84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 toyota pickup efi 4x4 has no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 toyota pickup efi 4x4 has no power

I got this truck from my Dad this year when he passed. it would start and idle fine but would not rev past 3000-3500 rpm. the windshield would leak water down to the passenger kick panel so I decided to try a different ecm. I got one off ebay and it revved and ran great for the first mile or 2 then developed a different problem. With the new ecm it cuts out at 2000 rpm like someone turned the key off. So I put the old ecm back in so it would at least be driveable. I have driven back and forth to work and a couple times the truck has died while going down the road but if I cycle the ignition it will start running again. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome Mike,

Tell us more about the rig for starters. How many miles. What the maintenance has been like.

For starters I would do a basic tuneup including changing the fuel filter. The fuel filter is hidden above the starter and a bear to get to. Most people don't change them. Pull your old one out and relocate it to the passenger wheel well. I was able to use a mounting bolt from my AC lines. The hoses will reach but you have to be a bit creative in the routing. Hopefully the fuel tank screen isn't all clogged up. Have to drop the tank or pull the bed on a pickup for that.

Toyotas are famous for being able to take neglect. So many people just change the oil and put fuel in them. By now a 33 year old rig is in need of past due maintenance. Don't neglect the trans and T case fluid. Installing new shifter seat bushings also can help restore the "new truck feel".
Be careful messing with those wires. They are super brittle and can break inside of the sheathing, ask me how I know
Take some pictures of your engine compartment and a few rig shot and post them up. The more you can put us in front of your rig the better we can help.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 10-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 AM

To be honest I have no clue what the maintenance has been like. I recently changed the fuel pump in the tank and screen. I looked at the fuel filter under the throttle body and it looked fairly new. I like the idea of relocating it to the fender well and since a filter isn't expensive it would be worth changing. I have changed plugs and the coil. Cap and rotor looked good. When I first got it running after shutting it off the charcoal canister would make noise. I don't know if that is a sign of something. The original ecm always has a check engine light and when the jumper is put in I do not get and codes. With the second ecm I don't have a CEL and with the jumper CEL will flash. I can take more pics of the engine compartment if that will help. I took these last night after work. I will need to rebuild the motor. Compression is 130-150 and eat burns oil. It ran like a champ when I first installed the second ecm but started cutting out on acceleration. Thanks for the reply fishguy.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
See the cover of the air flow meter? Someone has been in there messing around. Moisture can get in there and mess stuff up. I would swap that out first. It may not be opening all the way.85-95 22re air flow meters all should work for a swap. They look different but it is just the shape, the electronics are the same.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Another good indicator of a stuck slightly open AFM would be a constant running fuel pump, is yours always running when key is on, engine off?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:26 AM

I will check the fuel pump tonight when I get home. I will also try and locate a air flow meter to try. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-06-2018, 04:16 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Get a new fuel tank cap, visually inspect the three tank lines for external damage and if you have an air compressor blow the trash out of them.

It shouldn't be making that noise from the evap tank.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Be careful when you take the feedline loose from the fuel filter. The factory, more often than not, overtightens the flare nut and spreads the flare nut and it ruins the threads in the filter as well as the threads of the flare nut. Tried to get Toyota to warranty the line once at Hoover Toyota, they refused and said the filter should not have been replaced because it is a life-time filter. Use that as you will and good luck.