Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Help!! 82 Toyota pickup Sr5 22r 4 cyl starting issues, dies when clutch released

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! 82 Toyota pickup Sr5 22r 4 cyl starting issues, dies when clutch released

Hey everybody!! Got a problem... So, I'm having a problem with my 82 Toyota pickup Sr5 22r 4cly. I cannot start the truck without the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. Once I start releasing the clutch pedal it starts to die. I just recently replaced the whole clutch, pressure plate, bearings and even the flywheel. Also replaced master and slave cylinders. No avail!! If I try starting the truck without pushing in clutch it lunges forward as if I'm in gear. Can anyone help??

Last edited by jkennard2633@Gmail.c; 08-31-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
welcome to YT, i tweeked your title a little bit.
best of luck getting your issue fixed
Old 08-31-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by jkennard2633@Gmail.c
Hey everybody!! Got a problem... So, I'm having a problem with my 82 Toyota pickup Sr5 22r 4cly. If I try starting the truck without pushing in clutch it lunges forward as if I'm in gear. Can anyone help??
That means that it IS in gear. Look to the tranny and shifter parts.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
welcome to YT, i tweeked your title a little bit.
best of luck getting your issue fixed
Thanks😃
Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by millball
That means that it IS in gear. Look to the tranny and shifter parts.
I'm a newbie so not real clear on what you mean. Look to the tranny as in rebuild?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 PM

I'm a newbie so not real clear on what you mean. Look to the tranny as in rebuild?
At this point no one knows how major, or how small the problem might be.

I'm just telling you where to start troubleshooting.

Maybe its just a crumbled shifter bushing-- easily repaired.

Maybe its a bent or broken shifter fork-- requires tranny rebuild.

Sounds like you might need to secure the help of a more car savvy friend to help you in real time.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
are you sure you got the clutch disc installed the correct way ??
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You likely are in gear. Just to be clear. Are you saying that you had this problem, then did the clutch work, and now still have the same problem? Tell us about the first time you had the issue. For example, "It was running good on Tuesday when I parked it and then when I got back in it Wednesday, it started doing whatever it's doing."Or "It was running fine then I felt something pop and the next time I tried to start it, this happened."

How does the shift linkage feel if you try to put it into each of the gears with it not running? Notice anything different than before the issue started? What happens if you try and shift it to reverse, then start it with the clutch pedal in and then try to back up?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Charchee
You likely are in gear. Just to be clear. Are you saying that you had this problem, then did the clutch work, and now still have the same problem? Tell us about the first time you had the issue. For example, "It was running good on Tuesday when I parked it and then when I got back in it Wednesday, it started doing whatever it's doing."Or "It was running fine then I felt something pop and the next time I tried to start it, this happened."

How does the shift linkage feel if you try to put it into each of the gears with it not running? Notice anything different than before the issue started? What happens if you try and shift it to reverse, then start it with the clutch pedal in and then try to back up?
I was having this problem before replacing clutch. Everything was fine until I drove it one day and when I turned it off I heard like a rattling noise. So I immediately drive it home and while it was parked but still running I was hearing what seemed like marbles in a paint can. When I would shift to go into gear i would hear a cluncking noise and it would hesitate but go forward or in reverse. Then after doing that a couple times i heard one loud clunk and than the noise stopped but I could no longer start the truck without pressing in clutch. I do remember seeing little bearings next to the bellhousing after pulling my trans to clutch repair. I'll post audio once I figure out how to.
Shift linkage feels fine without the truck running.
I get nothing when I try and put it in reverse with the truck running. As soon as I let off the clutch pedal it wants to stall out. If I release the clutch truck stalls out and i hear a horrible noise. So i have to keep clutch pushed in to turn off.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 PM

I was having this problem before replacing clutch. Everything was fine until I drove it one day and when I turned it off I heard like a rattling noise. So I immediately drive it home and while it was parked but still running I was hearing what seemed like marbles in a paint can. When I would shift to go into gear i would hear a cluncking noise and it would hesitate but go forward or in reverse. Then after doing that a couple times i heard one loud clunk and than the noise stopped but I could no longer start the truck without pressing in clutch. I do remember seeing little bearings next to the bellhousing after pulling my trans to clutch repair. I'll post audio once I figure out how to.
Shift linkage feels fine without the truck running.
I get nothing when I try and put it in reverse with the truck running. As soon as I let off the clutch pedal it wants to stall out. If I release the clutch truck stalls out and i hear a horrible noise. So i have to keep clutch pushed in to turn off.
So, I figure I probably will need a new tran
Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 AM

So, I figure I probably will need a new tran
UPDATE!!!! Fixed it!!! The clutch cylinder just needed to be bled more. Drove it around the block and she's shifting and running great. Don't have to sell now.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
WHICH clutch cylinder? The master on the firewall, or the slave cylinder @ the trans? If it's the master, you've prolly got it licked.

I only ask because I've had a ton of trouble in the past with air in the system, and not being able to bleed it out. Even using a vacuum pump bleeder didn't work. What I ended up doing was pushing the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor and wedging it there with a piece of 2x4 overnight. Allowed all the air bubbles to come to the top, get out of the master cylinder and into the resevoir. Never had a problem since.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 13Swords
WHICH clutch cylinder? The master on the firewall, or the slave cylinder @ the trans? If it's the master, you've prolly got it licked.

I only ask because I've had a ton of trouble in the past with air in the system, and not being able to bleed it out. Even using a vacuum pump bleeder didn't work. What I ended up doing was pushing the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor and wedging it there with a piece of 2x4 overnight. Allowed all the air bubbles to come to the top, get out of the master cylinder and into the resevoir. Never had a problem since.
Thats a good idea with the 2x4. Keep it in mind for the future. What I'm referring is the slave cylinder. I replaced both(master and the slave) when I replaced the clutch. Honestly, I probably could have just gotten away with replacing the master, slave cylinders without replacing clutch. Aside from flywheel needing replaced, clutch was fine.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 AM

We did'nt get the whole story here.

The OP did'nt appear to be able to fint tranny neutral???