84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Alt+regulator wiring troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Alt+regulator wiring troubles

So I get on here an look around all the time, an I've found plenty of helpful info... but my current problem I just cant seem to fix.
I have an 84yota with the 22r.
Its got a brand new alt an regulator, but still not charging... what Ive figured out is that it apears my 'ignite wire' isnt getting the volts it should be to kick the alt on...
this is causeing the dummy light for the brake and alt to also stay on at all times...
Ive been tearing my truck apart checking wires and cant seem to find were it all ends.
So one of my questions is cant I just run a new wire as a ignition source for the alt- as long as I run it off of somethin that is only on when the truck is on and through a diode of some sort in... will this work?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Find awiring diagram for your truck.
All you need is a 12v source to send power to the regulator, a ground, and a power cable running to your battery +, the rest is all wired between the regulator and alternator.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem is? I am having this same charging issue. I, too, have a new alt, and regulator and still no charge. let me know it you find anything?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude. Run a wire from the + side of your alternator to the + side of your battery, with a test light or something inline, so that you can see if it's actually charging..
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Instead of addin stuff couldn't you just turn the key on and probe the wire that is suppose to be the field excitation wire with a test light? If it is hot I'd check the terminals where they connect to the alternator: my son only had his making partial contact and it arced and burnt most of the terminal off.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. I figured the problem. Both, reman Alt+new regulator were bad. It pisses me off when the autoparts stores sell you cheap ˟˟˟˟s.

I think my toyota alternator was still working fine... should have kept it.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 PM

Alt

So If you cant read on the images very well.
The black wire goes from the E(-) on the alternator, and goes directly to the IC regulator... This apears to be a ground on the alternator side.... but puts out around 7 volts on the regulator side

The lil green wire goes from the Field (A) on the alt and directly to the reg - this wire usually has around 4-6 volts running through it

The yellow wire comes off of the (L) Lamp/trio and goes to both the regulator and the charge fues under the hood, which continues into the dash for the charge light and charge replay. - For 45 bucks a professional electrition told me this circuit has a short in it somewhere- Its usually 11+ volts

The red wire goes to the 15A engine fuse and to the charge relay according to my wire diagram - its 12.5+ volts and im thinkin its suppose to be

The white wire comes off of my alt power terminal... it puts out 2 volts right now... not so good this one goes in towards the fusebox under the dash...
while the other white wire that outta the regulator goes towards the fusebox under the hood... according to my wire gram they meet up and directly to the 60A fuse under the hood/

So I've still been dickin around with this trying to see if I could run a new ignition wire to the alternator with a toggle switch on it. That way I can flip the switch - and boom the alternator puts out 14v...

Does anybody know which one the ingtine wire on the alt is... and if you can put 12.5+v to it and make it work....

Any help would be appreciated..
BTW I do have a wire diagram... have the thing for auto zone... its a pretty nice one - other then it dont tell you volts or were in the truck ˟˟˟˟ is actually at...

Last edited by delmert; 11-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:42 PM

i have a 1994 toyota pickup the alt has 3 wires running to it a red green and yellow which one is power and what are the other two for
Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Might I suggest getting an FSM or similar for you truck? Wiring diagrams are great tools.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM

They dont really have many good wire diagrams...
If your talkin about the wires between the reg an alt my earlier post talks about them.
One note to point out is that there is negatively an positively activated regulators... I belive the yellow wire should be grounded if the alt is workin right (therefor the light wont be on. red's almost always a hot wire, it might mean its a positively activated alt. an the green wire I've never figured out.