84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

next project...rear output seal, rear main seal, clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
next project...rear output seal, rear main seal, clutch

Ok... I've been slowly fixin my truck and getting it ready for winter. Here is the next big thing that needs taken care of.

Vehicle: 1984 4runner

So far I have done this:

weber 32/36 conversion (tuned and working great so far)
new exhaust (2.25 with pro flow muffler, all built myself, besides the muffler.)
All emissions have been removed from the vehicle including the cat
Fixed some oil leaks on the engine

There are a lot of other small functional things that've been done also.

I've got to do the rear main seal b/c i strongly believe I've leaking oil from there. There is always oil on the bottom of the pan and same with under the front of the tranny housing. I'm running out of places this thing can leak at. So the rear main seal should be replaced and will be.

Next: I get a sweet vibration in the truck at certain speeds. I do not believe its unbalanced tires b/c when i put the clutch in it stops (hence the drive shaft does too). I went and check it at the transfer case. There is some slop/play there. There is none at the other end that goes to the rear dif. I've heard there is a bearing in there that can cause this or the nut that needs to be tightened too. I think replacing the bearing (if someone know more info it would help) and torquing the nut down and staking it will fix that problem.

I'm also slinging oil from this same spot onto the undercarriage of my truck. This leaves me to believe it is the rear output shaft seal. That will be replaced.

Do you all think I should put a clutch in while i've got it torn apart? The truck has 270k on it. If so is there a specific one someone could recommend. It's a daily driver and will see a little off road and fun. We get a lot of snow around here during the winter sometimes.

Also, besides the clutch, what else would anyone recommend doing while I've got the tranny dropped? Gaskets, parts to replace etc....

I've got the funds and about a week to get this going. I've got a camera and will take pics along the way for all who want to reference it. This'll be my first time dropping a tranny, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

List:

Rear output seal
bearing? (more info needed)
rear main seal
clutch?
possible other seals or gaskets?

Thanks for any help and I'm looking to get rolling on this asap

Last edited by live4soccer7; 09-15-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front seal n the transmission
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM

yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Is that pretty easy to replace once the tranny is out? I would think it'd be a matter just taking the old one out and placing the new one or does the tranny have to be taken apart once removed?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by live4soccer7
Next: I get a sweet vibration in the truck at certain speeds. I do not believe its unbalanced tires b/c when i put the clutch in it stops (hence the drive shaft does too).
the drive shaft spins no matter what as long as the truck is in motion, clutch in or out its still spinning.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM

yeah, I actually thought about that after the fact and that was a retarded statement that I made. Thanks for pointing that out. The vibration is there whether the clutch is in or not, so I'm still thinking that is the problem. I'm hoping it's just that the nut is loose.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a u-joint. Pretty easy to replace.