YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   1985 Toyota Pickup Headaches, Timing related.. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/1985-toyota-pickup-headaches-timing-related-228317/)

lokirx7 01-24-2011 04:04 PM

1985 Toyota Pickup Headaches, Timing related..

I just bought my first pre-89 truck. I couldnt pass it up for $500. The individual I bought it from said he blew the headgasket and replaced it. Along with the headgasket, he installed a new top-end gasket kit. He also replaced the timing chain, guides, sprockets and tensioner.

He still couldnt get it to run and didnt want to try starting it when I came to pick it up. I still couldnt pass a factory front sas truck, with a header, mud tires and centerline wheels. Body and frame are in good shape too.

So I get it home and crank it over, and it sounds like there is no compression. I assumed that since he had done the timing chain, perhaps the cam was 180 out... No such luck... Cam dimple is at 12 o'clock and the crank dimple is at 6 o'clock. Everything looks kosher, and Ive built two or three 22r/re's before. So I do like to think I know what I am doing. I was hoping for some suggestions of things I may have stupidly overlooked, or just a common issue I havent looked for yet.

Thanks for any input!

lokirx7 01-24-2011 04:09 PM

Oh yeah, Im parting my '91 out because of rust. Im planning on swapping the RE into my truck if I cant figure this thing out. or if it requires some major work. Im going to have to replace the transmission eventually anyway, it pops out of 1st and third. I was hoping fixing the 22R would be easier than doing an RE swap. Although since I have a parts truck that runs great, I have all the parts I need on hand to do the swap.

toyrunnerns 01-24-2011 05:18 PM

check for fuel , lack off can seem like no compression. also maybe do a compression test may tell you something someone did or did not do.

lokirx7 01-24-2011 05:52 PM

Engine is receiving spark and fuel. Engine has no compression. When hitting the starter it spins free as if there are no spark plugs in the head.

lokirx7 01-25-2011 08:54 AM

Pulled the head, badly bent valve in cylinder 4. 2 and 3 have bad cracking between the valve seats. Cylinder 1 looks fine. Cylinder walls look great, still has hone marks in bores.

lokirx7 01-27-2011 07:05 PM

Well I got it running. Turned out not only was the head cracked in two cylinders and a bent valve in another, but it was warped badly. I dont know that Ive ever seen a head look that bad with a straight edge on it. Previous owner said he overheated it, I guess he made sure it was well done. He did throw a new headgasket at it, but didnt check the head thoroughly for warpage... Or maybe he didnt check.. Either way good for me!

77lubr 01-29-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by lokirx7 (Post 51647115)
Well I got it running. Turned out not only was the head cracked in two cylinders and a bent valve in another, but it was warped badly. I dont know that Ive ever seen a head look that bad with a straight edge on it. Previous owner said he overheated it, I guess he made sure it was well done. He did throw a new headgasket at it, but didnt check the head thoroughly for warpage... Or maybe he didnt check.. Either way good for me!

.........and that is good for you because????????:domo2:

lokirx7 01-29-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 77lubr (Post 51648381)
.........and that is good for you because????????:domo2:

If it werent for the not running issue it had when I got it, I wouldnt have gotten it on the cheap. It was a fairly simple fix given I had a good head and a gasket set laying around.

Even if I do swap the motor, now I can sell the engine for a little more because I know it runs.