84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22RE won't run after sitting for two years

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22RE won't run after sitting for two years

(if this belongs in newbie forum just let me know)

Hello. I have an old Dolphin motorhome built on an 85 pickup up chassis with a 22RE motor (75K). It will sit in the driveway for years at a time, and start up almost instantly when I need it. I know I should fire it up more often but I forget, and hey, it's a TOYOTA! :>

But alas when I tried to start it this week after about 2 years of no use my luck ran out. Here are my symptoms, and what I've tried to remedy them:

The motor will turn over and start, but it will only idle. And it idles rough. Any attempt to rev the engine and it immediately dies, even under no load, even fully warmed up.

What I've tried:
1) disconnected gas line under hood and ran the electric fuel pump until gas was drained from tank. Added 10 gals fresh gas with fuel system cleaner.

No help. Engine still idles rough and dies when throttle opened.

2) Good spark to all plugs. Pulling each plug wire in turn produced drop in RPM. She seems to be firing on all cylinders. Swapped spark plugs. No help. Old plugs were a bit WET with gas. The motor is acting like it is running rich.

3) Checked air intake system for blockage. There was small rats nest in the compartment below the air filter, but cleaning that out made no difference. Air system clear other than that.

4) Checked all vacuum lines. All ok.

5) Cracked open fuel connector that runs from the lower section of the intake manifold up to the top part of manifold (I don't know the terminology here). A strong stream of fuel came spurting out. Fuel pressure SEEMS ok.

6) Checked cap and rotor. Corrosion on rotor so I lightly sanded the top and side. Engine SEEMED to run a bit smoother at idle. Still can't open the throttle though without it dieing.

Sooo, I seem to have good spark, good fuel. Have not done a compression test yet. But it ran perfect last use. Every once in a while the idle will smooth out and run normal. But it only lasts for a few seconds. I don't think I have a stuck injector because ALL cylinders seem equally affected.

Any ideas?? thanx

Last edited by coastalcruiser; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will it revnormally if you spray carb cleaner into the air cleaner as you depress the accelerator pedal? Or does it make it worse?

Injectors may be gummed up causing fuel to pour out instead of being atomized? Or TPS sticking? AFM not moving freely?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Will it revnormally if you spray carb cleaner into the air cleaner as you depress the accelerator pedal? Or does it make it worse?

Injectors may be gummed up causing fuel to pour out instead of being atomized? Or TPS sticking? AFM not moving freely?
Good thoughts. I will need to procure some carb cleaner to test that.

If it is the injectors, I think it's ALL of them, as the issue seems to affect all cylinders (all plugs looked about the same - dark and moist)

Can you give me an idea of where the AFM lives. I don't have a shop manual yet and have not yet located a EFI diagram online as yet. Thinking maybe I can tap on it ?? and see what happens ??

thnx
Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Wait. I found an online manual. Let me peruse that for diagram of locations. I don't want to burn up any ones time with ignorant questions. ;>
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM

I had a mouse build a nest in a 22re airbox a long time ago and it gummed up the AFM really bad. Did the same thing that you describe. The AFM is directly on top of the airbox and the flap inside should move freely.