84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84 22r part of head gasket ripped with TC cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 22r part of head gasket ripped with TC cover removal

Hi guys, doing timing chain on 84 truck 22r engine and when I pulled the timing chain cover off part of the head gasket was stuck to it and ripped off... only the front part not complete piece, so the question is should I just buy a head gasket and cut the piece of that goes on top of TC cover and use that?

Don't really feel taking head of and replacing the whole head gasket, truck has 270K on it and I don't want to spend too much time and money if not necessary...

So, what do you think? Can I get away with replacing only the part that goes on top of TC cover? or am I too optimistic and it will not work? Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

You risk it leaking like a seive
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Some more info with pictures...

first picture is representing the torn part

the second picture shows what I would cut from new head gasket and replace (after cleaning the old gasket from both surfaces) while adding FIPG compound in the corners.

I don"t see why it would not work, there are no pressures from combustion/compression or any other kind of pressures in this section, its not even on top of engine block, sole purpose is to keep oil from leaking out of timing chain cover.
Attached Thumbnails 84 22r part of head gasket ripped with TC cover removal-rippart.jpg   84 22r part of head gasket ripped with TC cover removal-iliketodo.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may as well just put Ultra Black silicone(I believe FIPG is same) and not even worry about that piece. You will have the same results, IMO, plus it would save cost of purchasing another head gasket.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rokblok
You may as well just put Ultra Black silicone(I believe FIPG is same) and not even worry about that piece. You will have the same results, IMO, plus it would save cost of purchasing another head gasket.
I'd have to disagree with ya there bud. That head gasket is a ill thick there for with no head gasket the timing cover will not set flush with the head. Gasket maker won't hold up to well like that IMO.

As far as the original question. You have a good idea but not very smart of one. IMO you should replace the gasket. If you do it right this time then you may hit 370 thousand. If your not gonna replace the head gasket then I highly recommend cutting out the section like you mentioned earlier. Make sure you use sealant as well. I'd almost bet that it will leak even if you would not have tore the gasket. You should always pull the head to replace the timing chain components.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with you, ToyotaBoy. I was meaning to say, if he is not going to replace the head gasket entirely, he may as well just FIPG the whole thing. It's gonna have the same results, leakage.... So why buy a head gasket, cut it up, and end up with leakage...when he can just gob a tube of FIPG in there and end up with leakage...

Last edited by rokblok; 07-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 AM

the same thing happened to me, Californiak, when replacing my timing chain. I'm in the same boat as I did not want to pull my head and replace the gasket. I did what you are thinking about doing, except that I just re-used the piece that tore AND used black FIPG when putting it back together.

My truck runs great, but has a very small leak.

It is a very, very slight leak of oil. And I mean very slight. I wipe off the small amount of oil that leaks (about a dime's worth) every few weeks. No, it's not perfect, and I would prefer no leak at all, but my repair cleaned up major amounts of leaking around the front main seal so I did come out way ahead in my book.

So, in my not-so-expert opinion, you can "get away with it".

I agree with yotaboy and rokblox in that you SHOULD pull the head, but I think you'll be okay with doing it your way. It just won't be perfect.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replies guys,

Rusto, that's why I posted here, I figured this must have happened to someone already and they figured out a way to fix it without taking the head off...

I was going to do what you have done but for $15 for a new gasket I decided to cut the remaining piece off, clean both surfaces real good and cut the new gasket to fit, then apply FIPG to corners as recommended by toyota FSM...

hope I get no leaks at all, will post results when I find out
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Rokblok, originally I considered your solution with FIPG but decided against because the way TC cover installs is prone to push all the silicone into the TC cavity and that could pose big problems if it ends up in oil pan...

For $15 dollars I opted for replacing the part of the head gasket that sits between the head and TC cover, plus silicone in corners...

thanks for reply
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Toyota-boy, under ideal conditions I would take the head off and do it that way. There is however the possibility of something else going wrong with taking apart 30 year old engine and it is not worth to take the risk. That part of a head gasket is not vulnerable to any stresses or pressures so if I do it right there should be no leaks at all. Well worth the $15 investment.

Will let you know if it worked.

Thanks for reply
Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Not only will I put FIPG on the corners of the piece you are going to add on but also make a bead of Silicone on top of the timing cover, I don't know if its just me but my timing cover is about a centimeter lower than the deck of my block.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM

That's not possible Bullet22r, did you get your cm and mm mixed up? It could be off about a mm if you lost that gasket on top of it... I guess its possible if you replaced the TC cover with new one and didn't notice the head gasket stuck to the old TC cover... LOL Your engine block and TC cover must be even on top.

But no way it could be off 1cm!!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullet22r
Not only will I put FIPG on the corners of the piece you are going to add on but also make a bead of Silicone on top of the timing cover, I don't know if its just me but my timing cover is about a centimeter lower than the deck of my block.
Are u running a pre 85 block with 85-95 timing cover???????
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM

Yes I meant to say mm lol my bad, but it has always been like that well for me anyways, when i did the first HG job i noticed the timing cover was not flushed with the deck of the block was about a mm off. Funny story when I was doing my timing chain 2 weekends ago i stripped the hole bolting the head to the timing cover, so with no car in hand I drilled a 5/16 hole through the timing cover and with a grinder i made a little flat area so the nut can be horizontal and got a long 12mm bolt and bolted it, only leaks from the bolt i put on i still need to put some FIPG or make a gasket for it. Pretty sketchy fix but it works.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Are u running a pre 85 block with 85-95 timing cover???????
I'm 90% positive that its all 86, but than again I am the third owner so I wouldn't know what has been done to it all these years.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Bullet, it could be what Toyota_Boy said, some blocks are slightly different height between early and later models of the 22R(E) engines, and I assume the TC covers differ in height too so it could be mismatch...

Got the gasket today and guess what, its creased and distorted in the very part of it that I need but still in the shrink wrap and cardboard backed packaging, so the guy that sells them is obviously not looking when he packages the items... it is so obvious to see when you look at it that it is not useable... hope he sends replacement or refund... another day lost and more time to forget what goes where and which screw holds what.... damn
Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM

To all of you trying to do timing chain job in the future DROP THE OIL PAN AT LEAST 1/8" - you do not have to remove it completely just unscrew the screws half way...

Much easier to that way... save yourself a lot of frustration... and extra work... LOL
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 PM

That's what I did when I did I my timing chain, but as someone said to me here its best to remove the oil pan so the pieces that fell into the pan won't interfere with the oil pickup screen.