84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Can you still buy new interior screws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Can you still buy new interior screws?

I've tried searching, and maybe I just suck at it, but I didn't find anything that specifically addresses my issue.
I just went to replace the stereo and speakers on my 86 4Runner and there are lots of missing screws, or screws that look like they were the wrong kind etc. Maybe I am just way to anal, but this really bothers me.

I have checked various Toyota parts stores online for diagrams and found the occasional screw with a part number, but I am looking for something more comprehensive. Like say a diagram of the instrument bezel with part numbers for the screws. And I am looking for this for the dashpad, stereo bezel etc.

I realize I may just have to go to wrecking yards to get all this stuff, but the the main Toyota yard here doesn't like to part with stuff like that. Plus, the donor truck might have the same problem.

It would just be nice to order a bag of screws that were meant to go with my 4Runner.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Unfortunately, Toyota did not make diagrams of just the screws. You have to look up the screws individually in each diagram for the assembly you are looking for.

Example below:

If you want to order these screws online and the screw isn't listed in the parts listing below the diagram, you can just type the part number into the search and the screw should show up.
https://parts.villagetoyota.com/show...rimLevel=14034

The good news is that Toyota used the same screws in many different models and a large range of model years. This means that almost all screws are still available. They are just tedious to look up.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome! That's super helpful and exactly what I was looking for. My plan is to get every screw identified, and then post actual pictures along with where they go. Those diagrams are kind of a pain to read, but there are only a handful of different screws listed, so i'll just order a couple of each to supplement what I already have.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
Unfortunately, Toyota did not make diagrams of just the screws. You have to look up the screws individually in each diagram for the assembly you are looking for.

Example below:

If you want to order these screws online and the screw isn't listed in the parts listing below the diagram, you can just type the part number into the search and the screw should show up.
https://parts.villagetoyota.com/show...rimLevel=14034

The good news is that Toyota used the same screws in many different models and a large range of model years. This means that almost all screws are still available. They are just tedious to look up.

old87yota,
WOW, where can I find that for my 84 4wd base cab? Would like to know where to get it from. It would really help me with my conversion from brown to gray as far as part numbers. Can you post it?
Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
If you find any out of production screws, I probably have a few, only removed once =).

@ NYHumpinUtah

From what I've seen, the different colors are the same part number that's cased in the part. Online sometimes there's an extra -## to denote brown etc and it's labeled with the color too. Like in the above link there's 4 parts with the same part number, but different colors.

If you click into each one, the last two numbers are the only part that changes (gray being the exception in this case)

55650-89108-05 - Beige
55650-89108-04 - Blue
55650-89105-03 ; 55650-89105-04; 55650-89105-06 - Gray
55650-89108-03 ; 55650-89108-02 - Gray

Seems like brown isn't listed which is weird. Following the Toyota Dealership diagrams can be a pain vs Honda ones, atleast for ATV's (less parts might be a factor). If I search the bottom ASSY number on mine it comes up with the same part page as the gray one above with 3 part numbers. I suspect the 03, 04, and 06 are the different colors and the gray is the default for some reason, or just the first part number.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolt gauge
Don’t worry about going straight to Toyota for factory correct screws , Toyota out sourced most of there screws and the company that has them now is Auveco , constant your local Fasnteal company , they have them (it’s where I got all my replacement screws/ bolts ) we actually have the factory hard top bolts for first gen 4runners . I work at a fasnteal so it’s easy for me to find replacement bolts, I’d swing by there and pick up a blue bolt gauge , they’re a life saver !
The following users liked this post:
Nervo19 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Old thread, *shrug*

Brown was a very limited run, but you probably already know this.

There were two shades of grey produced, the darker one is similar to the brown. You'll notice this darker grey mostly in original sales brochures, I don't think I have seen any "real world" photos. But I said the same about the brown not to long ago also.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin662

Bolt gauge
Don’t worry about going straight to Toyota for factory correct screws , Toyota out sourced most of there screws and the company that has them now is Auveco , constant your local Fasnteal company , they have them (it’s where I got all my replacement screws/ bolts ) we actually have the factory hard top bolts for first gen 4runners . I work at a fasnteal so it’s easy for me to find replacement bolts, I’d swing by there and pick up a blue bolt gauge , they’re a life saver !
I have a Fastenal near my house. They are everywhere. Do they give those gauges away for free? OP should take one screw with him to the store and buy a bunch. That's how I usually do it. It's time for me to learn to measure them.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
I have a Fastenal near my house. They are everywhere. Do they give those gauges away for free? OP should take one screw with him to the store and buy a bunch. That's how I usually do it. It's time for me to learn to measure them.
naw man they aren’t for free , I think they’re 9 bucks I’m not too sure , swing by and pick one up , the threads are on the back and it’s really kinda dummy proof , we changed our selling way so your local store probably won’t break packs anymore , but the majority of the bolts on the Toyota’s are a m8 I do believe , just make sure you pay attention to what grade you need and always remember “where a grade 5 will bend a grade 8 will snap “ & “where a grade 8.8 will bend a 10.8 & a 12.9 will snap” harder bolts tend to be more brittle in situations , like in a drive shaft , I wouldn’t recommend using grade 8s , Jude use grade 5 , if it needs to break a bolt it will . Down here in Mississippi we call em shear bolts . I’m not entirely sure what they’re really called . If your local store is rude or you’d rather me walk you through reading it just pm me and I’ll give you my # it’s not biggie !
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Old thread, *shrug*

Brown was a very limited run, but you probably already know this.

There were two shades of grey produced, the darker one is similar to the brown. You'll notice this darker grey mostly in original sales brochures, I don't think I have seen any "real world" photos. But I said the same about the brown not to long ago also.
What's your source on the limited production of brown, and is it in the context of only 4runners or pickups too of the same generation? About 50% of the pickups I get 86-87 are brown, rest are gray, and have had 1 blue interior pickup and only one 4runner which was blue interior. This is out of around 10 trucks from that generation. 89-95 brown was a lot more uncommon in my experience, and gray seems to be the common color for that year range. I think I've only seen one brown interior 89-95 pickup, and it looked like gray interior painted gray (wear on the dash was gray under the brown).