Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Are our trucks good "Doomsday Trucks"??

Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Are our trucks good "Doomsday Trucks"??

I've got two '82 trucks (one 4x4 and one 4x2) and I've wondered lately that if there were an EMP attack on this country, how would I fare?

I've stripped both of these trucks down to the bare minimum as far as emissions/electronics and basically if I have fuel and spark that 22R is running. I think the weakest link in my trucks (in reference to an EMP attack) is probably the ignitor/coil assembly. Secondary would be the alternator and voltage regulator, and finally the battery itself.

I've considered picking up a couple spare ignitor/coil assemblies and storing them in a Faraday cage (old microwave would work) just in case.

So, fellow first gen'ers, put on your tin foil hats and lets discuss.

What say you??
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM

I believe circuit boards are the main issue, so the ECU of newer cars gets fried. Your carb, alternator, starter, battery etc. etc. do not have sensitive circuit boards so absolutely you would be good to go. But you would also be a huge target. If an EMP ever happened, people would start to think, who do I know with a carb'd vehicle, and they would be coming for it.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You better get a bigger fuel tank because I don't know about your first gen, but mine only does about 240 miles a tank if I am lucky.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM

There's no vehicle I'd rather have in a SHTF situation than my Yota. I keep a bug-out bag in my truck all the time. You never know!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Glad im not the only one thinking bout this stuff. I love my yota and have been working on it and setting it up as a expedition / bug out rig
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
With my two cats, guns, gear and keys in hand I would have a very tough time deciding on which rig to bug out in. I think I would get farther and deeper in the back country or wherever I was headed in my 94 22re but as far as being able to fix on the fly I think my 82 would be better. Thats a tough call. Hopefully I won't ever have to make that decision.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by MB4runner
I believe circuit boards are the main issue, so the ECU of newer cars gets fried. Your carb, alternator, starter, battery etc. etc. do not have sensitive circuit boards so absolutely you would be good to go. But you would also be a huge target. If an EMP ever happened, people would start to think, who do I know with a carb'd vehicle, and they would be coming for it.
And they would be in for one RUDE awakening. Some of us here in God's country are armed to the teeth!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by SCToy
You better get a bigger fuel tank because I don't know about your first gen, but mine only does about 240 miles a tank if I am lucky.
I've got a nice siphon hose. There will be plenty of gas in all the "fried" vehicles.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
A BOV that could run multiple fuel types would be the most advantageous. I could be wrong but I think an EMP would only affect electronics that are powered (on) when the EMP hits.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 AM

The diesel '79 will sure run good. All I need is a tank of home heating oil, jet fuel or mcdonalds to keep going
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by gsb15
The diesel '79 will sure run good. All I need is a tank of home heating oil, jet fuel or mcdonalds to keep going
Awesome
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 AM
RBX

That's what I'm talking about
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Electro-Magentism could also come from the Sun, in the form of solar flares. Look at what happened in the 1800's when telegraph lines burnt up from a CME. We all know that the sun is doing strange things to the weather lately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
http://solar.physics.montana.edu/pre...31099-idx.html

I think it's a great idea to have a well prepped Toyota truck, for any kind of emergency. The early trucks w/ carb might be better since they are simpler, but you have to remember that fuel will be limited if the local gas pumps fry! It's good to get to know the local stores and make friends w/ the owners, so you can make deals if something like that happens (hand pump the fuel out!). All I can say is that if you are in the city or large populated areas, forget it, there will be mass chaos and fighting over fuel, and vehicles that are operative.

Probably be a good idea to keep a spare ignition set-up inside an ammo can, or the cheap faraday "microwave" box. Using one of the GM HEI conversions could be a cheaper alternative if one doesn't have Toyota OEM. Keep a wiring diagram printed out, a fresh GM HEI unit and new coil in a "wiring kit".

I think the diesel option is the best for ultimate doomsday situations, especially if its setup w/ a secondary heated tank for fry grease.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM

This is my new favorite thread. Bring on the nukes and zombies!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 PM
RBX

Nuke attack would be aweful, contamination is no joke, and you may never know you are driving into it.
The reality that something would hit the entire US is less likely then an attack on a major metropolitan area. When that happens looting occupies the masses before they turn on each other, so there is little time to get out of an escalatingly dangerous situation.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Nuke attack would be aweful, contamination is no joke, and you may never know you are driving into it.
The reality that something would hit the entire US is less likely then an attack on a major metropolitan area. When that happens looting occupies the masses before they turn on each other, so there is little time to get out of an escalatingly dangerous situation.
I agree about an "attack" on major areas as opposed to the whole country, albeit the whole country is under economic attack by way of wealth transfer mechanisms/policies. If you are away from city looters, another thing to consider is the other kind of zombies, dressed in suits and declaring they are the "government" or "authorities".

But maybe we should get back on topic discussing the trucks so we don't get reprimanded here!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
RBX

^^^ right!
So what type of tires would be recommended, I'm thinking a brand that is more puncture resistant. Run flats on a BOV are not an option.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Cars, even EFI cars, with all their modern computers and such would most likely survive an EMP attack as they are allready Faraday boxes as they are, with the rubber on the tires providing a useful ground.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html
It also goes on to say that maybe the computers would be knocked out, maybe not. No one really knows. If any truck it to survive the EMP I think it would be our Yotas, wouldn't be a bad idea to have some spares in a faraday box though.

As was said before our tiny fuel tanks would be our biggest limiting factor. Sure, you can siphon, but remember that there are many desperate people out there looking to save themselves. Each time you stop you're vulnerable. I think the best bet would be to have an inverter hooked to a diamond blade angle grinder so you can just cut the straps on a tank and throw it in the back of your truck.

4wd capability is the biggest strong point as I think most of the roads would be jammed with cars and there would probably be all sorts of stuck 2wds on the sides.

The upside of the major metropolitan areas being targeted first is that those are some of the least armed people. I feel like it's all the country folk that have the arsenals and ability to make their own bullets, etc.

If it's an external attack from another country I feel like people would band together, share the arms and it wouldn't be every man for himself, at first at least. If it was zombies I think people might get more selfish in that scenario. Best bet would be to just get away from high population densities. Get into the woods, live off the land for a bit and wait for them to run out of food or get to a boat, hang out a little offshore and make raids for food every now and then.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 AM
RBX

Note to self, put bolt cutters in rig.
Inverter, already installed jut need to remeber to pack the grinder and sawzall.
Need to get an electric fuel pump to run off the inverter to make siphoning tank quicker.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
Nuke attack would be aweful, contamination is no joke, and you may never know you are driving into it...
that's why you put a geiger-counter on the front-end of your truck. along with a whole host of sensors, so you know what's out there

sub'd. if nothing else, i'll get some good expedition info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are our trucks good "Doomsday Trucks"??