84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r Compression and timing chain questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM
KLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r Compression and timing chain questions

Hello all,

My '84 xtra cab is in need of a timing chain kit. The truck only has 137k on it but it was not regularly driven so many of the gaskets have dried out, mainly the valve cover gasket. I asked the question on another thread about pulling the motor to do the timing kit and gaskets but ran into a snafu before getting that far. Compression check. results as follows:

#1 - 145
#2 - 140
#3 - 132
#4 - 120

So the truck seems to run well, no smoke, not a ton of power but I figured, hey its a 22r, not really known for power. So I am sure that the main suggestion is I need to do a leak down test to see exactly whats going on, I will have to buy a tester for that. Wet compression had little to no effect what so ever. So my question is this, in your guys opinion is it even worth doing the timing kit and driving it? I would like to just put the kit in and change the valve cover gasket and drive it as it seems to run well, but by the FSM its time for a rebuild. If its a rebuild, unfortunately, its going to sit, just don't have the time or money now. I am going to check the valve lash just to make sure I don't have a couple to tight, but I am guessing that there are deeper valve issues? Could the fact that it sat around a lot have anything to do with a loss of compression on the valves? Thanks for the input, interested in everyone's opinions. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM
KLM

Hello all,

Didn't get a response here but I have a new question, hopefully it will spark someones comment. I decided to try to change the timing chain kit with the motor in just mainly because I don't have a good place to pull it out of the weather. But before I got started I for some reason pulled the radiator cap and I have noticed that I have lost some coolant and that there is a thin film of oil in the radiator. Now I know its very common for the timing cover to get worn through with the chain and dump water into the oil pan but is it possible for oil to get into the radiator this way? When removing the valve cover the chain has worn grooves into the cover but no obvious coolant leaks there, I am sure it could be very small. It has not been run hardly at all since I discovered the timing chain guide problem and it does not appear that there is any water in the oil. So is it possible to get oil into the radiator through that timing cover or not at all? Just wondering if that could be the problem and still could be fixed by a timing kit and cover or if its looking more like a bad HG? Any ideas welcome thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
KLM

Forgot to mention, I checked the lash on the valves all of them were WAY to tight, the compression numbers all came up to between 145 and 150 after adjusting them.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM

If oil and antifreeze are mixing, I'd suspect the head gasket is your cause of lower compression. But there's no smoke at all out the tailpipe?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
KLM

Originally Posted by ab0tj
If oil and antifreeze are mixing, I'd suspect the head gasket is your cause of lower compression. But there's no smoke at all out the tailpipe?
None, no smoke at all. The compression is a little low by the fsm but not at rebuild threshold yet and there isn't a huge variation between cylinders after adjusting the valve lash. I actually have not seen any signs of water in the oil either just a trace of oil in the radiator, which is why I was wondering if its even possible for oil to enter the coolant system through the timing cover.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Ah, I guess I missed the "forgot to mention" post. Disregard my HG comment then
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
KLM

Ya, I haven't completely ruled out an HG yet I am just hoping its not! Anyone seen oil in the radiator that got through the timing cover? Thanks!