84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Hi Steer / Hi pinion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Steer / Hi pinion Questions

Real quick, I dont want to be "another one of those guys" with all the stupid noob questions. BUT - if one of you experts would not mind taking a few minutes to PM with me and answer a few questions on Hi steer, suspension, ect... I would appreciate it. I know about the search function but I did not find all my answers, plus I think a few minutes of time on your end would save me hours of sorting. Of course I am asking for someone to waste thier time on my account so I understand if there is no interest and can continue my search.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just post your questions. If we can post a link or help, we will. If you're retarded, we will inform you of that also.

Whatcha got?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. - I just didnt want to plug up space with questions that probably been hashed out over and over. But here are a couple.
Truck is 85 pickup. Goal is good driver- but off road worthy, some what of a overland vehicle like my rover- but much more reliable and trail fixable.We do a lot of out back camping. My history - many jeep builds, current Land rover build done with many regrets and wasted money. Own a machine shop with full machining,welding,and a water jet . Live in the Rocky mountains (Colorado) so plenty of places to O-R.
My plan is enough lift for 33-10:50's . Thinking Trail gear but hate to buy the "kit" when much of the stuff I could fabricate. 1) Not sure if going to a 3" direct fit spring swap is smart ? 2) run detroits in many vehicles but thinking of going with ARBs with 5:29s- I know its tall but I live at 7000' and travel up hill when I wheel-tall gears on a 22R wont kill me, but not sure about ARB's a bit more cash- is it worth it ? And if I do one in front- for sure I am doing one in back- I see many people do a Detroit in back and ARB front ? 3) high pinions on that small of lift ? good bad ? hits and miss's ? 4) cross over steer for sure- exactly what box, pump, and brackets work ? Junk yard scavange or other ? Links or feed back appreciated.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DBMorris
O.K. - I just didnt want to plug up space with questions that probably been hashed out over and over. But here are a couple.
Truck is 85 pickup. Goal is good driver- but off road worthy, some what of a overland vehicle like my rover- but much more reliable and trail fixable.We do a lot of out back camping. My history - many jeep builds, current Land rover build done with many regrets and wasted money. Own a machine shop with full machining,welding,and a water jet . Live in the Rocky mountains (Colorado) so plenty of places to O-R.
My plan is enough lift for 33-10:50's . Thinking Trail gear but hate to buy the "kit" when much of the stuff I could fabricate. 1) Not sure if going to a 3" direct fit spring swap is smart ? 2) run detroits in many vehicles but thinking of going with ARBs with 5:29s- I know its tall but I live at 7000' and travel up hill when I wheel-tall gears on a 22R wont kill me, but not sure about ARB's a bit more cash- is it worth it ? And if I do one in front- for sure I am doing one in back- I see many people do a Detroit in back and ARB front ? 3) high pinions on that small of lift ? good bad ? hits and miss's ? 4) cross over steer for sure- exactly what box, pump, and brackets work ? Junk yard scavange or other ? Links or feed back appreciated.
Congrats on your getaway from Heeps. I do like Rovers though.
You could get just springs from Alcan, spendy but nice, and they're a Colorado company. Then fab your own shackles if you keep stock leaf mounts. You would prob only need 2" springs and 5.5" eye-to-eye shackles, which would get about 3" of lift if that's all you're wanting.

ARBs are a nice selectable locker, and TJM Prolocker is sometimes a few bucks less. If you're going 33s maximum, 4.88s put you back to stock gearing, 5.29s are for 35s and a stock feel. Your choice though.

Don't necessarily need a high pinion front diff, but it wouldn't hurt if you had one lying around.

I have the Trail Gear Hy-steer kit but I got 6-shooter knuckles, I had regular Hy-steer before and I love it. One of the best mods to be done. Brake upgrade was awesome too. Search that upgrade. (V6 IFS calipers, FJ60 rotors, 1" bore master, and dual diaghram booster). And any 86-95 IFS 4x4 steering box is what you need. TG has kit for mounting box, but you could prob fab it.

Last edited by rokblok; 09-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.