YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Double Cardan U-Joint Size (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/double-cardan-u-joint-size-230481/)

acicomp 02-26-2011 12:24 PM

Double Cardan U-Joint Size

So I was going to replace the u-joints on the front driveshaft Double Cardan joint today. Apparently, the original u-joints are slightly (20 thousandths give or take) smaller than the replacement u-joints. Does anyone have a workaround or the correct part numbers for replacement u-joints made specifically for the double cardan on an 84/85 front driveshaft?

Thanks...

waskillywabbit 02-26-2011 12:38 PM

Did you get local auto parts or OEM at the dealer?

:wabbit2:

acicomp 02-26-2011 02:57 PM

Local Parts Store... I actually went to 4 different stores today and measured them with a mic and none would fit. I measured 8 different ones. The guy at O'Reilly let me go back and try and match them up. Still no luck after breaking open the boxes on 40 plus u-joints.

The front joint works fine, while the two in the cardan are the issue. The actual holes in the yoke for the cardan are smaller than the holes in the yoke for the front joint.

Two dealers (parts counter) told me a few weeks ago that the part was not serviceable and I would have to buy a whole driveshaft. The tech at one of the the dealers told me that they were all the same size and what I would get at the local stores would work... Hmmmmmm... Someone missed the mark somewhere. I saw where several others have run into the same issue with the joints on the cardan and some have chosen to grind down the cups to fit the yoke holes or drill out the yokes so the new joints will fit. The dealer told them the same thing about the cardan joints being unserviceable.

I was just curious if anyone else had a more solid solution here. I may take mine over to a friend and have him drill the yokes to accommodate the new u-joints. This way, if the joints ever failed again, all I would have to do is go out and grab one that should pop right in.

The fun part of all this was watching the guy at the local parts store try to explain how to make this joint fit. "If you just keep pounding it with a hammer..." He just couldn't figure out why in the world I would insist on getting my money back for u-joints that were "pretty close" to the original size..."

Thanks

slacker 02-26-2011 03:26 PM

Precision ujoints are the only company that make replacements ..

#513 for the ujoints
and #613 for the ball kit

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...eddrvshaft.jpg

acicomp 02-26-2011 03:41 PM

Thanks Slacker. The guy at oreilly is checking to see if he can order them since they carry Precision.

acicomp 02-26-2011 04:00 PM

Thr managet at Auto Zone just called me and told me he had ordered two in that were specifically for the center and rear joint which should be the double cardan. Part number was 1-5800DL. I'll let you know by tomorrow afternoon if it fits.

acicomp 02-28-2011 02:30 PM

Well, I am back up and running after the crazy u-joint issues. Thankfully, the ball and needle bearings were in excellent condition, so the u-joints were all replaced and the vibration that started all this has now disappeared. Here is some info for those needing to know that may be searching this same topic later.

The part number for the u-joints in the double cardan are:
(Same part, just cross referenced the part numbers.)
Precision #513
Neapco #1-5800
Auto Zone #1-5800DL
Rockford #407-10
Spicer #5-2532X

The Ball Repair Kit (.470 ball) is:
(Same part, just cross referenced the part numbers.)
Precision #613
Spicer #211407X
Rockford #407-0

The standard u-joint for the front joint (Differential end of the u-joint) is pretty common and stocked at most parts stores. You may have to order the two needed for the double-cardan (CV Style), but they are available. The dealer will tell you that you have to buy a complete shaft, but you don't. The repair parts are readily available, just not from the dealer as OEM parts.

If you're ball is in good shape and the rubber seals are good and you only need to replace the u-joints, be real careful when you pull the assembly apart so you don't lose any of the needle bearings out of the center ball. If they fall out, make sure you put them back in. We used a little grease with a wire nut inserted to hold them in place while we were moving the shaft around to keep the bearings in place.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

dropzone 02-28-2011 03:20 PM

adding this to the Mini FAQ info in the 1st Gen Truck section:D

slacker 02-28-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by acicomp (Post 51669108)
Thanks Slacker. The guy at oreilly is checking to see if he can order them since they carry Precision.

your welcome :)

glad it worked out for you

windedwalrus 03-02-2011 03:14 PM

but doesn't that joint limit drive shaft angle? a friend of mine has those on bolth drive shafts and they bind up at an earlier angle that my stock shafts.

acicomp 03-02-2011 04:23 PM

Not sure on that one. I was thinking that the joint was there to help with the angle, but can't say for sure. I know it is stock on the front shaft like that. The 84/85 shafts are also called high flex shafts. I'm sure someone with more knowledge might chime in with more on this.

acicomp 03-02-2011 04:31 PM

After searching on the wen real quick, I found a good writeup on the shafts and CV (Double Cardan) It does limit the angle, however, reduces vibration.

Here is the article on driveline basics from 4x4wire.com

Hope this helps some.

slacker 03-02-2011 04:35 PM

it's a stock drive shaft repair .. thats all !

windedwalrus 03-02-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by slacker (Post 51672318)
it's a stock drive shaft repair .. thats all !

your right my bad! some one upgraded my friends shafts with bigger joints befor he got it that's why he has less movment than mine.

bobber_dog 02-17-2012 07:48 AM

Opening up an old thread(sorry). My 81 calls for Precision #513s and they're maybie a thousandth off. Any opinions on honing out the yoke a little to accomodate the joints? This sucks.

slacker 02-17-2012 04:38 PM

rust ? this is common , and yes .. emery cloth should clean it up

bobber_dog 02-18-2012 07:31 AM

It's clean as a whistle. 5,000lbs of pressure wouldn't put em in. It was built in July 1980 if that makes a difference.

slacker 02-18-2012 08:35 AM

never heard of them not fitting ? your not tryin' to press it into the front , front are you ? cuz 513 is for the cardan only

bobber_dog 02-18-2012 08:40 AM

No, the 387 fit perfectly in the front. The 613 ball fit too. Just can't get the back two to fit. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to order a shaft.

slacker 02-18-2012 08:48 AM

geezz , I have no idea why they wouldnt fit , unless they were possably packaged wrong ? I have done quite a few of these shafts over the years and never run into that

http://rockforddriveline.com/ has new cages if ya cant find a good used one #486