Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Turboing a 2.2 Liter Diesel

Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboing a 2.2 Liter Diesel

Hi there,

I'm from Australia and have a 1983 2.2 Litre Dual Cab Hilux (LN46 model). I am about to put a TD04 Turbo (off a Subaru WRX) onto it, although I am having trouble figuring out the Oil Feed setup for the Turbo.

My questions are:
  1. Can I Tee off the Oil Pressure Sensor hole to supply the Turbo with Oil (like in image attached)? People always say use the Alternator oil feed, but I don't know why....
  2. Can I use either an inline Tee fitting like the one in the image (this) or a Double Banjo bolt (this) if I choose to take my Oil feed from the Alternator feed? People who do similar turbo setups always seem to use large speed flow Tee Fittings and I don't know why.

Also, if you have any other advice or tips RE turboing the 2.2 diesel I would love to here them, I am very new to this.

Cheers,
Karl
Picture of my hilux for your troubles

Old 06-01-2022, 06:32 PM

Did you ever turbo that engine?
Old 06-05-2022, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by marco.0780@gmail.com
Did you ever turbo that engine?
Yes, I did end up getting the turbo installed. It is fantastic! I did a How-To write up, i'll attach it here and on my build thread.
It's all Aussie parts and prices, so just keep that in mind.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Turboing an LN46 Hilux.pdf (200.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-05-2022, 03:32 AM

Turbo 2.2L

Originally Posted by monoles
Yes, I did end up getting the turbo installed. It is fantastic! I did a How-To write up, i'll attach it here and on my build thread.
It's all Aussie parts and prices, so just keep that in mind.
so ive been told that these little engines can’t handle the back pressure of a turbo, have you heard this before? Care to post a video of it running?
Old 06-05-2022, 01:50 PM

so ive been told that these little engines can’t handle the back pressure of a turbo, have you heard this before? Care to post a video of it running?
Oh really? I've never heard of that, most of the people I've spoken to claim to run 15+ psi with no issues. I have mine quite conservative, running only about 10-12psi MAX. Sits on about 6PSI on the highway.
I've made a custom exhaust from a stock 2020 Toyota Hilux, I believe it's a 2.75inch pipe, and it's got a 3inch dump pipe.
At some point, i'd like to get a tune and turn up the fuel, because I have pretty much maxed out the waste gate actuator so I can't get any more boost out of it without turning up the fuel a bit.
One thing I have noticed is that it seems to have more blow-by than it did without the turbo, this could possibly have been an issue with my piston rings, and adding the turbo is just highlighting the issue a bit more. But it doesn't blow any smoke and I haven't had issues with it at all.

Here's a link to a couple of photos/videos. I don't have any while actually driving. Let me know what you want to see and I'll try take a vid
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VqdjN5SGhzOXVR

Last edited by monoles; 06-05-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:43 PM

Oh really? I've never heard of that, most of the people I've spoken to claim to run 15+ psi with no issues. I have mine quite conservative, running only about 10-12psi MAX. Sits on about 6PSI on the highway.
I've made a custom exhaust from a stock 2020 Toyota Hilux, I believe it's a 2.75inch pipe, and it's got a 3inch dump pipe.
At some point, i'd like to get a tune and turn up the fuel, because I have pretty much maxed out the waste gate actuator so I can't get any more boost out of it without turning up the fuel a bit.
One thing I have noticed is that it seems to have more blow-by than it did without the turbo, this could possibly have been an issue with my piston rings, and adding the turbo is just highlighting the issue a bit more. But it doesn't blow any smoke and I haven't had issues with it at all.

Here's a link to a couple of photos/videos. I don't have any while actually driving. Let me know what you want to see and I'll try take a vid
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VqdjN5SGhzOXVR
damn that’s awesome!! Did you mention you have a parts list and how to do it. Kinda thing? Attached is my truck in the US

Old 06-07-2022, 01:27 PM

damn that’s awesome!! Did you mention you have a parts list and how to do it. Kinda thing? Attached is my truck in the US

Wicked! Sick truck!
Yeah, I attached the document I wrote on how to Turbo it to my previous post. Let me know if you can't see it.
I'll also point out, I had the intentions of adding images and fleshing out the document a bit more, but never got time, so just let me know if you're after any images.

Last edited by monoles; 06-07-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:48 PM

Wicked! Sick truck!
Yeah, I attached the document I wrote on how to Turbo it to my previous post. Let me know if you can't see it.
I'll also point out, I had the intentions of adding images and fleshing out the document a bit more, but never got time, so just let me know if you're after any images.

I found the file you posted! Well done!! On a different subject, do you have the 4 speed transmission in that truck? I’m trying to figure out where the reverse light switch is.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:00 PM

I found the file you posted! Well done!! On a different subject, do you have the 4 speed transmission in that truck? I’m trying to figure out where the reverse light switch is.
Yeah I do have the 4 speed. The wiring and plug for the switch is right at the top of the transmission. You should be able to see/feel it from underneath the car. You'll have to remove the gear stick to access the switch I beleive. I've never done it however.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:01 AM

Dope, found it, reverse lights hooked up and working. Also found the 4wd switch right in front of the shifters. So I have 3 plugs that go down to the tranny, 1- reverse lights ✔️ 2,- 4wd switch found but needs to be replaced or fixed. Do you happen to know the part number or where I can order one? 3-im assuming is the 4wd low range indicator which I have not found.

im hopeless lol
Old 06-12-2022, 01:59 PM

Nice!
Have a look on this site: https://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp...ol-engine-fuel
It lists the part numbers for basically every single part. It can sometimes be hard to depict. It's a good site to bookmark, I am pretty sure you can order parts through there as well, but I never have.
You can buy parts here too i'm pretty sure: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8422235012
I had a look around, and it looks like this might be your guy?

Last edited by monoles; 06-12-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:08 PM

Nice thanks for those web sites. Does the truck feel like it is gutless and weak? Or does it have some decent torque and low end power for a small engine. I’ve hardly drove mine before tearing it apart. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild it or swap it out for something more powerful.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:42 PM

Dope, found it, reverse lights hooked up and working. Also found the 4wd switch right in front of the shifters. So I have 3 plugs that go down to the tranny, 1- reverse lights ✔️ 2,- 4wd switch found but needs to be replaced or fixed. Do you happen to know the part number or where I can order one? 3-im assuming is the 4wd low range indicator which I have not found.

im hopeless lol
Nice thanks for those web sites. Does the truck feel like it is gutless and weak? Or does it have some decent torque and low end power for a small engine. I’ve hardly drove mine before tearing it apart. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild it or swap it out for something more powerful.
Nah, the truck is disgustingly gutless and weak hahah. I'd go as far as to say it'd be the slowest thing on the road with the exception of tractors. People complain about old 70 and 60 Series Landcruisers being slow, these are SLOWER.
The turbo helped a lot, but it is still very weak and can only JUST hold 100km/h (60mph) on the highway assuming it's flat and no headwind. Before the turbo, it would struggle to hold 90kmh and you can forget inclines.
Some people I spoke to who run 30psi boost on these engines say they feel quiet quick and have no troubles with power, but I am quite conservative and worry about blowing this thing up.

If you like to tinker and experiment, you could whack a turbo on it, weld the wastegate (I'm not exaggerating) and wind the fuel right up until you're in that 20-25psi boost range and just run it like that until the motor blows, then do a swap. Honestly, they are incredibly reliable, so I wouldn't be surprised if she runs fine with high boost for years, assuming the Pump and Injectors are in good condition. I've been told the only thing that kills these motors are back injectors or fuel pump.
Regarding an engine swap, the only engines I can recommend that are easy probably aren't available in the USA, those being: a 3LT engine from an LN106 Hilux, or a 3.8L Petrol engine from a Holden Commodore. Two very popular engine swaps for these hiluxes over here.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the truck going post turbo? had many issues with it?
I found your build document vey informative.
Ive got a 2.2l LN46 single cab in east coast aus that i plan on turbo'ing in the next few months.
The following users liked this post:
monoles (06-28-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m glad I came across this,
I’ve got a ln40 2wd that I’m wanting to turbo,
im in south bris aswel, will be fitting a turbo hopefully at christmas,
thanks for the info
The following users liked this post:
marco.0780@gmail.com (10-10-2022)