Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Has anyone installed AIR CONDITION into their truck that has never had AC before?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Has anyone installed AIR CONDITION into their truck that has never had AC before?

I'm thinking about installing air conditioning into my 1982 truck that has never had AC before and have a few questions, please...

1) Where did you buy the AC kit?

2) When I desmogged the truck I took off the smog pump and bracket that holds it. Do I need that bracket and/or the smog pump to make the AC install work?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I bought a unit from Old Air Products out of Fort Worth Tx, that I have mostly installed in my build. It run around $1200, but there are others. I'm about to finish up the electrical wiring, the hardware side is complete except the vent tubing. You can see the process at my build "Lons81 Toy Long Bed Rebuild" page 6
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. When I desmogged my 82 truck I also pulled off the smog pump and bracket that holds it. Do I need that for the AC?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 PM

I don't think the smog pump bracket can be used for the compressor. I'd have see on that. I built my own bracket out off aluminum. Also desmogged my engine bay. Don't need that crap where I live in Texas.

The guy who who bought Dave's truck also put a/c in and lives in Houston. You might want to inquire what he did. His thread

"KawaZX636's 1983 Toyota Pickup Lives On"

Old 08-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
just did it in my 91. I did a head gasket job for a friend of mine on his 93 and the rig had AC in it not working. He said to take it if I wanted it.
It was an r12 setup the same as my 91. It was totally empty. I swapped everything over, converted to r134, replaced the dryer and cleaned it up, put a vacuum on it and filled it. Works killer! Blows mighty cold.
It is easy to swap over. Everything is there to mount right up including electrical. Helps to have the vacuum pump and gauges. The shop charges a fortune to pump, purge and fill.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
just did it in my 91.
Big difference talking 1982 to 1991 in terms of what stock parts are available.

OP, keep the thread updated please. Interested in the solution that works for you. I'm planning an AC install on my 83, and would like to keep it somewhat factory on the interior and evaporator portions.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing an a/c or HVAC system into a vehicle that did not come factory with it is going to be pricey if your planning on all new parts. That's the nature of A/C, your best bet is to find a donor that is the same set up as what you have that has a/c and install what you need for it then replace whatever parts you need. I have done this on a couple different types of vehicles including heavy equipment and it is always easier and cheaper to find a donor.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 AM

I agree with Brandon, it is cheaper to find a donor for the major parts like compressor, mounting bracket, lines if good and the inside heater/inside unit. Most all the other parts are pretty cheap to replace. Then you'll need to wire up and install control unit since your truck probably doesn't have the wiring needed

The main reason I went with new, I'm doing a total upgrade under the dash with new wiring harness/gauges, etc. and there are no 1st gen stuff in any
junkyards in my area
Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I had some really sketchy A/C in my 83 when I first got it. Dude before me was "creative" to say the least. The system didn't work anymore so I tossed it. I didn't think to keep the copper sections and service lines either. The switch was built into the fan knob and added another ring to the outside edge of the knob that spun independently. the hole for the knob was also enlarged and a bunch of ring terminals were screwed together to make up the systems controls. All of the wiring was just crimped into the existing wiring harness. it was an add on kit and it was terrible, it damaged the wiring harness, shorted out some stuff, damaged the trim in the dash, damaged the fan controls, made the other cables strain to fit around and difficult to move, hung significantly lower on the passenger side under the dash, and over all worked my motor to even test. That was a kit designed for that truck, I spent a bit of time reversing damaged interior parts from that. I'm not telling you not to do it, just keep in mid that if it wasn't available as an option, it could end up more costly than you might think. Currently, I've been wondering how I can build a system based on using parts from something else, mainly small econo cars or mini SUV parts. I desmogged and went to a GM Alternator, also have a fan to replace the clutch fan.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Sounds like a great idea for 1st gen trucks. I may price out separate items from my kit and see if there a considerable saving for a bare DIY install. I know I had to modify the wiring that came with mine, shortening, combined connectors for electronic control, to clean up area behind dash. The hardware was an easy install, but had to make compressor bracket, mount plate for inside unit, get right size condenser, modify line from condenser to fit through the openings in the radiator cross brace. Stuff like is what holds up an install