86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1,2,3,5 good but 4th is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1,2,3,5 good but 4th is slipping

Ok, so a couple weeks back, I got to get in my runner one morning, push in the clutch pedal and nothign there. Well barely anything. The fluid level in the MC resevoir looked fine. I pump the pedal for a while and I get clutch back, but upon further inspection there is now no fluid in the resevoir. I replace the master and slave cylinders, ensuring to bench bleed the MC. I used a vacuum bleeder to completely flush the system. From the looks of the color of the fluid, it had never been changed. All is good for a couple weeks.

I'm getting on the highway in fourth and the engine rpms fly up. I thinking the clutch just totally went even though it's never slipped or shown any sign of wear since it only has 86K on it. The next day more of the same, but this time I try to put it into fifth. There's no slip, just bogged out engine. After a few days of slipping in fourth it stopps. The weekend came around and I had some time to look into it further. Looking in the resevoir, the new fluid is compeltely black again. I bleeed the system at the slave some, but no air comes out. Take it for a test drive, slipping in fourth and fifth. I pump the pedal a few times and both gears are back. Bleed it some more and we are good. Next day no fourth but fifth is good.

I don't understand why fluid is back feeding into the MC. And it makes no sense to me why only 4th is slipping. If fourth is slipping so should 5th at that point. My next step is to pull the MC, drain it and bench bleed it again. Disconnect the line at the slave cylinder, hook up an air hose at the MC opening of the line and try to blow out anything that might be causing a clog in the line. Completely, reset the system.

Any other thoughts on what could be the cause of this? Incorrect bleeding? Faulty part?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Bleeding has nothing to do with the clutch slipping. It's time to get in there & see if you have broken clutch springs or there's some other physical malfunction of the clutch.

Does the clutch fork appear to be functioning ok?

Last edited by TNRabbit; 10-08-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree with above. Clutch time.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Bleeding has nothing to do with the clutch slipping. It's time to get in there & see if you have broken clutch springs or there's some other physical malfunction of the clutch.

I hadn't thought it was bleeding the system either. But like is said in the original post, it had stopped slipping. I bled the system, and after doing that it was slipping again until i pumped the clutch pedal a couple times.

Unless I'm misunderstanding...if the clutch springs are broken or something like that, wouldn't it happen all the time in all gears? It wouldn't be an intermittent issue?

The fork should be fine, and the throwout bearing isn't making any noise, so i'm thinking that should be fine.

thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit

x2. The only way the hydraulic side of the system would be causing slippage is if it were sticking. since you replaced everything, theoretically, it shouldn't be happening. I'd pull the boot around the fork and try to use a flashlight and maybe a mirror and try to see if there are any broken springs, or a large build up of clutch material...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 250000_yota
x2. The only way the hydraulic side of the system would be causing slippage is if it were sticking. since you replaced everything, theoretically, it shouldn't be happening. I'd pull the boot around the fork and try to use a flashlight and maybe a mirror and try to see if there are any broken springs, or a large build up of clutch material...
All,

Thank you. I'll get in there.

Appreciate your time.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Time for a new clutch. Mine did the exact same thing when my clutch went. 4th gear was my culprit as well. All the gears were good but 4th. Then finally 6k miles later 3rd was slipping as well. Had the clutch done at a local shop and the guy said he was surprised i was still driving the truck around.
Get everything replaced that has to do with the clutch. Also go with oem.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Get the HD clutch from MarlinCrawler; I've been VERY happy with mine.