84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84/85 Dash warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84/85 Dash warning lights

Gents,

84 Standard Cab 4x4, Manual Trans here.

Have the dash out and noticed there were not bulbs or bulb holders in the following sockets on the LEFT side of speedo/tach cluster

FILTER
TIMING BELT
CHECK ENGINE
and one other I am forgetting.

Noticed this by shining a light on the back of the instrument cluster.

Without the history on this truck, could the bulbs and sockets have been removed by the previous owner
or
Did this model not have those warning lights as part of the system?

Cheers!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

That is normal to have bulbs missing as Toyota used the same gauge cluster for many different models and only put in the bulbs that were used for that particular model.

FILTER: Only used on Diesel models
TIMING BELT: Only used on Diesel Models (all other models used timing chains)
CHECK ENGINE: Only used on Fuel Injected Models (no fuel injected 22R in the trucks until 1985)

My 1987 Truck with the carbureted 22R engine does not have theses bulbs from the factory. They were just left empty because that circuit wasn't used.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the note. This is what I suspected but wanted to be sure before buttoning the dash back up.

Cheers!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I've noticed if you add the extra bulbs it causes some of the gauges on the other side to not function. I haven't tested it fully but my oil gauge wasn't working when I had the right side full of bulbs and then when I took out the ones not needed my oil gauge started to work. So who knows. I have a spare SR5 cluster I'm going to test it on since that oil gauge wasn't working but I just figured it was the sender because it had a big dent.