YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   85 4runner noises and shaking (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/85-4runner-noises-shaking-305912/)

Djake29 10-10-2018 08:52 PM

85 4runner noises and shaking

My 4runner is making ticking noises always, and also a lot of shake at idle and at 4th gear to 5th. It's become dangerous and scary to drive at higher speeds (even though it's slower than a turtle). If I can get some help I'd appreciate it.

coryc85 10-11-2018 08:06 AM

Shaking at idle sounds like you are not running quite right, mines pretty smooth at idle. I assume this is a 22re engine because I don't believe you could get a carb'd 4Runner in 1985...but I could be wrong about that. So first thing, are there any vacuum leaks? Check for any cracked or missing vac lines? When was your last tune up? Are your valves adjusted, idle speed set, and timing adjusted? What is the condition of your plugs\wires\cap\rotor?

As for the shake in between 4th and 5th I have no idea if you are meaning driveline shakes or if you mean the engine is shuddereing. Are your motor mounts intact?

I think we need some more info, maybe a youtube clip of the issue and as much information about the truck as possible.

dropzone 10-11-2018 08:13 AM

Carbs were still available in 85 and beyond

shakes sound like Coryc85 mentioned could be motor mounts, also inspect the mount for the transfer case.

or your shakes if related to the front end shaking aka death wobble it could be bearings, tie rod ends etc

again like he said more information/better descriptions are needed. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum but for us to help you, you need to help us with an accurate description of your issues

Djake29 10-11-2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85 (Post 52409902)
Shaking at idle sounds like you are not running quite right, mines pretty smooth at idle. I assume this is a 22re engine because I don't believe you could get a carb'd 4Runner in 1985...but I could be wrong about that. So first thing, are there any vacuum leaks? Check for any cracked or missing vac lines? When was your last tune up? Are your valves adjusted, idle speed set, and timing adjusted? What is the condition of your plugs\wires\cap\rotor?

As for the shake in between 4th and 5th I have no idea if you are meaning driveline shakes or if you mean the engine is shuddereing. Are your motor mounts intact?

I think we need some more info, maybe a youtube clip of the issue and as much information about the truck as possible.

Its a 22re and the cap rotor plugs and wires are new.. I don't think there are any vacuum leaks but I'll check it out

Djake29 10-11-2018 09:31 AM

Another thing to mention is it was fine till I changed my exhaust and when I changed my exhaust it wasn't mounted 100 percent correctly so it had started to backfire then I fixed a few exhaust leaks and that helped but didn't fix it