YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Toyota 3" lift gone wrong :( (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/toyota-3-lift-gone-wrong-186495/)

eggblade1 07-13-2009 03:06 PM

Toyota 3" lift gone wrong :(

This is my 1979 toyota pickup with a brand new 3" lift from Rough Country... Eventually with the adition of a flatbed and 33's I want it to be a little rock crawler. not to great but fun.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6977/truk.jpg

This is the picture of my shackles...

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3210/truckk.jpg

WTF? Why are the shackles baskwards??????? =O

:(

Please help. these are stock shackles with a BRAND new lift kit installed correctly (I hope)...

I followed the manual but...

3 step long manuals sure make the job look very simple. ex, "Step 2: install new leaf springs"... hu? lol.

I just need to know why my shackles are ed, ty. :)

drew303 07-13-2009 03:13 PM

id say the shackles are to short, mixed with unloaded springs. a longer shackle will keep it from inverting

eggblade1 07-13-2009 04:44 PM

ok, so now I need a shackle lift? how big do you think I need? I dont have enough money to fix the steering/ drive shaft problems that will occur after a 4+ inch lift and I already have the 3" spring lift... so I really hope more lift isent the solution.

and, unloaded spings???

slacker 07-13-2009 05:19 PM

I hope you own a kidney belt ? because you are in for a "rough ride" ..

ALL lifts are designed for "loaded" weight .. with out a box on (or any weight at all) your springs and shocks wont work at all ..

you need to put some weight on the back !!! buy a box !

Lumpy 07-13-2009 05:24 PM

You may need longer shackles but it probably will not lift it much at all. You need to get them going the other way and listen to Slacker, you need some weight. Put the bed on!!! You won't want to drive it like that.

eggblade1 07-13-2009 06:58 PM

were custom building the flatbed. it will be pretty heavy. Steel has been ordered and we hope it'll be done in the next couple weeks. We figured we'd paint the cab and put on suspension before putting on the bed.

It'll be similar to the All-Pro flatbeds here

on top of that im gonna be carryin my dirtbike everywhere I go so I'm sure there will be enough weight :)

Back to the problem, can you be SURE that a bit longer shackles would fix it or should I keep waiting for a better answer. On top of that, can some1 link me to a shackle you think would fix it?

jason191918 07-13-2009 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by slacker (Post 51182015)
I hope you own a kidney belt ? because you are in for a "rough ride" ..

:lol::lol::lol:

dropzone 07-13-2009 07:20 PM

springs will settle somewhat too when you get that bed on there.

one other thing to consider: did you mount the springs in the correct position?
from what I recall: for use in stock mounting locations: front springs are about 45" Eye to Eye, rear springs are about 47-48"ish eye to eye.

how is your front shackle angle?

Hayes 07-13-2009 07:23 PM

unload the rear springs and use a pry bar to...encourage...the shackles back. Mine did the same thing when I installed the rear springs. A little pry bar loving and they flipped right around.

4Crawler 07-13-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by eggblade1 (Post 51182136)
Back to the problem, can you be SURE that a bit longer shackles would fix it or should I keep waiting for a better answer. On top of that, can some1 link me to a shackle you think would fix it?

Weight will help to flatten out the springs, pry the shackle off the frame and load up the back and see what it looks like.

And for shackle length, take a few measurements then see below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Applications

eggblade1 07-13-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone (Post 51182152)
springs will settle somewhat too when you get that bed on there.

one other thing to consider: did you mount the springs in the correct position?
from what I recall: for use in stock mounting locations: front springs are about 45" Eye to Eye, rear springs are about 47-48"ish eye to eye.

how is your front shackle angle?

Good question, never even thought about front shackles. The fronts are straight down and look "ok". they look like they would flex outwards as normal.

I measured the rear springs eye to eye and they were about 43-44" while attached to the frame... that mean they sent me ed up rears?

my front springs are just as long as my rears... fronts measured 44"...

Ardent 07-13-2009 07:33 PM

Either what they said or 1- you have them rear forward or 2 they're too short. Might want to check the part #s. When I went to install my rear leafs they did the same thing, turns out 4WP ordered me the wrong leafs that were too short.

eggblade1 07-13-2009 07:52 PM

ok, not sure how to be sure which part it is. no labels on the actual spring.

I used a jack to the frame to remove the small ammount of weight that was on the springs and even then they wont go all the way back.

The shackle on the other side of the truck is weird to, its not all the way to the frame but it is angled forward. the exaust pipe is the only thing keeping it from calapsing to the frame (like how the picture shows).

I think it is a bad spring. I'm gonna remove it, :( , measure again and contact Rough Country.

anyone want to double check the length for me of the rear springs eye to eye. just to make sure it is suposed to be 47-48"ish...

4Crawler 07-13-2009 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by eggblade1 (Post 51182164)
Good question, never even thought about front shackles. The fronts are straight down and look "ok". they look like they would flex outwards as normal.

I measured the rear springs eye to eye and they were about 43-44" while attached to the frame... that mean they sent me ed up rears?

my front springs are just as long as my rears... fronts measured 44"...

You are likely measuring eye-eye (chord length) straight across the springs, correct? Proper way to measure is along the arc of the spring, then you should find the fronts are closer to 45" and the rears are about 47":
- http://4x4spot.com/misc__spring_information.htm

eggblade1 07-13-2009 08:02 PM

ah, ty for the clarification. following it on the ark I get 47-48". BUT we still need to get the shackles where they should be.

ajoebob 07-13-2009 08:20 PM

my 5" skyjacker was the same way. i have a flatbed that is around 300# on it and it didnt help much even with longer shakles. they used to flop the wrong way and hit the frame. i keep a bar in my truck to pull it back right. after i used them for hard a few times they setled down some but the shakles are still streat up and down but they wount go the wrong way any more. and the springs are very stiff so dont exspect a smoth ride.

desertcamper67 07-13-2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes (Post 51182157)
unload the rear springs and use a pry bar to...encourage...the shackles back. Mine did the same thing when I installed the rear springs. A little pry bar loving and they flipped right around.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler (Post 51182159)
Weight will help to flatten out the springs, pry the shackle off the frame and load up the back and see what it looks like.

And for shackle length, take a few measurements then see below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Applications

With the shackle pried back into the correct position and some weight in the back the spring will start to flatten out. Once it settles some it probably won't invert the shackle anymore. Its going to take some weight or cinching down of the suspension to speed up the normal settling process.

eggblade1 07-13-2009 08:44 PM

ok, I'll wait a while and get my bed before I try this again. BUT...

if anyone has a solution they think will work please post it, I will be looking.

Al's Chop Shop 07-15-2009 05:31 PM

did you use a large pry bar? you will want to lift the truck, then pry like mad while the weight is slowly reapplied.

Al

eggblade1 07-15-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Al's Chop Shop (Post 51183504)
did you use a large pry bar? you will want to lift the truck, then pry like mad while the weight is slowly reapplied.

Al

I pryed pretty good and got it like this. could pry more I guess but that seems to be the full extension of the springs. prying more would be pulling the springs.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8845/truckkkkk.jpg

Originally Posted by desertcamper67 (Post 51182221)
With the shackle pried back into the correct position and some weight in the back the spring will start to flatten out. Once it settles some it probably won't invert the shackle anymore. Its going to take some weight or cinching down of the suspension to speed up the normal settling process.

ok. unfortunatly I wont be getting my bed soon. Im gonna pry it more and try and get something on there.