84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1986+ Rear Brakes Fit on 1985?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986+ Rear Brakes Fit on 1985?

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace my entire drum brake assembly in my 1985 4Runner and looking to keep it stock for this build (no disc conversion).

However, the biggest problem I am having is finding OEM backing plates as they have discontinued the 84-85 plates and I can't find any non-rusted used examples for sale.

If I go to toyotapartsdeal and use my VIN, it says the 86+ backing plates fit (and they are still available new). But I'm not so sure if this is true. Plus I realize 86+ rear brakes were larger, so I'm assuming I'll need to grab all new/used parts from an 86+ if I were to go this route as the 1985 parts wouldn't fit on the backing plate properly.

So my questions are:
1. Do 1986+ rear backing plates fit on a 1985 Toyota pickup/truck? I don't think the wider track has any influence here, mainly thinking bolt holes and possibly wheel backspacing if the drums are larger (I have stock 1985 wheels)?
2. If so, I'm assuming to be safe, I can just get the rest of the parts (drum, shoes, wheel cyl, springs, etc) from a 1987 perspective to match up the backing plate?
3. I also heard the parking brake mechanism was different. Anyone know if/what parts I may need to purchase if I do a 1987 swap to 1985 for the rest of the drum brake items?

I realize this is a weird request, but I'm trying to get this 1985 back to rust-free as OEM as possible, and the rear axle/drum assemblies are the last pieces that are trashed with rust.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes. Order wheel bearing kits, swap out entire brake assembly. If you have a spare housing laying around, I would cut it and make a tool to use in a press. Works faster. Look up "toyota axle bearing SST"

Personally, I would find a complete IFS truck rear axle and swap it in. Gain 3" of width, and you get the larger brakes.

Careful sourcing parts and pieces. there are 4 cylinder rear brakes, v6 rear brakes, and the 90 and up 4 runner rear brakes. You can not really mix the 3 up without running into issues as far as parts compatibility.

No matter what you do, I would note what year truck/runner brake system you swapped in, and write it on a door jamb or put a note in the glove box. that way in the future when rear brakes need to be done again, there is no question on what parts were swapped in.

I have had the rear brakes from a 89 v6 truck, on a 84 rear housing.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SENOR NOODLES
Yes. Order wheel bearing kits, swap out entire brake assembly. If you have a spare housing laying around, I would cut it and make a tool to use in a press. Works faster. Look up "toyota axle bearing SST"

Personally, I would find a complete IFS truck rear axle and swap it in. Gain 3" of width, and you get the larger brakes.

Careful sourcing parts and pieces. there are 4 cylinder rear brakes, v6 rear brakes, and the 90 and up 4 runner rear brakes. You can not really mix the 3 up without running into issues as far as parts compatibility.

No matter what you do, I would note what year truck/runner brake system you swapped in, and write it on a door jamb or put a note in the glove box. that way in the future when rear brakes need to be done again, there is no question on what parts were swapped in.

I have had the rear brakes from a 89 v6 truck, on a 84 rear housing.
Hi,

Thanks so much, looks like I'm not the only crazy person swapping in later drum brakes instead of going disc conversion . Long story short, I'm going to need all brake parts specific to year/engine from the backing plate -> outward towards the wheel. I'm thinking I can simply put in say a 1987 4 cylinder into a parts diagram software (like partsouq.com) and build from there.

1. I'm guessing the bearings, retainer, axle seals should still be sourced as a 1985, or does it matter?
2. Did you have to get any parts specific to the parking brake from the donor 86+ that attach to the backing plate or can I reuse the original 1985 parts?

Thanks again, I was doubtful I'd get such a detailed response on this.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There bearing are the same. Personally, I would find a set of shafts with the brakes still on them, and then swap the whole backing plates with the brakes still attached to the 1985 shafts. Then replace shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders.

You aren't crazy for not wanting to go discs. Disc brakes do not work as well as a drum. And the kits available to run rear disc on your semi float axles, use fixed calipers which leads to spongy pedals and needing residual valves to keep the pads closer to the rotors. Which running the residual valve defeats one of the purposes of running disc brakes, which is reduced drag.