YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Picking up and 81 22R Toyota Pickup 2WD (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/picking-up-81-22r-toyota-pickup-2wd-126379/)

4RunnerN00B 10-05-2007 05:34 AM

Picking up and 81 22R Toyota Pickup 2WD

Hey guys,

Well im going to be the owner of a 81 truck 2wd . The only problem is that it has a small exhasut leak. Im not really worried about it. I can always just buy a gasket ans put it in or just buy some new headers for it.

Ive owned a 3.0 95 runner and that ... well....... lets just leave it at that :)

I cant wait to fix up the engine and add my personal touches to the truck.
even though its only 2wd, which I dont mind. Personally I love the whole Baja truck look better than the rock crawlers.

Im wondering is there anything I should Do FIRST and is there anything that I should really know about the engine. bad things. good things?

thanks guys

LATER!

rowdy235 10-05-2007 08:59 AM

I would say run a compression test. 22R's can seem to run good on very low compression. Do a tune up by replacing filters, oil, etc. and adjust the valves, its an easy task.

Glad to see somebody else has a similar truck :)

4RunnerN00B 10-05-2007 11:08 AM

He said it has a bradnew headgasket, new alternator.

has 189k ... Do you think if I take it to toyota to get a tune up they will make sure the carb is working okay?

Also it has an exhaust leak. But im planning on getting headers for it. So with a new gasket it should be fine.

rowdy235 10-05-2007 04:07 PM

189k..... pssst... just getting broke in. Mine has 338k. I tend to stay away from my toyota dealer, just because its like 50 miles away. Any reputable shop should be able to do a tune-up. But the kind of tune up you do with a new (used) vehicle is really just inspecting ignition parts, replacing, valve adj, etc.

Just me, but I wouldn't pay a shop to do it, much less at dealer labor cost. I would take it to a shop and have them "inspect" it, usually doesn't cost much, mine was $30 and included topping-off all the fluids. Then, if he tells you something is worn, go and replace it. In my case i needed a new rotor, dist. cap, plug wires, and plugs. All-in-all with inspection it was around $50. Thats less than an hour labor at the dealer.

Hope this Helps and enjoy your ride. We want pics :)

4RunnerN00B 10-06-2007 01:57 AM

Ya man I probably will do all that kind of tune up myself. I really can wait to just start working on the 22R . I do know that it needs a new exhaust gasket. Cuz there is an exhaust leak. Is that hard to do? I went to pepboys and a new FelPro gasket is only like 17 bucks. haahaha so cheap.

I will post pictures for all to see this monday.. Im going to pick it up this sunday.

rowdy235 10-06-2007 08:22 AM

I redid my exhaust gasket in less than 20 min. But then again I don't have cruise, PS, etc. Really depends on what accessories you have. But worst case scenario I'd say an hour, and pretty darn easy.