84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Cash bounty paid to whoever correctly diagnoses my no spark issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash bounty paid to whoever correctly diagnoses my no spark issue.

I'm in a desperate way here friends! I'll PayPal $25 to whomever correctly diagnoses my 22r no spark issue.

I have an 84 extra cab that's not getting spark. It's been my dd for a lot of years, and I've always kept her going, but this issue has me stumped.

so here's the backstory...

- driving to work and she starts sputtering intermittently at 65mph/3000ish rpm, uphill, under load. I think the usual and give her a tune up. Issue remains. For various reasons I suspect the ignition system, specifically the igniter/coil.

- do the gm swap.

- drives ok for a bit then conks out, I reinstall the og ignition and limp home.

- park it and start to suspect some faulty wires. Everything traces ok, I go to start it and now no spark.

- so, I've got a few extra igniters of dubious condition, start swapping things in and out....no dice. I get battery voltage at b-r / b connector to igniter. My signal generator ohms out ok. My air gap is ok. I read something about a bad condenser/radio noise eliminator being an issue so I disconnected that.

- bought a crane ignition (I know, I know)and once wired I get red led, but no blinking led (signal present).

So so here I am, stuck...no signal from the dizzy. I'll do all the work as requested and post all results. I've read probably every thread about this and found no solution...I'll start over on any process I've already completed. I have the fsm and I'm mechanical inclined. I rebuilt the engine over 10k miles ago.
help me out and I'll buy you a case of beer...

Last edited by StumpyJohnson; 08-10-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-11-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well; Did you change the fuel filter? are you getting fuel to the carb? When you pull the plugs are they wet with gas?

Did you do the distributor signal check, if this fails get a rich-porter distributor and no other, they are the only one that actually checks the internal coils.

How many miles? is it possible for a chain jump? have you performed a compression check? Is it even possible for you to have a broken timing chain and hence the distributor is not turning?????

Feel free to contact me.

Is it wet there aka rain??? maybe ...... a bad coil?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 AM

I got it! I'll post more in a bit, got to go to work!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never had a bad Igniter. I am sure some one has had one to fail in the past. Coils I have had to fail. You can check the Primary and Secondary on the Coil and that will tell you if you have a bad Coil.

It has been some time ago but seems like a did have a bad Ignition Switch that caused a no signal. Been so long ago that I cant recall what was the symptoms.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 AM

So, the problem I believe was threefold...
1. I cleaned up all grounding straps.

2. The signal generator didn't ohm out properly when I rechecked it. It did when I bought it, but must've gone bad after I installed it. 160 at the part store, 250 when I rechecked it.

3. And the doozy, wait for it...the spring loaded button in the new dizzy cap, that transfers power to the rotor from the coil wire had fallen out. There was just a spring and a hole...so spark wasn't transferring through the cap. It's always the little things...

now i just need to learn how to tune the crane ignition system...

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-13-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 AM

OK so my diagnosis is the little doo hickie sping thing a ma jig in the dizzy cap is missing

My email at paypal is:

weeeee@ RIGHT.com

Good find pretty cool when things like this get figured out...

Search this Thread