84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84' 2JZ 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Tire/Wheel combo looks great! The video of it running doesn't appear to be working lol
Old 08-29-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakey poo
The video of it running doesn't appear to be working lol
It’s working great for me…

Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 PM

I finally installed the most of the cooling system. I ordered a radiator from CX Racing along with two electric fans. To install the fans, I enlarged the radiator opening on both sides by about 1". Also, I had a heck of a time installing the plastic retainer clips because the clips kept stripping. I need to make a custom top radiator hose but overall I'm happy with the final results.

The engine is almost complete. Other than the top radiator hose, I need to install a vent line from the gas tank to the fuel evap canister(?) and secure it until I can find a suitable factory replacement, clean up the wiring, and have a custom exhaust installed to attach the 2jz exhaust manifold to the original exhaust system. The engine compartment almost looks factory.

Here's a side shot. Hopefully I can get her on the road next week and paint her by the end of the year.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
What a clean install! Looks like it was meant to be there.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Since my last post I've been trying to track down why the engine was running like crap. I replace the spark plugs and preformed compression test with results of 200 lbs +/- 5lbs.Awesome! Unfortunately, the engine would not start after the plugs were installed due to no spark. At the time, I thought it was caused by me not disconnecting the coil and distributor before starting the compression test. So I replaced the distributor, coil, and igniter. Still no spark. Then I replaced the ECU with a CA version for the 2jz and it fired right up but would no idle at all. I sent my Federal ECU to a repair shop in Florida and the runner is now back up and running. However, it has lack of power at wide open throttle and excessive fuel consumption. Most likely this is due to the TPS not being adjusted correctly which is PITA to fix. I've adjusted at least 10 times without luck. I'm also looking into a possible vacuum leak and the mass airflow sensor. The good news is the runner has passed emissions and drives great under normal driving conditions (not WOT).

I ordered a driver's side battery hold-down from North West Toy's located in Oregon. It's kinda pricey but worth the expense considering the quality.

Last edited by 2JZRunner; 12-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM

I had a spare top from my old 1985 Toyota 4Runner lying around and decided to cut the back half of the top and remove the side windows. I also rebuilt the front axle by replacing all the bearings and seals and installed new rotors, calipers, and pads. Unfortunately, my phone took a crap and I lost those pictures. Next time I install the 1/2 top, I'll shoot some pics for you but the rest is history.

Here's a picture with the rock-lights installed!

Last edited by 2JZRunner; 12-11-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts
WOW! Somebody likes a challenge . This is cool.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I thought about a 2jz swap. I didn't have the courage. Good on you. Keep it up man this thing is rad.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Damion812
WOW! Somebody likes a challenge . This is cool.
Thanks! It's turning out to be a bigger challenge than I originally anticipated. But she's getting closer!

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I thought about a 2jz swap. I didn't have the courage. Good on you. Keep it up man this thing is rad.
If you decide to tackle the swap, send me a PM. I'm happy to provide insight on what to do and what to avoid. Stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited by 2JZRunner; 02-01-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:27 PM

It's been nice enough here in phoenix to finally put on the 1/2 top, The passengers are really going to like how open it is.

I also finally started building the gauge pod. At first I started with sheet metal but my hole saw kept walking in the hole making it larger than I needed. I decided to use ply wood. I tell myself that I will eventually make one out of metal but I probably won't. The missing gauges are the fuel level and the oil pressure. Also all the indicator lights.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM

The last new addition is a double din stereo with a back-up camera and navigation!

As I've mentioned before, I'm having an issue with the engine running at its full potential. Currently the 2jz is in "limp mode" meaning that it will no exceed 4,000 RPM and is consuming more fuel than normal. Last check, I calculated 12mpg. I've decided to scrap the stock ECU and will be installing a standalone engine management system and a new wiring harness to match; all of this at the tune of $2,600. ugh! Once it's running correctly, I can start with the fun mods (bumpers, cage, lockers,...). Until then!

Last edited by 2JZRunner; 02-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE WORK MAN. I wish id have gone that rout some times but im pretty happy with the 3.4 i put in my 85. you seem a bit smarter than me. i had a shop do my harness after i failed the first time. i just did my 2nd cab swap due to a employee rolling it and now im getting no spark. i didnt unhook any of the damn plugs from the motor so im not sure what the f lol. when i hook up the scanner it said p1600 no power to ecu. i figured id just try running 12 v to the ecu pin but it didnt fire. crank and cam censor are plugged in. sorry for derail but i get no reply's to my thread lol. any ideas?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Humboldt Wheeler
NICE WORK MAN. I wish id have gone that rout some times but im pretty happy with the 3.4 i put in my 85. you seem a bit smarter than me. i had a shop do my harness after i failed the first time. i just did my 2nd cab swap due to a employee rolling it and now im getting no spark. i didnt unhook any of the damn plugs from the motor so im not sure what the f lol. when i hook up the scanner it said p1600 no power to ecu. i figured id just try running 12 v to the ecu pin but it didnt fire. crank and cam censor are plugged in. sorry for derail but i get no reply's to my thread lol. any ideas?
I don’t know much about the 3.4 so I don’t know how helpful I will be on diagnosing your issue. The first thing that comes to mind is if the truck ran after the rollover but before the cab swap, I would look at all the ground wires to make sure they are secure. Also, if you painted the cab you may want to remove the paint from the ground points to ensure a good contact.

Attach a link to your original post so this build thread doesn’t turn into a 3.4 repair thread.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
'Scribed! This is a sick build so far brada, keep up the good work! I'm hoping to do the same swap with my 85 in the future so this has taught me some stuff already so thank you. Any updates with the new ecu system? Also, do you have an pictures of what you had to do for the exhaust?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lono&theGremlin
'Scribed! This is a sick build so far brada, keep up the good work! I'm hoping to do the same swap with my 85 in the future so this has taught me some stuff already so thank you. Any updates with the new ecu system? Also, do you have an pictures of what you had to do for the exhaust?
Thanks!

I just ordered a standalone wiring harness from Tweak'd Performance; it should be here in about a month. For the exhaust, I took the 4runner to an exhaust shop who installed a prefabbed Y-pipe. It needs to be fixed because the way it's welded is preventing me from installing the front driveshaft. Unfortunatley the exhaust is not a priority because I need to get the engine running properly first. In fact, it's better that I have only 2wd because it's preventing me from hitting the trails. I'll take a picture once I get the system fixed.

So back to the ECU. I'm ordering the AEM Infinity 506 ecu and other necessary components (map sensor, etc). In addition, I'm swapping the ignition from a distributor and wires to LQ9 coil-on-plug to make installing the ECU and any performance improvements easier. I'll have few more pictures to post when the harness arrives.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 AM

A lot has happened since my last post. The transmission went from making a clicking noise to a growl. What better time to install Marlin Crawlers 4.7 Gears in the transfercase than now!

In normal fashion, I was so excited to get the install the gears, I took only the few pictures above.

Last edited by 2JZRunner; 04-14-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM

I splurged on and ARB BUMPER! I’ve always loved the look of these bumpers vs. tube bumpers. Eventually, I’ll add the winch and lights.

The AEM Engine Management system, Wideband O2 sensor, Idle Air Temp sensor, and Map sensor arrived as well.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 PM

I was originally going to install Chevy LQ9 coils but after talking to Cam at Tweaked Performance, I learned they will not fit under the cross-over intake. Instead of the LQ9’s these wasted spark coils will be used instead. I found them at a junkyard in a 2001 Lexus IS300 with a 2JZ VVTI engine.

With the NGR steering wheel and lock kit, this should make stealing my Toyota a little harder. Although, this won’t prevent a tow truck theft. At least it’s one more layer of security.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Oh, and I'm sure some of you noticed the nice green carpet! I installed fake grass in my backyard and had enough leftover to in the runner. Eventually I will install real carpet but this helps keep the road noise down for now.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lono&theGremlin
I finally had the exhaust fixed. Here are some pictures. The tech built a Y-pipe to attach both exhaust manifolds then routed the exhaust between the oil pan and the bell-housing. I also had him install a flange on the catalytic converter to make removing this section easier should I need to pull the transmission or engine again.

Quick Reply: 84' 2JZ 4Runner Build