold the pliers so you arent going to hurt or scar the pulley at all.

Here is the final product

*** NOTE *** after i got the pulley tightened onto the shaft i attached a socket onto my drill and put the drill on high and ran the Alt to make sure the pulley wasn't off center and didn vibrate. Everything was fine.

Now I would show you how it all bolts back to the truck but my motor is currently out and being rebuilt by 22RE Performance. I will continue this write up when i get the motor back but it is supposed to just bolt right up like stock after slightly bending the upper arm of the mount.

I hope this might help someone. I know there are other options for a hight output Alt but with this route you don't have to buy any brackets and you have a hight output Alt with a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if you have any questions

-Chris-

Last edited by chris514scott; 05-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM

Very cool indeed, do you think that you could grind a little material off the ear as it looks thicker instead of bending the bracket? Otherwise pretty cool almost plug and play
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM

Dude nice write up! I remember reading about this from some other thread but the guy had no detailed write up. Can't wait to see how it works.

Duralast huh? I bought a stock 22r alt. back in 2006 from them and it turned out to be a rebuilt oem denso unit. Took it in to get tested about a month ago, not because it was bad but because I was doing some work to the engine and it was already out. Long story short, it failed the test so they gave me a new unit free of charge! I love the lifetime warranty deal they got going on; you basically buy the part ONCE and never have to spend money on it again!

Last edited by streetlancer; 05-16-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well done!!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guess this is only for a 22re? do you have any installed pix or does it just swap right in?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
guess this is only for a 22re? do you have any installed pix or does it just swap right in?
My thoughts exactly ... wonder if it'll work on a 3.0?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM

Normally I'd advise against British electronics

But since it's a duralast it's probably fine
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobbybouche
Very cool indeed, do you think that you could grind a little material off the ear as it looks thicker instead of bending the bracket? Otherwise pretty cool almost plug and play
I dont know. I saw that too. I will play with that once i get my motor back. I would much rather do that then bend brackets.

Originally Posted by streetlancer
Dude nice write up! I remember reading about this from some other thread but the guy had no detailed write up. Can't wait to see how it works.

Duralast huh? I bought a stock 22r alt. back in 2006 from them and it turned out to be a rebuilt oem denso unit. Took it in to get tested about a month ago, not because it was bad but because I was doing some work to the engine and it was already out. Long story short, it failed the test so they gave me a new unit free of charge! I love the lifetime warranty deal they got going on; you basically buy the part ONCE and never have to spend money on it again!
Thanks! Yeah I wasnt too keen on getting a reman but then I thought, well its half the price and has a lifetime warranty so who cares. $142 and I have an Alt for life

This I do not know. Im new to the Toyota world and have no idea what all is interchangable. Hopefully someone can jump in that knows the answer. I dont have any installed pics yet because I dont have a motor. My motor is being rebuilt right now.

Last edited by chris514scott; 05-17-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Perfect timing thanks for posting!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM

What engine do u have this in?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Figured I might ask in this thread, ok so this all looks cool but when do you need it?? I have 2 piaa 6 inchers and an amp and a sub and it seems to be ok. I mean is this more for onboard compressors, winches, lots of lights etc?? Or just to optimize charging so you never have to worry?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Figured I might ask in this thread, ok so this all looks cool but when do you need it?? I have 2 piaa 6 inchers and an amp and a sub and it seems to be ok. I mean is this more for onboard compressors, winches, lots of lights etc?? Or just to optimize charging so you never have to worry?
If hes upgrading to a winch or even OBA then yes.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM

What engine do u have this in?

22RE from his first post.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a winch, offroad lights and an onboard air compressor. This is a must-do for me.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by islanderoffroad
Normally I'd advise against British electronics

But since it's a duralast it's probably fine
But is it really british since it has the same plugs and looks almost identical to a nippon-denso oem japanese alt? Maybe jaguar contracted all they're alts for those years through nippon-denso. My jeep cherokee has the same automatic transmission out of toyota pickups/4runners.

Last edited by Turd Furgeson; 05-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM

this is crazy cool! So stupid question...I assume the 3-prong plug in the back of the jag alt is the same as the toyota plug? If so, it must be as Turd stated...that'd be too crazy of a similarity to not be the case!

However in that same respect, if they're pretty much the SAME size / style of alternator, how does the Jag unit pack so much more of a wallop than the factory Toy unit? How do / did they get so much more juice out of it, or is it all just LIES?!? LIIIIES I SAY!!!

Just kidding of course. pretty sweet find.

Last edited by dixiemuddtoy; 05-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dixiemuddtoy
this is crazy cool! So stupid question...I assume the 3-prong plug in the back of the jag alt is the same as the toyota plug? If so, it must be as Turd stated...that'd be too crazy of a similarity to not be the case!

However in that same respect, if they're pretty much the SAME size / style of alternator, how does the Jag unit pack so much more of a wallop than the factory Toy unit? How do / did they get so much more juice out of it, or is it all just LIES?!? LIIIIES I SAY!!!

Just kidding of course. pretty sweet find.
No such thing as a stupid question... Yes the plug matches. That was one of the main reasons I went this route, that way i didn't have to mess with my harness or fab up a new plug.

This Alts are NOT the same size. The Jag is significantly bigger and heavier but the mounts are the same. This alt will barley clear the radiator hose because of its larger size, but it will clear.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dangit, ....another bookmark/scribed thread! hahaha... Nice work, man!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Very nice!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I just want to try an contribute as much as I take from this site.

Today's project is putting 2000 celica bucket seats in the truck. Got a really nice pair for $100. Thinking of doing a write up but don't know ow interested everyone would be since is specific to a certain kind of seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 120amp Jaguar Alternator Upgrade **HOW TOO**