84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 1 ton A4D transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 1 ton A4D transmission issues

hello,

I have a 1985 Toyota 1 ton pickup with 22re engine & a43d transmission:

Other month i cranked truck to move and put it in gear and it didn't move "radio was on or some noise" and i gave it gas again it moved i presumed it spun the tires in the dirt,it did fiine after that.Next morning same thing but this time it wouldn't move unless i gave it alot of gas.It did move better in reverse but still not up to par with normal acceleration but it did move easier "less gas pedal".
I pulled transmission pan and it was fairly clean but in the light u could see shiny minute metal particles in the sunlight.The metal on the magnets were so minute was like fuzz.I pulled the transmission put a new set of clutches "old clutches still looked good" and a seal kit & torque converter did a total replacement of everything and cleaned everything immaculately.
I put the transmission back in yesterday filled w fluid & let it warm completely.Got fluid level in range and put in gear w rear end off ground and nothing.I then put it in park revved the engine a few times put it in reverse and wheels turned & same in forward gear it rolled.I then took it off stands & once on ground rechecked fluid level before a test drive,fluid was in range. Backed out of the garage & put it in drive & it did the same thing it did before i pulled the transmission and rebuilt. It rolls fairly normal in reverse & i would have had to rev it to go forward.I shut it off and parked it.
My pump looked good & everything else in seal/clutch kit was replaced.I didn't do anything in the valve body and didn't go into the governor but i did take valve body apart & cleaned ports.
Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue of what it could be that is preventing full pressure to my clutches? As i said new torque converter,whole system was meticulously cleaned including radiator and pump looks fine.
I'm sure it's something minor such as governor or something in valve body or maybe even a modulator i'm not aware of.I don't think it's a solenoid because the only electrically charged part of the transmission is the overdrive & the transmission is linked to throttle body by cable.Also one more thing my floorboard shift lever feels good going into reverse but going to drive position it feels like it cocks to side or something.i don't think this is my issue but it does need correcting & find out why.
Any ideas on troubleshooting this problem greatly appreciated.I am a total amateur in auto transmissions but mechanic by trade.I did have a retired 84 yr old transmission rebuilder as mentor to help so i didn't exactly go into this blind.He gave advice i did the work kinda thing.
One more discrepancy...he"the retired transmission man" claims there were check balls in the unit the pump mounts to.I didn't see any check balls in any schematic i read or viewed & other transmission techs told me there weren't any there that they were only in the valve body.So with what i read & viewed i didn't put any check balls behind the pump where it mates to the assembly.If i would have put the balls in looking at the unit they would have been located at about 4 & 8 o'clock respectively in the housing. Any input on this?

Thanks alot for any help on this as this is my business truck & i need it running asap to haul merchandise to my shop.
thanks,
jlee