84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22RE wont turn over when ~32 degrees or below and idle surges when warm

Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE wont turn over when ~32 degrees or below and idle surges when warm

All,

I've got an '85 22re/5spd, and when the temperature is really cold outside (~32* and below) the truck wont turn over most times. I put the key in the ignition, wait a couple seconds, and the lights are all on the dash. I turn the key and nothing happens, almost as if the battery was completely dead. I repeat it a couple times and still nothing. It happened to me this morning (~31* this morning) and came inside for about 10 minutes and then came back out to try again. This time after cycling the key a couple times it finally cranks over and then runs rough for 15-20 seconds (smells rich of gas from tail pipe) and then does the cold idle around 1600 rpms until it warms up. This has been an issue for a while, but I wasnt daily driving it last winter so I just drove my other car. Seems to be getting fuel (based on smell of gas from tail pipe) and battery is less than a year old, and when its warmer has no trouble starting. Any thoughts on what is likely causing this? Could the ambient temperature be messing with the starter solenoid? I tried searching but most people seem to cold start issues where it turns over but isnt getting fuel and can be the cold start injector, but that isnt the case here.

I also have an issue where the idle will surge when the truck is warm and will sometimes stall out if i don't intervene by giving it some throttle in neutral. I replaced hoses and confirmed no vacuum leaks, took throttle body off and cleaned it, and replaced the previously broken TPS connector with a new connector. Not sure if its starving or flooded, but was planning to replace the fuel filter this weekend (its been quite some time since its been replaced so should be done regardless). Also planning to do plugs and wires, not sure how old those are. Any thoughts or ideas?

I dont think both of these issues are linked, but maybe they are? Would love for 1 fix to address both issues. Really appreciate any insights.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I first read your post as -32F and was wondering where you live. 😂. When it finally spins over is it fast, normal, or slow like a dying battery? If slow I would investigate your major grounds and hot lead to the starter. Also I dont believe yours has a starter relay from the factory. Think those started around 87? Could be wrong.
Its fairly easy and cheap to do and solves a lot of random no start issues.
Here is a great write up on t4r about it.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ml#post1116602
Also @RAD4Runner has a lot of great wiring information on this site so he may be able to help more than I.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 826 Likes on 553 Posts
Weak batteries always get weaker with cold. I just replaced the Walmart battery in my truck that was 1.5 years old but had a 2 year warranty. If you have a 1 year warranty battery such as Autozone sells, I would not be surprised to see it weak. I have had a starter solenoid give me temp related problems, but that was on a Chevy and occurred when it was hot. I suffered with it a long time and then found out there was a crack in a plastic part that the batt cable connected to. When hot it expanded and the contact wasn't very good.

Put a volt meter on the battery when it's cold out and see what you get. You can also have it load tested at a parts store.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
+1 batteries get weaker when cold

Re rough cold start:
All temp sensors, and their connections and metal thread mountings need to be cleaned every 33 or so years.

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
...Also I dont believe yours has a starter relay from the factory. Think those started around 87? Could be wrong.
Its fairly easy and cheap to do and solves a lot of random no start issues.
Here is a great write up on t4r about it.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ml#post1116602
Also @RAD4Runner has a lot of great wiring information on this site so he may be able to help more than I.
+1 $30 worrh of parts to fix. See my post or search clicknocrank
Starter relays appeared on manual trannies mid-86, based on my survey of fellow owners, but they were wired wrong.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-06-2018 at 07:53 PM.