Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Supercharged 82 oil explosion, lost compression.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah those are toast! That mother got HOT! so your cylinders are probably toast as well. Will need to be bored and honed. Oversized pistons. Check the crank shaft bearing journals. These motors like to spin rod bearings when they get hot. New rod bearings are in order. Hopefully you didn't spin a bearing and score the journals because then you need a new crank.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
Yeah those are toast! That mother got HOT! so your cylinders are probably toast as well. Will need to be bored and honed. Oversized pistons. Check the crank shaft bearing journals. These motors like to spin rod bearings when they get hot. New rod bearings are in order. Hopefully you didn't spin a bearing and score the journals because then you need a new crank.
so do I take it to a machine shop first... or order new pistons first....
well I guess pull the crank shaft to check that first...
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 PM

You have the pistons out so you should be able to inspect the crank, the journal is the smooth area where the piston caps to the crank, the rod bearings are the 2 piece sleeve that goes between piston arm/cap and the crank. Both the bearings and the journals should be completely smooth and not dis-colored. Like when metel gets hot and starts turning color, you don't want that, especially on the crank. The crank can be turned and use over sized rod bearings but it's not as good as a new/ good oem crank.
if you have an inside dial micrometer you can gauge the bore, then buy pistons that are large enough to take up any gouges that may exist in the cylinder, if you can catch a finger nail on a scratch is probably .20 thousandths. Better to go a little bigger then have to go and buy another set of pistons that weren't quite big enough. If you don't have a dial mic a machine shop will. Buy the pistons before you have it bore honed so they can set match the pistons in the cylinders. Yotashop is good, I've dealt with them and never had a problem.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Hey thanks a million man... I've never gone this far into a motor before... an working alone I'm really bad with part names... so I'm coming along.... I think I'm thinking just cast pistons. Or maybe some Keith knight pistons?.....
trying to find better rings though... I wanna put the supercharger back on this motor... the non toyota advice I get around here is I need rings that can handle Supercharger.... everything on toyotas seems to say forged pistons are a wast of money...
Old 05-25-2017, 07:53 PM

Yes those are the journal and rod bearings, the bearings will pop out of the cap and rod. Just keep the caps going to the same rod, they are precision ground to match. And yes you need high comp. Pistons and rings, the rings have a bit larger gap to facilitate the extra heat produced by a super. That's why you blew apart those rings, they got so hot they expanded to the point the touched and had no where to go but out. Lol. Good luck with your project, keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Alright boys and girls.... finally got my block bored 40 over and decked.... wahoo
Ive got dnj turbo pistons and rings..... ( yep, dont know how thats gonna work out... )

so as much as I dont wanna give lc more money.....
I think i need these
oil pump http://www.lceperformance.com/Pro-Oi...-p/1016069.htm
gasket kit http://www.lceperformance.com/Head-G...-p/1024045.htm

any recommendations on different gasket kit.. or maybe a better head gasket...
Do i spend the money on arp studs? after all Idk what the ˟˟˟˟ Im doing...

So question I have... theres 5 main bearing caps, shouldnt I have 10 main bearings? and if i no longer have those... uh
do I buy these http://www.lceperformance.com/Main-B...-p/1013081.htm

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I emerge on this journey
thx yall