Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Newb Lift Questions: 1980 4x4 Long Bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb Lift Questions: 1980 4x4 Long Bed

I HATE to beat a dead horse but there is just so much info out there...any info/guidance appreciated!

I'm looking for a small 1-3" lift/level for my truck, I definitely want to level it out a bit in the process...perhaps around 2-3" up front and 1-2" in the rear or just do the front and call it a day? I'm looking for reasonably priced options that don't require major modifications during installation. If I could soften up the ride in the process that would be ideal as this will see the street mostly with occasional light trail use. So if there is a "go-to" for this amount of desired lift please let me know. I know all trucks respond slightly differently to lifts I just want to do my due diligence before making a choice.
Thanks a lot!

The truck for reference:
Newb Lift Questions: 1980 4x4 Long Bed-ot6r4c2.jpg
Newb Lift Questions: 1980 4x4 Long Bed-xhhv9hn.jpg
Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone has different opinions on lifts. On my 80, the fronts were so sagged the oil pan was on the front end. I bought Pro comp front spring packs and rear add a leafs from amazon for $150. Had a local shop make u bolts for me.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Everyone has different opinions on lifts. On my 80, the fronts were so sagged the oil pan was on the front end. I bought Pro comp front spring packs and rear add a leafs from amazon for $150. Had a local shop make u bolts for me.
Do you know approx. what amount of lift was attained Front and Rear? How is the ride? I love this simple approach...how do I know which/what to order? I admittedly know very little about leaf springs.
Thanks a lot.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fronts came up to stock height and the add a leaf for the rear didn't really add a lot, just a little boost. I'll see if I can find part numbers for you to look for
Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 AM

Any more feedback here? Looking to buy parts ASAP. Leaning towards new springs up front with 1.5-2" max lift over stock then after installing those going with blocks or add-a-leafs rear to level as closely as I possibly can. Any tips on "best" places to get springs and accompanying part #'s would great. Also, affordable extended shock options?
Thanks again to all.
Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
helps to know what sort of budget you are thinking.
OME has complete kits that ride nice
found this
http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-em...ta-pickup.html

Last edited by dropzone; 09-04-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
helps to know what sort of budget you are thinking.
OME has complete kits that ride nice
found this
http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-em...ta-pickup.html
Great question. I'm honestly torn between going a little higher end and going the bargain basement route. I would love to go with OME and it's on my radar but I'm slightly leaning towards going with cheaper route. Highly considering the 3" Pro Comp springs up front and add-a-leafs in the back. As I learned a while back with my Titan actually getting it level like I want may be challenging(from what I've read) since all trucks seem to "respond" differently. Thinking about doing the front before even buying anything for the rear. Fwiw the rear springs are damn near straight and the fronts are quite arched currently.
Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have heard pro comps ride rough, not that any leaf spring truck is gonna have a BMW type ride.
add a leaf is just a band aid. Your truck is approaching 40. Do new springs all the way around.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MarkH1121
Great question. I'm honestly torn between going a little higher end and going the bargain basement route. I would love to go with OME and it's on my radar but I'm slightly leaning towards going with cheaper route. Highly considering the 3" Pro Comp springs up front and add-a-leafs in the back. As I learned a while back with my Titan actually getting it level like I want may be challenging(from what I've read) since all trucks seem to "respond" differently. Thinking about doing the front before even buying anything for the rear. Fwiw the rear springs are damn near straight and the fronts are quite arched currently.
Thanks again.
Nice truck!

I have to ask, what did you end up going with, and final pics?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on what you want to do and your skill level. If you can weld the chevy 63 inch springs do add a lot of flex and ride soft depending on what springs you use.