Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

STOCK wrangler YJ springs on front of pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STOCK wrangler YJ springs on front of pickup.

I've got this posted on another forum, but it's not getting any action...

Basically, I have a nice stock 82 pickup with a collapsed or broken PS front spring and a complete set of stock height YJ springs that I intend to utilize in place of my worn out front springs.

There is not a lot of info on a stockish height swap - most everything I could find is using lift springs, moving the axle, hi-steer, etc. I am not looking to turn this thing into a crawler, but I would not be opposed to gaining an inch or so of lift. I do not want to move the axle - I understand I can redrill the spring perch - and I do not want to change steering.

Has anyone run a completely stock YJ rear leaf pack? I don't mind mixing and matching leaves between the 4 YJ packs (2 front and 2 rear), but I would like to avoid taking this thing apart ten times to get the right combo.

Anyone have pictures if they have done it? I have searched all the various sites and not come up with anything regarding stock spring packs.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
lets start with the basics.

What kind of vehicle is this? My crystal ball is in the shop.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HighLux
lets start with the basics.

What kind of vehicle is this? My crystal ball is in the shop.
Originally Posted by Farmhouse
Basically, I have a nice stock 82 pickup

Don't you feel like an ass?

Last edited by strykersd; 11-25-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Don't you feel like an ass?
Sweet you just inherited this mess now....its all yours champ...
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What a cop out...
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
What a cop out...
Ok. Ill let the guy know whats up. Nice of you to weasel in as usual and take a shot. Rather than take cheap cowardly shots....perhaps actually helping would be more in the Yotatech spirit.

Original poster:

Buy a new leaf or find a used one. The price of a used one makes this a total waste of time if all you are hoping to achieve is a stock ride height.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know who would know? I've seen the swap done a few times over at Pirate4x4.com and they are very knowledgeable, but if they think you want to be spoonfed information, they will rip you a new one.

Here's a link I save in my favorites when I do leaf springs swaps
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ing-bible.html

And a few results form a quick google search
http://www.4x4spot.com/yj_springs_under_a_toy.htm
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=43015.0

Check with Samurai forums to find information like spring rate and the such since they often times swap toyota and yj springs onto their rigs.

Myself I would probably sell the YJ leaf springs and just buy a new one. The time and energy you'd spend modifying and guessing/checking would make me wish I just bought them.

Last edited by strykersd; 11-25-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok. Ill let the guy know whats up. Nice of you to weasel in as usual and take a shot. Rather than take cheap cowardly shots....perhaps actually helping would be more in the Yotatech spirit.
Ok Martha...
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM

I have been googling for 2 days now and I have seen all those links, but again most address lift springs that yield 5+ inches. I figured pirate would be the place for info but I can't figure out how to search, it only goes back a couple pages, and there is no point in posting.

I figured someone on here would have tried it with stock YJ springs or known someone that tried it and might have some info for me. Appears maybe I was wrong...

If I could find a used one that I didn't have to ship I would go that route, but so far I have YJ springs in hand and have not been able to find a Toyota spring.

The samurai forum bit is good info and I will head over there now.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 AM

I guess what I am going for in the long run is a "sleeper" type build. Not a lot of lift with good offroad performance. I have had lift springs on multiple vehicles and was not crazy about them.

I was thinking I would use the complete YJ rear pack with cut down main leafs from the YJ fronts and maybe one other medium length leaf from the front pack. I'm shooting for, at most, 2 inches over stock height with a decent ride - though anything would be better than my current ride.

Last edited by Farmhouse; 11-26-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114.../#post51088249

What is the YJ spring length eye to eye?
I thing stock toy front springs is 45"
there is a spring length comparison chart in my mini FAQ in my sig and a sticky in this folder...
edit:
Link on top

Last edited by dropzone; 11-26-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 AM

My concern would be spring length, as mentioned above by DZ, as well as spring diameter. I remember seeing that Toyota runs wider-than-common leaves for vehicles of their size (something all their cars inherited from their early days of making 2-ton trucks)
Another concern would be spring rate - if you're just building up the R/H, would the heep spring have a different spring rate than the L/H?

There are sensible springs out there if you look, not everybody wants to gain 85 feet of lift and a mile and a half of axle droop. I know Old Man Emu offers springs that start at 2" of gain (which is almost negligible when they settle in). Skycracker lifts with OEM shackles and no blocks in the rear equates to about the same as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM

YJ springs are ~45 in long (maybe a little more) but the spring rate is supposedly less than a toyota spring which is why I plan to make packs using front YJ leaves. I haven't been able to find spring capacity on the Toyota leaves, but the YJ rears are 765 according to Mr. Ns big spring chart.

anyone know capacity on pickup springs? The spring rate calculator on ranger station isn't working...

I realize I could buy a lift spring, but I don't like buying stuff... I like figuring things out even if it means more work.

Maybe I will be the first person on Yotatech to swap in a "stock" YJ spring pack.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Okee doke, sounds like an interesting mission.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
YJ springs are 2.5 " wide. Toyota springs are 2.375" wide. Might be tight getting into the front spring hanger but doable.
to the best of my knowledge Toy mini trucks are considered 1/2 tons, biased towards the rear..
Old 11-27-2013, 03:59 AM

That is correct. I think with a bit of grinding on the bushings and a slight mount of bending they should fit.

I may have found a set of cheap light front springs local so this may all be put on hold.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:53 AM

If you have no desire to upgrade you're steering, or anything else, then why take the time to swap over to Wrangler springs? They are wider than Toyota springs, you will need to replace youre spring hangers. There is a good amount of fab work involved. For not wanting to modify youre truck, this makes no sense. Is it a good mod? Yes.

And yeah, you will get hammered over on Pirate4x4 if you ask these kind of questions. They are a ruff crowd. I'm a moderator over there, so I see it every day.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dog walker
If you have no desire to upgrade you're steering, or anything else, then why take the time to swap over to Wrangler springs? They are wider than Toyota springs, you will need to replace youre spring hangers. There is a good amount of fab work involved. For not wanting to modify youre truck, this makes no sense. Is it a good mod? Yes.

And yeah, you will get hammered over on Pirate4x4 if you ask these kind of questions. They are a ruff crowd. I'm a moderator over there, so I see it every day.
I didn't say I never wanted to modify my truck - I love modifying stuff. I said I wasn't trying to build a crawler or hardcore off road rig, but I am all for modifying things if it makes the total driving experience safer and/or more enjoyable. If I can accomplish a stockish or low lift on springs that ride/handle better than a stock and give me better off road performance then I am all for it. Eventually I will probably end up with power steering and crossover, but for now I love not having power steering.

Fab work is not a problem. I guess maybe my original question should have been more along the lines of "Would stock or mixed pack YJ springs be an overall improvement in on and offroad driving? Does anyone have any experience with how the springs last in the front of a pickup? Or any advice on what leaves to put in the rear pack from the front pack?"

I'm not looking to be "spoonfed" information, but I am trying to get real life reports of how these springs perform from someone who has actually done it.

You say "Yes, it is a good mod." This is the type of thing I am looking for. Could you elaborate?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Its not a good mod. Its a terrible idea. Use a dang used stock spring and go down the road. You are trying to reinvent a wheel that has been reinvented a thousand times.

This is the one time you let your engineering brain go. No reason to fiddle with all the extra work. Put your efforts towards cold fusion or something.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Its not a good mod. Its a terrible idea. Use a dang used stock spring and go down the road. You are trying to reinvent a wheel that has been reinvented a thousand times.

This is the one time you let your engineering brain go. No reason to fiddle with all the extra work. Put your efforts towards cold fusion or something.
Haha. Ok, ok. I get it. I'll try to let it go.

Brian

Quick Reply: STOCK wrangler YJ springs on front of pickup.