Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Oil & Volt Gauge Hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Oil & Volt Gauge Hook-up

I'm getting the oil & volt gauges for my truck next week. I did the SR5 cluster swap a bit ago but didn't get that separte cluster until now. How does it hook up? What gauge wires should I use & where do they plug in?

Last edited by 83; 12-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up some pro comp ultra lite auto meter's at summit racing. they came with relatively decent instructions. I only had to switch out the oil sensor and I think I remember doing some soldering on the interior connections, used the old wiring. Pretty straight forward operation, took an hour or two.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 AM

Ok, thanks Jason. Maybe I'll just look up instructions on installing aftermarket gauges if nobody has an info for me here.

I just figure they go through my main instrument cluster, because I think I still have the idiot light for oil pressure in that cluster, along with the separate gauge, so it seems like the sending unit has got to attach to both. A guy on here sent me a couple pages dealing with the gauge cluster out of the FSM, so I'll see if that helps, but it's mostly wiring diagrams which I don't follow too well.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

So yours didn't have the lower cluster before (under the center vents)? I only replaced the old ones in my lower cluster. The plugs were under the carpet. if you are adding that cluster it still should be as easy as getting a wire through the firewall somewhere. Or track down the old wire to the cluster. If I remember correctly both grounded inside the cab and the other wire to the sending unit. The oil pressure sender is under the oil filter on the side of the block. I had to replace the old sender because the new guage spoke a different language. That being said if you are also connecting the cluster guage you may run into an issue there too (or not). As far as the volt meter I am not certain where the positive wire connects. I'll have to take a look under the hood when there's daylight. I'll get back with you on that.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM

Thank you that would be great.

No my truck didn't come with those gauges, so I've got nothing to go on. I switched out the sending unit already when I put the new SR5 cluster in. On a side note, my sending unit was screwed into a spot behind (towards the cab) of the oil filter...not sure if it matters. There is a plug under the filter, too, but I double checked my photos and I'm almost positive mine was behind the filter before the block went to the shop.

Anyways, any tracing of wires to grounds and other contacts would really help me out. Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Looks like the cluster is meant to just plug into a wiring harness. Not sure if my truck will have that harness or not since it didn't come with the cluster. I'll have to look. There is a plug for each gauge, each with 4 wires running into it from the gauge. I'll have to see if I can find what color wires do what and then hook it up if I don't have the plugs there from the factory.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah mine of course already had the plugs coming through up under the carpet in front of the shifter. When I replaced the oil pressure gauge it came with a sender. It looks like a small canister and screws into the hole directly under the oil filter on the block. It has tapered threads so it seems like it doesn't want to screw in but it will. Use some Teflon tape around the thread or some thread-lock. Also watch out for the electric connection on the starter when putting in the sender, I arced across my wrench so a disconnect of the battery might be wise. I do remember that the plug had room for 4 connectors but it seems like there were actually only 2 to solder into the old plug (I reused the plugs from the old gauges). You'll be really set if you find that your truck is already wired up for the gauges. I'm having a hard time tracing the volt gauge without tearing the dash out of my truck but if I figure it out I'll let you know.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM

Ok, thanks a lot. Yeah, if you're wires are obvious coming up out in front of the shifters, than I don't have them. I looked over the FSM page which shows the wiring diagram for these gauges. Problem is I don't really get it...There are 4 wires for each, seems like 2 for the info (maybe ground & a positive? I don't know I'm even more of newbie when it comes to electrical basics) and 2 for the illumination. If that makes sense, then all I need to do is connect the oil wire to the sending unit and a ground, and the illumination to a hot wire & a ground. Same with volts. Don't bother spending too much time tracing wires for me, I appreciate you looking already, and since I don't have the harness I'll end up with a different set up than you.

Now I think I just need some basic electrical 101 teaching here. If (and you or anyone please correct me if my basic premise here is off) each gauge has two +'s and two -'s (two wires for illumination and two for the gauge to work), what on the wiring diagram will show me which is the + and which is the -? Then, grounds, ok, pretty obvious what to do with them, but as far as wiring the + into the "key on", so I'm hooked into the dash lights & dimmer switch, what do I do? Do I find a wire and cut it, then attach my gauge illumination wires to it? I guess I don't know exactly how to tie into that, as far finding a "key on" wire or whatever, and then how to attach my wires to it. Get what I'm saying? Hopefully if you don't know auto electrical 101 someone reading this will...sorry I just don't really even know the basics but I figure it can't be that hard once you kind of get it.

Last edited by 83; 12-05-2008 at 11:40 AM.