Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Is my starter going out? Recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
We got a harbor freight in a town I live in off & on. I went once, never went back. I suppose if you're careful, and know which junk tools/supplies will still do the job and which won't, you can safely shop there. But pretty much everything they carry is junk. Waste of materials and labor, destined to add to already overflowing landfills after one or two uses. Oh well.

Having a rebuilt starter is good! I had replaced my starter and later realized the problem was actually an aftermarket floor mat keeping the clutch from being fully depressed. Truck won't start unless it's down far enough. Well...I have a nice new starter that will probably last the life of the truck now.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even in the last 2 years harbor freight has upped their tool game considerably.
their exact knock off of the snap on jack kind of started it all. It must have been exact as snap on sued them.
I have said jack called Daytona and it's awesome.
their pro series tools are more than good enough for the home mechanic and carry a lifetime warranty. I've yet to break a pro series wrench, ratchet or socket.
I just picked up a slim line "braun" led rechargeable light there and it's fantastic. All aluminum and super string magnet.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Good to know! I never had much luck with them but maybe I wrote them off too soon.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:16 PM

They used to be all junk but I've been impressed with all the "higher line" stuff they have released. They have tons of direct comparisons with name brand stuff like snap on. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee etc.
go in and check out their better stuff they have and you will like them more. Get a catalog mailed to you maybe.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Harbor Freight might not be the highest quality tools, but I agree, they have improved considerably.

Some of their tools are still hit and miss (like their snap ring pliers), but you are likely find more tools that last a reasonable amount of time now compared to a few years ago.

Plus, who doesn't like a free flashlight or tape measure when you are only buying a $0.79 funnel set and $8.00 pack of gloves?

I mostly use Harbor Freight disposable products like gloves and tarps, but buy the occasional specialty tool that I will only use a few times without breaking the bank.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:08 PM

I have tons of their stuff. Only POS was the compression tester I bought than returned. And the shrink tubing I recently returned.
all the tools have been good. I even have plenty of power tools from there.
and yes, tons of free gifts haha.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have some HF tools that have lasted decades in a hobby usage environment. Some don't get used much like (RAD4 is gonna kill me here) the $8 multimeter. I left it on evidently the last time I used it, quite a while ago - all I had to do was open it swap the battery et voila. OH! ! ! I made sure the connectors were . . . bright shiny metal
Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 PM

I have their free multi and therTheir 59 dollar (minus 20% ) auto ranging multi meter. The auto ranging I've had like 3 years. I certainly don't use it daily but it works when I need it to.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I have some HF tools that have lasted decades in a hobby usage environment. Some don't get used much like (RAD4 is gonna kill me here) the $8 multimeter. I left it on evidently the last time I used it, quite a while ago - all I had to do was open it swap the battery et voila. OH! ! ! I made sure the connectors were . . . bright shiny metal

Quick, hide this post before RAD4Runner sees it!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
LOL!
I don't mind few-use or non-critical tools from HF, in fact I once got a reciprocating saw for $20 to cut off my upper bump stop for my Zuk mod, then sold it at work for $15
Also got a 7-function with clamp-on ammeter that stays in my truck for rough and tumble duty but turns out the ammeter is only for AC! Oh well. Works well anyway.

I also got an impact socket set for breaking stubborn bolts when I did my upper ball-joints.

And love HF's goatskin riding gloves. Unlike mechanics gloves with synthetic palms they don't get sloppy from exposure to engine oil and they fit like gloves!

Had bad experience with HF's $100 generator, though. Needed on to work on truck when we lived in a condo without nearby outlet. That thing stopped working after a few months.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
LOL!
I don't mind few-use or non-critical tools from HF, in fact I once got a reciprocating saw for $20 to cut off my upper bump stop for my Zuk mod, then sold it at work for $15
Also got a 7-function with clamp-on ammeter that stays in my truck for rough and tumble duty but turns out the ammeter is only for AC! Oh well. Works well anyway.

I also got an impact socket set for breaking stubborn bolts when I did my upper ball-joints.

And love HF's goatskin riding gloves. Unlike mechanics gloves with synthetic palms they don't get sloppy from exposure to engine oil and they fit like gloves!

Had bad experience with HF's $100 generator, though. Needed on to work on truck when we lived in a condo without nearby outlet. That thing stopped working after a few months.
I have their 289.00 4k watt generator and it has worked when I needed it for the last about 3 years. I run synthetic in it and stabil in the gas and it always starts when needed.
their new "Ames" brand meters and stuff look good and they compare them to fluke brand in their ads