YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Removing Steering Box (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/removing-steering-box-303431/)

GodwinAustin 02-12-2018 11:42 AM

Removing Steering Box

Hi guys getting ready to send my manual steering box from 82 4wd pickup off to West Texas Off Road for a rebuild. Is there anything to know before going into this job? I suppose the crux is removing the pittman arm from the box, for which I will have to rent a puller from Napa or something? Is everything else just unbolt and remove? Does a writeup exist anywhere?

GodwinAustin 02-12-2018 12:15 PM

Also wondering what type of Pitman puller I need as I may just buy one if its cheap enough

dropzone 02-12-2018 03:48 PM

-3 bolts on the frame
-2 bolts for the rag joint for the steering shaft
-pull the draglink off the pitman arm
-pull the box, take to the rental place of your choice and match the pitman arm puller needed (i bought one from harbor freight for about $15 and have used it a few times)

GodwinAustin 02-12-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 52390299)
-3 bolts on the frame
-2 bolts for the rag joint for the steering shaft
-pull the draglink off the pitman arm
-pull the box, take to the rental place of your choice and match the pitman arm puller needed (i bought one from harbor freight for about $15 and have used it a few times)

thanks Dropzone...do I need to mark anything beforehand for alignment purposes when re-installing the steering box?

dropzone 02-12-2018 05:17 PM

it would be a good idea to mark the pitman arm across the shaft before you remove it from the steering box.
However more than likely you are going to need an alignment after having the box rebuilt

medicmoose 02-17-2018 06:55 AM

I removed my pitman arm with the steering box still in place. Used a torch to heat up the arm where it attaches to the box and with a puller it eventually gave e up the fight and popped off.

akwheeler 02-17-2018 07:13 AM

if yours has a drag link from the steering box to the left front knuckle (I'm pretty sure 1982s all do) you won't effect your alignment in any way except centering of the steering wheel.

GodwinAustin 04-29-2018 08:36 AM

Hey guys, just about to do this and good news is the steering box I got has the Pitman arm already on it, so I guess that means I dont need to pull it!

One other question, I see on the new box where the pitman attaches to the drag link is a kind of steel ball, how do I separate the drag link from the pitman on the existing box? Do I just hammer it out from the inside or?

GodwinAustin 04-29-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin (Post 52397190)
One other question, I see on the new box where the pitman attaches to the drag link is a kind of steel ball, how do I separate the drag link from the pitman on the existing box? Do I just hammer it out from the inside or?

This was what I was looking for...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fig...nk-end.929081/

GodwinAustin 04-29-2018 02:25 PM

ok so i have the cap, spring, and ball stud retainer piece removed (the first 4 pieces in the photo below), but still cannot remove the Pitman arm from the drag link, where the pitman ball stud enters the link...do i need to do something like moving the steering or drag link itself to to release the ball stud from where it enters the link? (this is not my picture ) Maybe use a pry bar in between the link and the pitman arm?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...74ac6f62fe.jpg

akwheeler 04-29-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin (Post 52397213)
ok so i have the cap, spring, and ball stud retainer piece removed (the first 4 pieces in the photo below), but still cannot remove the Pitman arm from the drag link, where the pitman ball stud enters the link...do i need to do something like move the steering or drag link arm to release the ball stud from where it enters the link? (this is not my picture )

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...74ac6f62fe.jpg

If you look closely the picture shows there is a slot with a wider spot where the ball will fit through. if it is seized up you may have to tap on the end with a deadblow or a chunk of wood and a hammer in order to release the cups that hold the ball in place so it can slide along far enough to come out

GodwinAustin 04-29-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler (Post 52397220)
If you look closely the picture shows there is a slot with a wider spot where the ball will fit through. if it is seized up you may have to tap on the end with a deadblow or a chunk of wood and a hammer in order to release the cups that hold the ball in place so it can slide along far enough to come out

Does it slide left toward the cap (also left in the picture) to release or to the right? Also whats the best way to slide the drag link either way to release the ball? The a hammer on the end as you mentioned or should I be able to move it with the steering wheel?

akwheeler 04-29-2018 07:25 PM

you move the ball toward the end you took the cap and spring out of, the cap and spring give the steering a little give the pin down the center keeps the ball from moving far enough to come out,

GodwinAustin 04-30-2018 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler (Post 52397235)
you move the ball toward the end you took the cap and spring out of, the cap and spring give the steering a little give the pin down the center keeps the ball from moving far enough to come out,

Do I need both wheels free to move the drag link? Right now I only have the drivers side wheel off the ground,,,

akwheeler 04-30-2018 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin (Post 52397253)
Do I need both wheels free to move the drag link? Right now I only have the drivers side wheel off the ground,,,

it sure would help, or you can try turning the steering wheel while both tires are on the ground (left if I remember correctly)

GodwinAustin 04-30-2018 08:15 AM

ok...got her off...turned the wheel left and the ball stud popped out! Thanks AK!

now how do i get the steering shaft off ? its that ridged spline on the box with a groove in the middle that connects to the rag joint on the steering shaft...should i just pry it off there or? also looks like only one bolt holding the collar on the spline...not two

akwheeler 04-30-2018 08:41 AM

I give up, try a torch, maybe I'm wrong about the slot.

akwheeler 04-30-2018 08:51 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...54c6ea0ea9.png

GodwinAustin 04-30-2018 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler (Post 52397272)
I give up, try a torch, maybe I'm wrong about the slot.

No you were spot on, got the drag link off, but now Im trying to figure out how to get the splined steering column shaft off the box, held on with a collar, with a bolt (removed) holding the collar to the spline

akwheeler 04-30-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin (Post 52397323)
No you were spot on, got the drag link off, but now Im trying to figure out how to get the splined steering column shaft off the box, held on with a collar, with a bolt (removed) holding the collar to the spline

remove the bolt, not just loosen, remove. then work the collar off of the splined shaft, it may help to lightly tap a chisel into the slot to spread it slightly. don't get all King Kong with it or you will break it. It may also help to unbolt the steering box from the frame to get the last little bit.