YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   1984 4runner 22r lost all accessory power (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/1984-4runner-22r-lost-all-accessory-power-303741/)

kgarr1986 03-13-2018 10:21 AM

1984 4runner 22r lost all accessory power

Hey I just picked up a 1984 4 runner 22r. I have only had it for a short time and everything was working. I took it out and hit a bump and lost power to all accessories (gauges, heater, stereo, blinkers).
It have went through all the wiring harnesses to see if anything was loose, I have pulled fuses and none looked bad, it had an aftermarket alarm system that I have removed to see if that was it, the ignition cylinder was worn so I replaced that. There is a amp and sub that I will check tonight, but wondering if anyone has any other ideas to check?

Thanks for the help

NYHumpinUtah 03-13-2018 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kgarr1986 (Post 52393282)
Hey I just picked up a 1984 4 runner 22r. I have only had it for a short time and everything was working. I took it out and hit a bump and lost power to all accessories (gauges, heater, stereo, blinkers).
It have went through all the wiring harnesses to see if anything was loose, I have pulled fuses and none looked bad, it had an aftermarket alarm system that I have removed to see if that was it, the ignition cylinder was worn so I replaced that. There is a amp and sub that I will check tonight, but wondering if anyone has any other ideas to check?

Thanks for the help

Welcome
Word to the wise: You have to be SPECIFIC for the guys on here in order for them to help, trust me!
Define "short time" a week, a month, a year 6 hours???
Did you, pull the alarm before or after the problem?
Did you replace the ignition before or after the problem?
Rad will be along shortly, he always comes to the rescue, he's the guru of electrical problems, and get your camera out
Good luck

kgarr1986 03-13-2018 01:11 PM

haha, ok thanks for the info :).
I had the thing for under a week when this problem arose.
I had made no changes to the vehicle and had driven it for probably around 70 miles total.
After I lost accessory power, I then checked all fuses, and inspected all the harness or aftermarket connections that I could find. When that went no where I moved on to the ignition components. After replacing with no luck, I moved on to the aftermarket alarm system, I bypassed and removed the alarm system and no luck. My next plan of attack is disconnecting the sub and amp to see if there is anything going on there.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...

old87yota 03-13-2018 01:26 PM

What, exactly, works and what doesn't?

Check each electrical system and list everything works and list everything that doesn't.

Does any electrical system work at all?

Does the 4Runner start and run?

Aftermarket alarm systems can be hooked up to just about anything, depending on who did the wiring. How was it hooked up?

:safari:

kgarr1986 03-13-2018 01:50 PM

The vehicle does run and headlights work, the items on accessory power are the only things that don't work (Blinkers, stereo, gauges, heater)

Co_94_PU 03-13-2018 04:28 PM

You need a multimeter.

Start by checking for voltage at the distribution block then
​​​​​​ move along to the fuse panel(s).

Visually inspecting a fuse only works sometimes, you need to measure voltage at both sides, and most times with the circuit active (current flowing)

L5wolvesf 03-13-2018 04:47 PM

As our Guru RAD4 would say: while you are checking connections make sure that you have bright shiny metal connected to bright shiny metal. This goes for grounds too. :)

NYHumpinUtah 03-13-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf (Post 52393324)
As our Guru RAD4 would say: while you are checking connections make sure that you have bright shiny metal connected to bright shiny metal. This goes for grounds too. :)

:bowdown2:

Lacy0923 11-23-2022 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah (Post 52393329)
:bowdown2:

hey guys. I have the same issue. While driving my main ground came unattached from the battery. The truck shut off immediately and everything was black. Reconnected the ground and now my instrument cluster, cigarette lighter, and radio are dead. Everything else works. I have checked every fuse I can find and all are good. What else?